Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

4/1 available with William Hills for a white Xmas in Glasgow, surely worth a punt as unstable cold air cold be coming South particularly later on Xmas day.

That's very good value, I got 5/1 last week on Belfast which might still be viable but Glasgow's probably a better shout at the moment. Edinburgh is terribly priced at the moment considering the wind direction so I'd steer clear of that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

ho ho ho. Just came across this on winterhighland

Piste information signs, Scottish style....

If it was blowing in the right direction, you could save a bit on a family lift ticket.

post-9421-0-64023100-1356038204_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

On a totally different story apparently someone was daft enough the other day to say people actually lived 'North of the Watford Gap' when we all know clearly "there be dragons".

Well.....Brigadoon it aint!laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Will the river Eden exceed its highest level set 20 years ago?

http://www.sepa.org....x?sd=t&lc=14929

Good chance I'd say if it keeps rising at 10cm per hour whilst it is raining.

That's pretty worrying, is there much flooding in town? I remember a few summers back the Bonnygate got flooded while we were away on holiday.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

That's pretty worrying, is there much flooding in town? I remember a few summers back the Bonnygate got flooded while we were away on holiday.

I don't know, I came back down the Perth road straight to my house by the high school. I think that was a flash flood cause by a thunderstorm but I might be wrong. The A92 wasn't too bad at 6pm, standard flooding we see about 8 or so times per year but I suspect it might be a bit worse by the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Check it oot .The world is nigh tomorrow ..pish.

Maybe it just won't stop raining....diablo.gif

Posted

prectypeuktopo.png

Belfast still looking good for a flake or two!

Sorry if I missed the rest of the run there, found 8/1 on Belfast and 4/1 on Glasgow, not that I'm really a betting man, but potentially a pretty good return for a tenner...

Posted

Pub run very slightly downgrades the frontal snowfall on Boxing evening:

prectypeuktopo.png

But makes up for it with the rest of the run:

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

Right into the New Year:

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Check it oot .The world is nigh tomorrow ..pish.

Like happens at New Year.......perhaps it already started ending in places like Australia etc. hmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

SS liking the look of the traffic cam at Soutra.

Such a dark day, very wet and rather windy, glad i was indoors at my desk most of the day.

Edo just send the details of the party and i'll pop along:)

Have a great night.

wow namechecked in your 1000th post

thats made my birthday......currently smashing it up bouncing my 6mth old bundle of joy on one knee and surfing weather forum on other knee

im hardcore :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Significant white xmas coming if you live on Orkney or shetland, also the northern part of scotland-

enjoy!

Excuse me Mr. Murr I will make my own Christmas plans thank you very much!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The roads are pretty wet up here and the river Don is out of it's banks upstream of the village. That's not particularily unusual and it's not as high as I've seen it previously, but with it forcast to keep raining here pretty much constantly until Sunday I expect it'll be continuing to rise for a while yet. I don't think we've had it as bad as the likes of Tayside & Fife either.

Not sure how well the ski resorts are doing out of this so far. A quick check this morning shows Glenshee certainly has improved (from a poor starting point), Lecht doesn't seems to have suffered from it's low height but hasn't really had much accumulation either, and Cairngorm may have done quite well as the funicular tunnel is blocked it says. I suspect a degree or two cooler would have helped a lot and I didn't notice any of the snow gates being closed overnight so it can't have been that heavy.

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Its the end of the world woo hoo, when should we expect the earth crust displacement to start do you think? biggrin.pngtongue.png

Posted

Not sure how well the ski resorts are doing out of this so far. A quick check this morning shows Glenshee certainly has improved (from a poor starting point), Lecht doesn't seems to have suffered from it's low height but hasn't really had much accumulation either, and Cairngorm may have done quite well as the funicular tunnel is blocked it says. I suspect a degree or two cooler would have helped a lot and I didn't notice any of the snow gates being closed overnight so it can't have been that heavy.

Ravelin

Not as well as they'd hoped, unfortunately, according to posters on http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/

The funicular blockage at Cairn Gorm must just be down to the high winds drifting the existing snow cover as apparently very little snow has made it that far north and west, with flurries only rather than the 'incessant snow' forecast by MWIS. Glenshee has had a lot less than originally forecast - the main precipitation appears to have been further south in Perthshire/Stirlingshire/Fife, with less making it to Glenshee than forecast. Hopefully we won't be back to square one after Sunday.

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted

Doesnt look pretty for Fife

http://expert-images...122306_2106.gif

Just southwest of fite here in the lowlands looks like we we're soaked most (away from the northeast) I believe that too! Not long stopped raining

EDIT: Ignore that it's started raining again

Edited by NUT

Posted
I suspect a degree or two cooler would have helped a lot

Temperature wasn't the problem, the precipitation was just making no real inroads to the Cairngorms, one might have expected a rain shadow over the Northern/ North Western downslopes of the Northern Cairngorms, but not for Glenshee and the Southern Cairngorms! help.gif

That said it doesn't take much lying loose snow or much fresh falling snow to see decent gains on CairnGorm Mountain in South Easterly gales, and there was still loose snow on the Plateau and there has been some fresh - the SW wind blasts it into the Northern Corries where the snowsports area is, you can see the difference in depth on the White Lady run from these images:

lady-2012.12.18.09.jpeg

lady-2012.12.21.09.jpeg

Edited by skifreak

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Worst weather I can remember here in terms of persistence. Sure, storms have been worse but they usually blow in and out fairly quickly. This just won't budge. Weird to see how many places in Scotland were relatively untouched by heavy rain and remained so for the past 42 hours or so while places like Fife have been drenched. Edinburgh for instance.