Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

It was 14c on Christmas day last year! This year there is a marginal chance of snow so that's something for us all to be thankful for. The good thing is whatever happens down here the Ski centres are having a fantastic season!drinks.gif

The ski centres will be buried at this rate :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well lets hope that at least the ski centres get snow the next few days, even if it looks like most of us will be drenched instead.

I'd not quite say "the Ski centres are having a fantastic season!" from what I can see. Glenshee hasn't been open at all yet, and looks quite pathetic on todays webcam. Glencoe and Nevis have both had some skiing but limited. The more easterly centres seem to have done best with skiing at both Cairngorm and Lecht for nearly 2 weeks(?) now. Cairngorm appears to only really be skiable on the higher runs though and the Lecht webcam is showing a noticeable reduction in snow cover over the last few days.

For December it's not been a bad start to the season but I'm sure all of the centres would be more than glad of a huge dump of snow. If they get that then it might be enough to see them throught the inevitable thaw/top up cycle that can make skiing in Scotland so "interesting".

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

It has always been accepted that good snow cover over Europe increases our chances in the UK for favourable synoptics? If this were to materialise in the USA, would it have any impact here synoptic wise?

http://iceagenow.inf...-united-states

http://iceagenow.info/2012/12/winter-storm-warnings-15-states/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

It was 14c on Christmas day last year! This year there is a marginal chance of snow so that's something for us all to be thankful for. The good thing is whatever happens down here the Ski centres are having a fantastic season!drinks.gif

I was tempted to go out in my shorts and tshirt last christmas to walk dogs. Was THAT warm! (Much like last winter) :p but things still looking interesting at times for snowy episodes hopefully

I was tempted to go out in my shorts and tshirt last christmas to walk dogs. Was THAT warm! (Much like last winter) blum.gif but things still looking interesting at times for snowy episodes hopefully

Especially the further north-east you go in the country. I would be very surprised if there isn't a lot of snow somewhere in Scotland in the next week (which isn't up a mountain).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Tonight:

Cloudy with further rain and hill snow, becoming persistent and heavy, especially across the higher ground of Dumfries and Galloway and the Borders. Staying windy with strong southeasterly winds. Minimum temperature 3 °C.

Meto mentioning hill snow for me tonight, although I suspect it will require rather large hills going by the NAE. Maybe soutra...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Tonight:

Cloudy with further rain and hill snow, becoming persistent and heavy, especially across the higher ground of Dumfries and Galloway and the Borders. Staying windy with strong southeasterly winds. Minimum temperature 3 °C.

Meto mentioning hill snow for me tonight, although I suspect it will require rather large hills going by the NAE. Maybe soutra...

Upgrade potential for Thursday evening onwards though to become more widespread, patches of 0C 950s starting to show up albeit mainly in the Perthshire grid point which would introduce snowfall provided the other metrics are favourable (or if it were -0C it'd probably be snow even if dew points were above 0C). It'll have to be pretty big snaws to lie though on top of all that surface water

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, if it snaws at my hoose on christmas day, you can all come round for lunch.

Roast Guineafowl with all the trimmings (french do that or goose normally instead of turkey).

BYOB though mind; especially if e.g. HC turned up.

smiliz19.gif

Tonight:

The NAE looks to have some pink splodges for certain areas of the south, more up north. It will be an interesting few days :)

Upgrade potential for Thursday evening onwards though to become more widespread, patches of 0C 950s starting to show up albeit mainly in the Perthshire grid point which would introduce snowfall provided the other metrics are favourable (or if it were -0C it'd probably be snow even if dew points were above 0C). It'll have to be pretty big snaws to lie though on top of all that surface water

I'm not sure about anywhere else, but I was at my parents' over in Kilmacolm yesterday and their pond/lake is still frozen and the ground under the grass was solid, under about half an inch of mush. It wouldn't take long for heavy snow on top of that to start to stick so other areas may well still be the same?

