Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted

Please use this thread to continue your regional weather chat and any topical meteorological conversation. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

People already placing sand bags around village here, Hope not going to be so bad this time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted

People already placing sand bags around village here, Hope not going to be so bad this time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I wouldn't be too sure, the daily amounts I'm sure will cause some grief by the weekend.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, if...and it's a big if, 12z GFS output verifies then parts of our region could have a white christmas!....A long way to go though, but the possibilities are there...and bedsides 'tis the season to be snowy, tra-la-la la-lah, la-la-la-lah....lol....A few charts to illustrate...

post-4149-0-72355200-1355851347_thumb.pn post-4149-0-53021900-1355851358_thumb.pn post-4149-0-32435000-1355851369_thumb.pn

post-4149-0-63258800-1355851410_thumb.pnpost-4149-0-09013300-1355851397_thumb.pnpost-4149-0-75068700-1355851430_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Well, if...and it's a big if, 12z GFS output verifies then parts of our region could have a white christmas!

certainly would be nice if the 12z gfs verified, but either way this years xmas day weather is far from certain and anyone touting mild with any kind of certainty is talking out their backside lol

The next few days of model watching will be very interesting indeed and I wonder if the ecm later will backup the latest gfs run, I can imagine what the mod thread would be like if it does!

Posted

My neighbours homes still not fully recovered after last flood.Insurance company arranged for them have replacement carpet laid, They only finally got it two weeks ago, Local Church just dried out and nicely decorated for Christmas, Just can only hope river not come visiting again

Posted

Well, if...and it's a big if, 12z GFS output verifies then parts of our region could have a white christmas!....A long way to go though, but the possibilities are there...and bedsides 'tis the season to be snowy, tra-la-la la-lah, la-la-la-lah....lol....A few charts to illustrate...

I certainly wont be holding my breath on that sequence of chartssmiliz64.gif

Some might get lucky, but I shan't be looking IMBY

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

From Ian:

W COUNTRY We have significant concern re cumulative impacts of rainfall from Weds AM to Thurs AM, especially for Cornwall, Devon, Somerset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Somerset not currently in Amber warning tho I guess thisd may get upgraded?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I wish I took a picture of the river I was working next to today. Water still must of been only inches from the top of its banks and you can still see large areas of water covering surrounding fields. Looks like the upcoming rain over the next few days will mean flooding for that area....

Posted

Somerset not currently in Amber warning tho I guess thisd may get upgraded?

Correct - impact-based matrix used for current warning criteria and concern for Somerset shouldn't be underestimated but we will await developments and amendments to warnings into tomorrow. Some worrying totals especially on the (uncertain) wave development tomorrow evening / night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All Weather

Thanks for the updates Ian, it sounds like a very fluid situation, rivers in the area are still only just below bursting point. It's ging to be a very interesting 48 hours with more expected over the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

certainly would be nice if the 12z gfs verified, but either way this years xmas day weather is far from certain and anyone touting mild with any kind of certainty is talking out their backside lol

The next few days of model watching will be very interesting indeed and I wonder if the ecm later will backup the latest gfs run, I can imagine what the mod thread would be like if it does!

Agree with the first bit, lets just hope Alex Deakin looks a fool soon! he just said wet and windy Xmas week, how the hell does he know that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Flood alerts issued for Weymouth rivers, I guess if the rain totals are as forecast then the other Dorset rivers will be included.

Posted

Flood alerts issued for Weymouth rivers, I guess if the rain totals are as forecast then the other Dorset rivers will be included.

The river cerne been cleaned out of all the debris over last few days,which will help a little,But river still very high and fast. Parts of the Frome still very high and some water still on fields, Be interested to hear the state of river Brit? Remember before flood defence work. Bridport got flooding, Around where Morrisons is now would get rather bad at times. Remember some flooding of River Wey, around Upwey area by the ford? Edited by cerneman

Posted

Still getting colder at 0.9c and it's quite frosty now, certainly wasn't expecting this.

What chance of the LOW attacking at a different angle * to engage the continental air a little more and bring wintriness?

* = I know it won't but what's wrong with a little fantasy lol !

Posted

The NAE shows most places in the South West receiving around 30mm of rainfall by Thursday morning, locally more in Cornwall & Devon;

post-12721-0-31832000-1355862855_thumb.j

Posted

Surprisingly cold here this evening, I thought it would of started to warm up by now.

Posted

These are the 12z GFS forecast minimum temperatures for 21.00;

post-12721-0-43531300-1355864039_thumb.j

Excluding local variances, not too far off the mark really.

Edited by AWD

Posted

2,3c at moment. Expect temps to rise as breeze picks up, Rain band getting into Cornwall far as Penzance at moment

Posted

These are the 12z GFS forecast minimum temperatures for 21.00;

post-12721-0-43531300-1355864039_thumb.j

Excluding local variances, not too far off the mark really.

No, you're right from that chart. The trouble with my location is the forecast temperatures are always based on Portland so are always several degrees higher than they actually are. Very annoying at times.

Just checked my forecast temperature on Netweather as 9 degrees, it's actually 3 outside. The met office used to be as bad but have improved lately.

Edited by microclimate