Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Winter Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Thought I'd pop in and see if anything interesting had popped up over Christmas.

Obviously not...if anything the outlook seems even worse, didn't think that was possible!

Never mind, I'll get out of here for a couple of days again. Come back and have another check at the weekend.

I'm tempted just to stay out of here until April and let the weather surprise me!

It isnt that bad, looks settled from new years day, 12Z GFS suggests zonal train running out, snowless outlook but dry

Posted

My gosh one beastly shower passing through, torrential rain and incredibly squally winds right now, really belting it down.

Posted

Oh Azores high, you NEVER reside over our way April - September but BAM of course January is looking full of mild nothingness.

Posted

At least it'll give everyone a much needed drying out. And it's a pattern we haven't seen in a while so that means we won't be stuck in an endless zonal train all winter...and it is something different, just not the different we want!

They're the only positives I've got though!

Still 12 weeks+ potential left anyway...lots of time for good things to come along.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Absolutely certain it's going to be a snowless winter for me. Need a very severe cold spell to deliver all the way down in Falmouth. Annoying to see good summer charts slap bang in winter again. However my positive thinking that cold winters have equalled rubbish summers so a mild winter may equal a good summer. I know it's a load of tosh but we can live in hope. 2013 will be 7 years since the last good summer! Well overdue one now!

Posted

Absolutely certain it's going to be a snowless winter for me. Need a very severe cold spell to deliver all the way down in Falmouth. Annoying to see good summer charts slap bang in winter again. However my positive thinking that cold winters have equalled rubbish summers so a mild winter may equal a good summer. I know it's a load of tosh but we can live in hope. 2013 will be 7 years since the last good summer! Well overdue one now!

We seem to be overdue on a lot of things weatherwise. Mother Nature will always be in debt to the UK and she has no intention of paying it seems.

Posted

We seem to be overdue on a lot of things weatherwise. Mother Nature will always be in debt to the UK and she has no intention of paying it seems.

i dont think that statment is entierly true, scotland for example has seen fair bit of snow this winter, where as the majority of england hasnt, last summer by the mid june we were worried it would be a thunderless summer, boy were we wrong, i just dont think we can expect the two best things at one time, we had storms last year not sun, last winter we had percip not cold, the winter before we had the cold not the percip and so far this winter we definately have the percip but not the cold and living in a maritime climate it seems to be rare to get both. also i still belive we will see a good spell of cold and snow and in no senses am i worried about a snowless winter.... yet

Posted

i dont think that statment is entierly true, scotland for example has seen fair bit of snow this winter, where as the majority of england hasnt, last summer by the mid june we were worried it would be a thunderless summer, boy were we wrong, i just dont think we can expect the two best things at one time, we had storms last year not sun, last winter we had percip not cold, the winter before we had the cold not the percip and so far this winter we definately have the percip but not the cold and living in a maritime climate it seems to be rare to get both. also i still belive we will see a good spell of cold and snow and in no senses am i worried about a snowless winter.... yet

Fair enough...there'll always be exceptions and in most seasons we do get a least a few days of the weather type we're looking for, usually more. I understand you're point and maybe it was unfair of me to say UK...particuarly in a regional thread! I think what I'm getting at is that it would be nice to the pieces fall into place more often. We get the right patterns at the wrong time. I certainly won't write off winter for a long time yet, it's just unfortunate that we get pressure rises to the south now. There's nothing to say that we won't in June though. I wouldn't change anything about our climate though.

I have to say that I am quietly optimistic for the rest of winter. Only because there are still 3 months+ of potential to go. Even if we have to write off the first half of January that still leaves us plenty of time. In fact even if the whole of January is written off that still leaves us 2 months at least!

