Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Habsish

Wrights vapourizer

Getting to the end of my last bottle of fluid. I have not been able find any replacement apart from a part used bottle at the back of my mum's medicine cabinet. Apparently it is no longer made.

Don't use it very often but find it useful if a really bad cold takes over.

Anyone got any suggestion? Olbas oil has very little in their bottles and cost a fortune.

H

Getting to the end of my last bottle of fluid. I have not been able find any replacement apart from a part used bottle at the back of my mum's medicine cabinet. Apparently it is no longer made.

Don't use it very often but find it useful if a really bad cold takes over.

Anyone got any suggestion? Olbas oil has very little in their bottles and cost a fortune.

H

Habsish I believe the original fluid contained coal tar, which has now been recognised as a carcinogen. In fact in concentrations greater than 5% volume it is a group one carcinogen, the same group as asbestos and radium. It was efficacious for various ailments but the obvious dangers mean it has rightly been banned in beauty and medicinal products. Many substances that were regarded as safe in the past are now classed as dangerous.

As for an alternative I don't have specifics but might I make a suggestion to point you in the right direction? Pine tar is a good alternative to coal tar and much safer, perhaps this could be used to replicate the formula. Or perhaps try making a mix of neat Eucalyptus and Tea Tree oils which can be obtained more cheaply than olbas and are both excellent decongestants and anti bacterials. Hope this was helpful.

I'd almost forgotten it, but now you come to mention it I can remember the smell and the flicker of the nightlight as I coughed myself to sleep with some foul disease or other as a child.

Given the horrors that coal tar is doubtless thought to contain, it's probably not a surprise that it's not sold any more.

Ebay do sometimes seem to sell vintage bits and bobs including the liquid, but whether it would still be effective is anyone's guess.

Otherwise, have you tried sitting over a bowl of hot water with a towel over your head, with Karvol (other brands are available) capsules, dissolved Vic (ditto), Friar's balsam or eucalyptus oil in? Eucalyptus oil might possibly provide some relief in an aromatherapy vapouriser generally. It's probably against 'elf and safety to use vapourisers in bedrooms at night these days...

The formular was changed in later years to supposedly take out the harmful elements. Where as it was a gloppy dark fluid the more recent incarnation is clear.

Going down the aroma therapy route might be the way to go with Eucalyptus a possible oil.

Still got some creosote so could possibly try that (joke).

It's probably against 'elf and safety to use vapourisers in bedrooms at night these days...

If they had their way you wouldn't do anything in bed other than sleeping.

If they had their way you wouldn't do anything in bed other than sleeping.

Actually you can buy vapourisers and they are perfectly safe. Vicks makes a model.