Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Russian weather

keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Looks like some very impressive cold. Just 19 days in, seems a little early to be calling for the harshest winter in decades though?

I wonder what Devonian will say.

Maybe that it's weather?

Perhaps you should keep your digs to the climate and environment area.

Posted

The Moscow heatwave was weather too of course.

Hey maybe things are getting more extreme.

Good mileage in that concept. blum.gif

Posted

This is bloody cold!!http://rt.com/tags/weather/

It's worth thinking (it being December) about the very first line of the article: "Russia is enduring its harshest winter in over 70 years," ...

In answer to four's jibing, if it last for as long and as extremely at the Russian heatwave I'll take as much note of it as I did that.

Posted

Same severe weather effecting Ukraine NINETEEN people have died of exposure in Ukraine in the past 24 hours amid temperatures of minus 20C, bringing the toll this month to 37, the health ministry says.

Some 190 people asked for medical attention because of hypothermia and frostbite, and 162 of them were hospitalised, the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.

The ex-Soviet country straddling Russia and the European Union was hit with a cold snap and snowstorms which left nearly 600 villages without electricity last week.

Temperatures fell to minus 16C in the centre and south of the country and to minus 23C in eastern Lugansk region.

Ukraine's emergency ministry said on Monday it opened over 200 emergency shelters in the country.

Posted

Meanwhile Norway has seen up to 4 metres of snow in the south

http://www.storm.no/nyheter/hvor-snoer-det-minst-3950243.html

(in Norwegian, chrome will translate)

Sturluson

Clap along

Delightful one can run naked through Greenland with a bunch furious mullhaer after him ;)

ohmy.pngnonono.gif

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4516691089846

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

So 'snow' is 'snø' in Norwegian - a bit like 'ale' being 'øl' :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

It's worth thinking (it being December) about the very first line of the article: "Russia is enduring its harshest winter in over 70 years," ...

In answer to four's jibing, if it last for as long and as extremely at the Russian heatwave I'll take as much note of it as I did that.

We've got a vacancy for a 'jetstream trainer' - anybody interested?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

post-2752-0-70588600-1356004815_thumb.jp

Let's not forget that Russia is a big place! It is concerning , to me, to see the scale and positioning of the warm anoms?

We all know that central Europe will get warm over Spring and summer but keeping it mild over the Areas that should have perishing cold??

We have oddities in the Arctic Basin with ice outside the basin and a lack of it in areas in the basin. That outside the basain has always been seasonal and so is negligable in it's impacts. that inside the basin was inportant in it's influences on N.Hemisphere circulation patterns.

We seem to be seeing the same now over Eurasia with the permafrosts in the north kept warm and the central 'heatwave struck' areas having extremes over winter as well?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Presumably that tiddly map shows anomolies, in which case I'm sure it's still eleventy nine degrees below freezing in Siberia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some very cold weather heading for Moscow this weekend with highs of -14c on Saturday and -20c on Sunday

Russians are also struggling to cope the the extreme cold and snow which is unusual for them as they normally cope well in Winter

http://climaterealists.com/index.php?id=10799&linkbox=true&position=3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Some very cold weather heading for Moscow this weekend with highs of -14c on Saturday and -20c on Sunday

Russians are also struggling to cope the the extreme cold and snow which is unusual for them as they normally cope well in Winter

http://climaterealis...true&position=3

its the same temperature in Calgary -18c to -20c and -27c with the windchill..didnt stopping walking to starbucks for a coffee in just my jumper though..not sure what all the fuss is about?

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

its the same temperature in Calgary -18c to -20c and -27c with the windchill..didnt stopping walking to starbucks for a coffee in just my jumper though..not sure what all the fuss is about?

Maybe a lack of starbucks over there?

• 2 months later...
Posted

Blizzards hit Russia and Poland again

Emergency services in Poland are trying to clear icy roads and restore power to thousands of homes after heavy snow over Easter.

Polish national radio says more than 100,000 homes had no electricity on Monday, after trees collapsed on some power lines. Poland's central and eastern provinces were worst hit.

There were hundreds of domestic fires at the weekend, many caused by faulty heaters. Five people died in blazes.

Moscow also has unusually heavy snow.

Russia's state weather centre says the blanket of snow in Moscow reached 65cm (25in) on Monday - that is 9cm more than previous records for 1 April, dating back to 1895 and 1942.

Polish TV said about 30cm of snow fell across Poland on Sunday, making many roads impassable and delaying dozens of flights.

Residents of Katowice and Bialystok told the Associated Press that they had never witnessed such weather before at Easter.

Posted

if it last for as long and as extremely at the Russian heatwave I'll take as much note of it as I did that.

How long did that last, I think the cold extremes are winning this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In July 2010, Moscow's mean temperature was 7.4C above the 1961-90 average and the mean max, 32.0, was some 8.9C above. Even compared with the 1981-2010 average, it was a phenomenal heatwave and without precedent in the instrumental era. It's fair to say, though, that since 2009, cold winters have outnumbered mild ones over much of Europe (2008/09 was cold in NW Europe but mild in E Europe).

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Massive geiser erupts in Russia

Edited by keithlucky