Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Horrid out there, I think my Snow obsession is starting to play with my mind, could of sworn I've seen the odd snowflake mixed in with the rain.

Posted

Another classic example of a driech Scottish day in winter. In the coming days there could be further heavy and prolonged rainfall through this weekend and Shetland could see another period of strong winds and wintry precipitation. The watch for a white christmas is becoming a tense affair - it seems very likely now that we'll develop a cold northwesterly flow on the big day - GFS 12z shows a nice, festive scenario but there's still 5 days worth of synoptic details to be delt with which will make for an exciting run-up to Christmas.

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

However, if we do get snow for Xmas, it could herald the start of another decent cold spell. Potentially we could have something along the lines of late December of 2000 or 2001.

A cold Boxing day - snow showers for exposed areas

h850t850eu.png

A frontal snow event at the end of the day

prectypeuktopo.png

h850t850eu.png

A wintry looking 27th December

h850t850eu.png

And another frontal snowfall for the 28th

prectypeuktopo.png

A reload for the 29th

h850t850eu.png

And a very happy hogmanay

h850t850eu.png

Breaking down for the 2nd January

h850t850eu.png

It's been a very decent December, much colder than 2011 and some snow events that have delivered very seasonal scenes around the country. Last December started off fairly decent before the hair dryer turned on for the winter solstice and the festive holidays - but this year it could be very different.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Oooph...Hammering down here at the moment! and so dark!

Morning EDO!......Uh oh........

On the SS scale, 29 with 9 years experience! Have a good day!

wow thank you......purposely never mentioned this and forgot about profile information lol

incredible deluge here today and I have been dealing with flood related issues all day so this is my first look in here and not been anywhere near the models....looking fwd to seeing a commentary on here of the days events and upgrades????

PS im off to Inverurie for my TV tomorrow...what will the roads be like??? hmmm wet per chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It's been a very decent December, much colder than 2011 and some snow events that have delivered very seasonal scenes around the country. Last December started off fairly decent before the hair dryer turned on for the winter solstice and the festive holidays - but this year it could be very different.

If the GFS 12Z comes off then we'd be looking at a Scottish mean temperature average for the month of below 2C, which is pretty impressive given how it's supposedly been a 'write off'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Oooh, Happy birthday Edod!

Dreich here - wet splattery rain, gusty lazy winds, dark dark dark all day.... me, I'm staying in here with my paracetamol and knitting and I'm No Comin Oot til there's SNAW!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Happy Birthday Edo! drinks.gif

What a miserable day! Horrible cold winds and non-stop rain - joy! Thanks for the above chart pics etc AWT - showing still so much more to come of this winter yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Party at Edo'sdrinks.gif

Everybody's invited.drunk.gif

Just bring yer ain snaw.

---------

Likin that mean.

t850Midlothian.png

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

If the GFS 12Z comes off then we'd be looking at a Scottish mean temperature average for the month of below 2C, which is pretty impressive given how it's supposedly been a 'write off'.

That is very obvious in the now brown grass fields with very little green showing in any of them and late sown crops of winter wheat still to emerge.

Also north facing ground at the edge of fields behind woods are still frozen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Absolutely LS.Amazing how ,over on the model thread,there's been constant gnashing of teeth and moaning about a "poor start to winter" or even " winters over".Yet I believe it's been a very respectable month with regards to winter weather.....and it looks as though there could be plenty to look forward to in the coming 11 days.

I'd take dec 12 over dec 11 anytime!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Absolutely LS.Amazing how ,over on the model thread,there's been constant gnashing of teeth and moaning about a "poor start to winter" or even " winters over".Yet I believe it's been a very respectable month with regards to winter weather.....and it looks as though there could be plenty to look forward to in the coming 11 days.

I'd take dec 12 over dec 11 anytime!!

It's not been bad at all, definitely below average temperature wise and for here at least around or above average (if we get a bit more in the last third) snowfall wise.

ECM isn't great to be honest, but a bit different from the others as it tilts the jet SW-NE. Still some colder uppers around up to the night of the 26th which would possibly give some snow but it flattens out a bit after that. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about that all that much, things will shift around a bit as they always do but taking the output as a whole you'd probably expect all of us to get at least one more decent (1cm+) snowfall before the end of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just about to get the burgers on up here. 4.5C Strong gusty SE wind and 35 mms rain so far today. Kids may even take a jacket to school tomorrow if it gets any worse.

Posted

Horrid out there, I think my Snow obsession is starting to play with my mind, could of sworn I've seen the odd snowflake mixed in with the rain.

Hmmm, I suspect you're not that bad yet.

Today I mostly decided that it should be snowing around 400m so that's were I was going to go. Drove up to 300m and only a hint of sleet, got gear on an set off up hill into driving rain, crossed small burn thinking I'd better not be too long or I won't get back. Abandonded plan A of heading up to 550m and summited at 450m where it was almost trying to snow but more of a slizzard than a blizzard! Tried to look at it but it stung my eyeballs too much. shok.gif

Headed back down, wet! Much better with a tail wind. Now on flood watch at home so really hope it turns to snow as BBC is hinting.

Posted

just 1 ally?? I have seen several drinks.gif

Posted

Was heavy wet sleet earlier when I came over soutra. Seems to be turning a tad more wintry.

post-9421-0-60927400-1356034515_thumb.jp

Posted

Happy Birthday Edo! drinks.gif

What a miserable day! Horrible cold winds and non-stop rain - joy! Thanks for the above chart pics etc AWT - showing still so much more to come of this winter yet!

it is horrific but loving weather I still cant help but be impressed by the shear persistence of the rain and the gusting wind with it.....powerful stuff....my outlaws had the oldest at panto this afternoon in Pitlochry and the a9 was shut whilst they were there so it was the back roads for them to come home and slightly longer peace for me :)

we are certainly getting weather this winter and its varied and interesting so quite happy.....just need big baws snaw to complete it at some point

Party at Edo'sdrinks.gif

Everybody's invited.drunk.gif

Just bring yer ain snaw.

---------

Cheers SS I would love to have a party with all the great fowks here but if i said to the wife im having a models party she might get the wrong impression :)

Posted

Just about to get the burgers on up here. 4.5C Strong gusty SE wind and 35 mms rain so far today. Kids may even take a jacket to school tomorrow if it gets any worse.

yer in Dundee so its a jay-kit :)

Posted

12122115_2012.gif

Tomorrow afternoon looks our best shot:

12122115_2012.gif

Posted

Shhh, don't be silly, the weather is mild and Atlantic driven for the forseeable future. Anything you see that is remotely cold or wintry or indeed not mild is clearly a figment of your imagination.

On a totally different story apparently someone was daft enough the other day to say people actually lived 'North of the Watford Gap' when we all know clearly "there be dragons".

The potential in the period beyond Christmas for northern parts (i.e. much of Scotland) is well worth watching just don't expect the southerners to share your enthusiasm!

Righteo I'm off to turn the steaks on the BBQ, although I have to admit to rolling down my sleeves when the tropical breeze picked up a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

SS liking the look of the traffic cam at Soutra.

Such a dark day, very wet and rather windy, glad i was indoors at my desk most of the day.

Edo just send the details of the party and i'll pop along:)

Have a great night.

Posted

On a totally different story apparently someone was daft enough the other day to say people actually lived 'North of the Watford Gap' when we all know clearly "there be dragons".

You mean there are people who live way up there at the ends of the earth, hundreds of miles from civilisation?

post-9421-0-78805800-1356036033_thumb.jp

Posted

4/1 available with William Hills for a white Xmas in Glasgow, surely worth a punt as unstable cold air cold be coming South particularly later on Xmas day.