Well, if it snaws at my hoose on christmas day, you can all come round for lunch.

Roast Guineafowl with all the trimmings (french do that or goose normally instead of turkey).

BYOB though mind; especially if e.g. HC turned up.

smiliz19.gif

You might live to regret saying that SS :rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

White Christmas decided by 'warring' in the air (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-20781276)

Says pretty much the same as has been said here, who's moonlighting? ph34r.png

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The Jet and the Atlantic really are a royal pain in the proverbials..

24 hour accumulation of the wet stuff from NMM here.

post-7292-0-56475800-1355919482_thumb.pn post-7292-0-92205700-1355919490_thumb.pn

Grim.

The Jet and the Atlantic really are a royal pain in the proverbials..

24 hour accumulation of the wet stuff from NMM here.

post-7292-0-56475800-1355919482_thumb.pn post-7292-0-92205700-1355919490_thumb.pn

Grim.

Even for the places which don't get the rain flooding could be an issue...all of that has nowhere to go except into the rivers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Think so Catch, flooding is going to be the story of the week for sure, rotten time of the year for this to happen some folk will be unprepared, feel sorry for people who may have their festive season curtailed by potential damage caused. Santa is going to need Jet Skis.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

It has always been accepted that good snow cover over Europe increases our chances in the UK for favourable synoptics? If this were to materialise in the USA, would it have any impact here synoptic wise?

http://iceagenow.inf...-united-states

http://iceagenow.inf...ings-15-states/

Typical Fkn Yanks huh.png

biggrin.png

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Sorry to be a painsad.png

But are the models still showing the promise they did yesterday for the weekend, I feel like I’ve missed a bit of the conversation blink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

But are the models still showing the promise they did yesterday for the weekend, I feel like I’ve missed a bit of the conversation blink.png

The GFS 18z was a slight downgrade on the 12z and the GFS 6z a further slight downgrade. GFS is falling in line with the other models.

A lot of rain to come with snow on the hills; above 500m according to the Met Office. The best chance for lowland snow is Saturday night/Sunday morning when the uppers are coldest. NE Scotland has the lowest uppers and best chance of low-level snow. Here's the ECM 00z for 0100 Sunday showing -5C uppers for Perth. I think you have a better chance than me being further inland. More likely to be rain/sleet than proper snow. Sadly, it doesn't look like a 3rd February 2001 repeat.

ECM0-96.GIF?19-12

Edited by snow1975

We're at the point of hoping rather than expecting, stranger things have happened but it's not looking pretty. SATSIGS on stand-by :rofl::good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

"Two" has now called "a green Christmas" - oh well!

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/

Posted

High ground in NE of Scotland will do well out of this battle of the cold, quite a lot of snow, everywhere else it's cold rain, I don't buy into these GFS charts showing snow for inland parts further south it ain't gonna happen!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hmm, NAE for this evening in Perthshire at least looks interesting:

12122000_1912.gif

12122006_1912.gif

The irony here is that because of the flow being southerly rather than easterly the risk of enough surface cold developing for snow this evening to higher ground has increased, because there's no coastal modification coming into play yet. Thursday will probably see the start of the coastal modification though but also the colder air will start to encroach and at some point it may just be cold enough for the rain to turn to snow.

Anyway, must get back to revising for my final exam on Friday (how anyone can be reasonably expected to complete an exam on the same day as the apocalypse I don't know).

Posted

Scotland's weather for Thursday, all day and all night cloudy with showers, heavy rain will be likely at times in the South and East also some heavy snow showers in the Highlands, it will stay dry in the North though. Gale force winds across the whole country again and they will be severe across the East and North. Temps on Thursday morning 1c to 4c and on Thursday night 1c to 5c.

A bad day for weather here gusts of 60mph and cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Thanks snow1975, kind of disappointing after last night, but you never know we might get a wee upgrade next couple of runs, come on Snowmageddon biggrin.png