Sign in to follow this  
The PIT

Atlantic Storms 2013

If this keeps going at thus pace it's going to flood river near my work is now rising and filthy looking lol

The river level on the Soar hasn't dropped today as expected by the EA, the amounts on the fields running off has kept the level in the red. The next batch should fill the fields back up!!

Well skies have cleared, very gusty though. Strange

Going by the radar, its cleared

Edited by Thunder Snow

It's been pretty quiet all night all of a sudden it has decided to get very gusty on my morning comute. Fun though.

A very event in recent years. A prolonged spell of windy weather starting yesterday evening and continuing.

Gusted to 60 mph yesterday and up to 58 mph this morning.

In recent years prolonged storms have absent and any strong gusts associated with weather fronts lasting only an hour or so.

Beeb are keen to give northern areas thundery showers with hail/snow on the back-edge along the front into New Years morning. Could very well be worth charging the camera up for anyone lucky enough to get the possibility of lightning amongst the midnight fireworks.

Very heavy rain piling in here, some+ gusty winds too

Radar accumulations show some places have had 50mm / 2 inches of rain already such as NW Wales and NW England

Well it's been a long time since I was able to post charts like these!! Next week could be interesting, bring it on Posted Image

post-9615-0-30466600-1359027186_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-50009200-1359027109_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-95902300-1359027203_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-79732000-1359027210_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Looks like we could be back to needing boats rather than skies to get around next week too.

Posted Image

Should be some interesting weather coming up even if it's not snowy and cold.

ECM has a 922mb low in the Atlantic on Saturday, must be close to the deepest ever recorded?

Posted Image

Yes Peter going to be a big shock to the system! Definitely potential as we go through next week for some serious & disruptive wind storms and flooding.

ECM has a 922mb low in the Atlantic on Saturday, must be close to the deepest ever recorded?

Posted Image

The Braer Storm January 1993 was the most intense North Atlantic depression with a central pressure of 914mb, so it's getting close but not quite Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia....of_January_1993

BBC weather forecast for the 10th January 1993, very severe!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuqNJVFVznU

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 3

The jet modelled for the weekend onwards looks incredibly strong. Hold on to your hats people!

Edited by Chris W
  • Like 1

Yes Peter going to be a big shock to the system! Definitely potential as we go through next week for some serious & disruptive wind storms and flooding.

Ive a few sheds,caravans, greenhouses and polytunnels.so Atlantic storms trigger my alarm more than most i suppose.

Well it's been a long time since I was able to post charts like these!! Next week could be interesting, bring it on Posted Image

post-9615-0-30466600-1359027186_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-50009200-1359027109_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-95902300-1359027203_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-79732000-1359027210_thumb.pn

Loving the look of these charts, Liam! It's been too quiet for the past few months, and 2012 as a whole, whereas 2011 was dominated by gales. Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Loving the look of these charts, Liam! It's been too quiet for the past few months, and 2012 as a whole, whereas 2011 was dominated by gales.

I think we're just about to get our fix! Some really stormy looking charts getting churned out and I had a quick look through the GEFS panels and there is certainly some alarming charts showing intense depressions tracking over the UK especially during Monday & Tuesday.

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

GFS says 100mm of rain here by Tuesday, that'll strip away the snow all right and probably cause some floods.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Big gusts likely to be heading to the North:

Posted Image

@Coast. To our north as in miss the Uk altogether or is it a typical track were western north western Ireland and Scotland take a hit?

@Coast. To our north as in miss the Uk altogether or is it a typical track were western north western Ireland and Scotland take a hit?

I think it may catch mainland UK, not sure exactly where - Ireland and Scotalnd will get battered!

Posted Image

post-6667-0-49474100-1359116068_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-02700700-1359116080_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-52241000-1359116074_thumb.pn

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Batten down the hatches me thinks just in case. Posted Image Looks like with all the rain as well we could be heading for another landslide.

Edited by Shadow

ECM has the low at around 923mb, quite a beast

Posted Image

An awful lot of rain too, with 100-150mm possible in the W and NW over the next week or so

Posted Image

Strong winds on Monday/Tuesday with 70mph+ gusts

Posted Image

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1