Posted

Still feel people overestimating the mildness from 02 Jan, brief toppler new years day, then high settling over us, should be frosty nights, and max temps of 1-2C

thats of course if the high nearer the time isnt modelled further south, the way it is now, Scotland looks mild, England and wales cold, but sadly do agree with it being snowless due to mild uppers

Posted

It was a thunder less summer here, just about the only place that dodged those June storms shock horror, god 2012 has actually beat 2011 for blandness, it's just been relentlessly wet, dull and murky throughout, the charts are horrific, I know there's no need to check them again till Mid January at the earliest now, the overcast dirge is here to stay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

We could have a little bit of snow tomorrow night

Posted

We could have a little bit of snow tomorrow night

You might 195m asl, but unlikely, winds on wrong angle, only -5 uppers as well, off westerly winds I need -10 uppers or 512 thicknesses, 528 dosent do it

Posted

One thing to look forward to this weekend that has been missing in this zonal spell so far is the squally showers. The zonal spell of December 2011 came with a few strong cold fronts and very squally showers. It's the most exciting weather you can get from a zonal weather set up in this part of the country I reckon. There may be some wintryness in the showers but I very much doubt it this far south.

Something to look out for anyway. A little shimmer of something reflecting out of the turd.

Posted

The rain finally cleared this afternoon and temperatures have fallen back to around average for the time of year. This has left us with quite a quiet evening for once.

However, I don't think this will last. Lots of showers packing in across Ireland now and these should transfer our way on a keen westerly wind. Could be some interesting little squalls about later tonight. In fact, some development over Wales right now. It might not float everyone's boat but no zonal pattern is complete without a good bunch of squally showers around. It's the most excitement we can get from such a set up. Could be wintry over the tops of Shropshire and Derbyshire later in the night as well.

In fact the next couple of days offers the chance of quick squally showers before it settles down for the new year. Much better than what we've had over the past two weeks. A quick showery regieme would be slightly better for the flood situation as well. Although the ideal conditions for that should be with us within days.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A look at the week ahead:

http://forum.netweat...h-january-2013/

We start to dry out!

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Horrendous bad forecasts for today, was meant to be dry, turned out a washout sunday, getting worse before it gets better, 2 washouts in a row, washout tomorrow, then dry for new year

Posted

Horrendous bad forecasts for today, was meant to be dry, turned out a washout sunday, getting worse before it gets better, 2 washouts in a row, washout tomorrow, then dry for new year

Had a few spots of rain here, but yes there seems to have been a constant feed of showers for South Staffs and just North of Birmingham today.

Posted

Got a good feeling about 7-9th feb, not sure why, but you heard it here first!

northerly toppler weekend? break from the mildness, I kinda pick 8-10 Feb for a northerly

Edited by Gimmesomesnow

Posted

Another snowy weekend in February for this year? If it's as good as Saturday 4th February 2012, I'd take it! Should be an annual occurance!

Wasn't as wet today as i feared it would be. The wind is making it seem quite bleak out there with the racing grey skies. Even though we're a million miles away from the set up we want right now, racing clouds and a brisk winds do remind me of winters of my childhood growing up on the Suffolk coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I think one good aspect about the snow of February 4th 2012 was how the precipitation remained as snow for longer than predicted. I remember worrying the snow would be followed by a spell of rain, but it turned out there was nothing more than the odd sport of light rain/drizzle at the end of the of the precipitation bands. I know, to be fair, this still wasn't true for everyone as I think I remember those in the very far North-West of the region reporting brief wet snow followed by sleet/freezing rain for much of the event. With a slightly less-marginal setup for next time, would certainly love a repeat of that event last year (hopefully with those much further North-West/West being able to join in, too), and/or even a repeat of early February 2007. But without any instances of the snow turning into that soggy stuff. blum.gif

Posted

Another snowy weekend in February for this year? If it's as good as Saturday 4th February 2012, I'd take it! Should be an annual occurance!

Wasn't as wet today as i feared it would be. The wind is making it seem quite bleak out there with the racing grey skies. Even though we're a million miles away from the set up we want right now, racing clouds and a brisk winds do remind me of winters of my childhood growing up on the Suffolk coast.

horrendous washout tomorrow, today was a shocker, you were mainly dry, ian brown mainly dry, stafford sucks, amazed the town is not flooded, infact river levels not as high as last sunday

Posted

horrendous washout tomorrow, today was a shocker, you were mainly dry, ian brown mainly dry, stafford sucks, amazed the town is not flooded, infact river levels not as high as last sunday

Cheshire gap feed to come tomorrow as well. Roll on Wednesday !