Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thunder at Christmas

virtualsphere

Posted

Nice to see some folks have heard thunder today. As we've been unable to enjoy a white Christmas this year at least a few posters have had a chance to experience some convective weather instead.

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread to see who has heard thunder or seen a storm at Christmas in the past. At this time of year, I'd guess it is mainly those near to the coast.

Here in SW Wales, I've heard thunder twice on Christmas Day - 1997 and 2009, both in a RPm set-up in a SW flow. In 1997, I was awoken in the early hours by a huge crash of thunder. There was only the one, and I heard no more throughout the day.

post-8245-0-77415900-1356471918_thumb.gi

2009 was more eventful and isolated to our area. During the cold spell, milder air tried to push in from the SW on Christmas Day which started very cold and frosty, with sheet ice on the pavements and roads making the driving very treacherous. Later in the afternoon, the temperature rose and the ice melted, and by the time we left my wife's family to drive home heavy showers had started to push in, and it was raining steadily. Shortly after arriving home at 6:40pm, there was a huge crash which knocked out the power, and this was followed by several more accompanied by torrential rain. The storm was short lived and we settled down in front of the TV, but it wasn't long before a second thundery shower pushed in with a couple of close strikes which tripped the switch again.

Fortunately the milder weather was shortlived and we went on to experience some classic winter weather in late December 2009 and January 2010.

post-8245-0-62466900-1356471934_thumb.gi

Apologies if this should be in the historic weather thread but thought it would be of more interest in here. Merry Christmas to everyone smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There was thunder here on Christmas Day 1999 during a lively westerly showery spell. Perhaps the most notable thunder and lightning was actually on the 26th as it lasted longer but both days experienced thunder, hail and slushy sleet.

Posted

I'm sure there may have been thunder here during christmas 1999 but it is a very rare thing indeed (lucky bonus for some in the south east yesterday)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thunder in the southwest today, video taken by me:

Posted

Nice video! Sounds like Boxing Day is more active where you are.

Here's the fax chart for 1999, not aware of anything here that day but sounds like it was quite active:

post-8245-0-13417900-1356558942_thumb.gi

Here's yesterday - I guess the trough over the SE was probably responsible for the storms there:

post-8245-0-77331300-1356558882_thumb.gi

And here's 2009 which I mentioned above, they are all quite similar in terms of the positioning of the low and the general flow coming from the north, swinging round across the Atlantic west of Ireland and then approaching the UK from the SW.

post-8245-0-99481800-1356558875_thumb.gi

The 2009 chart is for 26th, as the thunder here was in the evening so the 00z chart is closer to the synoptics at the time.

All have a fairly similar rPM set-up with the flow originating from the north, and swinging around in the Atlantic west of Ireland before approaching the UK from the SW.

Fax chart archive courtesy of Wetterzentrale at http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/tkfaxbraar.htm

Posted

Well we have thunder in Eastbourne currently, if this is still classed as Christmas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Cracking storm this morning, torrential rain and some good loud roof shakers. This has been our second storm in December this year. We've had virtually no thunder and lightning for the last few years here so it's good to see, especially as the dog is starting to lose his hearing and doesn't react unless the thunder is overhead. He used to get in such a state I've dreaded having a storm because it's so distressing for him.

Funny that the winter has created a lot of disappointment after the failed easterly yet down here we've had snow on Nov 4th, two thunderstorms and flooding, hardly a benign start to the season.

Posted

Well we have thunder in Eastbourne currently, if this is still classed as Christmas?

Well technically there are 12 days of Christmas so why not... are your decorations still up? :D

Cracking storm this morning, torrential rain and some good loud roof shakers. This has been our second storm in December this year. We've had virtually no thunder and lightning for the last few years here so it's good to see, especially as the dog is starting to lose his hearing and doesn't react unless the thunder is overhead.

Funnily enough I had a storm overnight - three claps between 5 and 6am and saw one bright lightning flash. Only the second thunder I've heard this year. Hope your dog is OK - mine used to hide before a storm hit and I could never work out how he knew unless he could sense something in the atmosphere (or maybe he had a secret NW extra subscription).