Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - December 19th 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

My home weather station always seems to under-read against the nearest, official one at The Weather Shop (about 2 miles away), but the overnight rain totals tally far too well...

http://www.weathersh...therdisplaylive

Hi, just a quick question and I know I've asked this before, so apologies...

What would you think is the best weather station for under £100? Tbh I'm only really interested in stats derived from temperature and rainfall. Dew point, pressure, wind speed (as I would struggle to get a reasonable reading where I live) sunshine amounts etc. are superfluous to my needs.

It's about time (and a good time, near a new year) that I started my own records.

Posted

Hi, just a quick question and I know I've asked this before, so apologies...

£100? Has to be this one:

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/collections/special-offers/technoline-ws2350-weather-station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

http://www.weathersh...weather-station

Cheers!drinks.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

http://www.weathersh...weather-station

I tell you that that weather station doesn't survive being 'accidently' dropped by your wife. Mine is still all smashed up in a box in my garage!

Posted

Got home last night to discover they had changed all the street lamps in my road to LED/halogen ones from the old Sodium yellow units. Whilst I applaud East Sussex CC for their Eco-Friendly, energy saving initiative it's really dark out there now and it's going to play havoc with any snow-watch activities next year!! doh.gif

Edited by Coast

Got home last night to discover they had changed all the street lamps in my road to LED/halogen ones from the old Sodium yellow units. Whilst I applaud East Sussex CC for their Eco-Friendly, energy saving initiative it's really dark out there now and it's going to play havoc with any snow-watch activities next year!! doh.gif

They are not that bad actually I have them down my road and when we had that snow a few weeks back they were "effective" lol

Posted

I tell you that that weather station doesn't survive being 'accidently' dropped by your wife. Mine is still all smashed up in a box in my garage!

You need to write a letter to Santa. :) Wives can be such a menace sometimes. tease.gif

Here we currently have a temp of 6.2c and I think it's stopped raining. Well pup braved the garden so I suspect it has. :D I have no personal records of rainfall but nearest weather station says 10mm.

Last day at work today. Yipee! Have a good day everyone.

Posted

They are not that bad actually I have them down my road and when we had that snow a few weeks back they were "effective" lol

Thank you for that S, I'm a little less stressed and probably won't write a complaint letter to them now!! laugh.png

Edited by Coast

Posted

Shopping Centre roof collapse being out own to high winds now, but I didn't register anything abnormal last night???

Roof collapses in high winds at Langney Shopping Centre

Published on Thursday 20 December 2012 07:27

Stormy winds last night saw the collapse of roofing at Langney Shopping Centre. Firefighters were called out to the Eastbourne shopping centre at 4.38am because of fire alarms going off, only discover the partial roof collapse. No-one was injured as police and fire crews made the building safe. A building inspector is currently on the scene surveying the damage. East Sussex Fire & Rescue reported that despite the gale-force winds overnight there were no major incidents in the region, with fire services busier in the west of the county.

Meanwhile with more rain and wind expected today, motorists are being advised to take extra care while using motorways and major trunk roads. Successive periods of rain moving across England and Wales are falling on wet ground leading to the potential for excess surface water on some roads. The rain is expected to continue until 3pm today. Rob Keep, Highways Agency South East Emergency Planning Manager, said: “Drivers should slow down in wet conditions and take extra care.

“When the road surface is wet, it can take twice as long to stop, so drivers are advised to slow down and maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front. Driving too quickly through water can cause aquaplaning and loss of control of your vehicle which can lead to accidents. “Drivers are advised to check the weather and traffic conditions and leave extra time for their journeys as weather conditions could lead to delays.â€

Motorists are advised to check traffic information on the Highways Agency website http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information/ before travelling, look out for motorway messages and listen for radio traffic and travel updates.

The Highways Agency, which operates and maintains motorways and the strategic road network in England, is working closely with the Met Office, other government agencies and emergency services to continually monitor weather conditions and maintain safe roads and reliable journeys. Highways Agency traffic officers across England will be monitoring weather and traffic conditions around the clock and will be on hand to quickly respond to incidents, while colleagues in regional control centres will be monitoring CCTV cameras, answering emergency telephone calls and setting advisory signs for drivers to warn of spray and other road conditions.

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local-news/roof-collapses-in-high-winds-at-langney-shopping-centre-1-4603901

Posted

Thank you for that S, I'm a little less stressed and probably won't write a complaint letter to them now!! laugh.png

Dear East Sussex Council

I would like to complain about the change in lamppost, which I may add, came about without my prior knowledge or indeed my consent.

This has resulted in serious personal injury, due to the necessity to erect a ladder enabling me to climb closer to the light because of it's inability to hi-light the snow to my personal satisfaction. Snow as you may well know, is a serious business, and I have a duty to the Net Weather forum to report said snow as soon as it falls within the vicinity of my house.

I know have a two broken legs and seriously dented pride. And most important of all, I was unable to report the said snowflake the instant it descended from the night sky. My credibility is now in tatters, East Sussex council, and I hold you entirely responsible.

You will be hearing from claims direct in the not to distant future.

Yours

Coast.

Posted

Shopping Centre roof collapse being out own to high winds now, but I didn't register anything abnormal last night???

http://www.eastbourn...entre-1-4603901

Thank heavens this happened during the night. I do not want to begin to imagine if that happened during a busy shopping period.

Posted

And most important of all, I was unable to report the said snowflake the instant it descended from the night sky. .

Definitely most important of all!!! rofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted

16.2mm has fallen since the rain started last night.. more to come during the course of today. Saturday also looks pretty wet looking at the models, though tomorrow should be dry.

Quick question Dunstable are you the legend that is Philip Eden?

I am not I'm afraid ! Wish I had his weather knowledge and experience to bring to this forum ! I know that he used to live in Luton. Not sure where he resides these days.

DS, my understanding that he is not far from you and somewhere at the top of Dunstable Downs near the zoo, always tried to look out for a weather station when going to the zoobiggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Very wet here this morning. It's been raining since the early hours and it's still going strong. It's as dark as Hades as well. :o

Hope you all have a good day and please drive carefully. Just think too; this time next week it'll all be over. Lots of love, Ms BA Humbug. :D

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

http://rt.com/news/r...emperature-379/

i like cold weather but strewth ohmy.png

While in this country we drown :(

Posted

look like i will have to go to asda now! 'slaps bum'

seeing as i herd nothing last night i thought we got away with it!mega_shok.gif

Edited by chmape

Posted

look like i will have to go to asda now! 'slaps bum'

Don't go on Sunday, it will be murder!

The start of Saturday also a wet one, NW Extra NMM charts just coming into the time-frame and you can imagine what's coming our way after this:

post-6667-0-73092500-1356000487_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-08437000-1356000502_thumb.pn

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

I dont have any street light where i live,so its pitch black out there at night,i dont lamp post watch i security light watch,i just wave my hand in front of itclapping.gif

Posted

i just wave my hand in front of it

Well wave for all of us this Winter then please! a010.gif

Posted