Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

1C downward adjustment, should I keep doing it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I have two weather stations.. One is on the roof (including the temp sensor) and the other is in the back yard... surrounded by houses, walls, bricks etc.

On nights like this with an inversion and clear skies, I usually adjust it downwards by 1C.. so right now the temp sensors are reading -1.6C and -1.7C.

Should I adjust them down 1C to compensate for the buildings and artificial heating or leave them the way they are?

Cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'd say leave them as they are. Unless you've got sensors outside your back garden, in a more open area, which consistently indicate your readings are 1c too high then any adjustment is little more than guesswork.

It's also likely that the difference in temperature between your back garden/roof and the general area outside will vary considerably from one day/night to the next irrespective of whether it's clear or cloudy.

Very few amateurs can manage a recording site compliant with Met' Office specifications but at least your recordings are consistent for your patch even if they are a bit higher than those of the nearest official station.

Posted

I'd say leave them as they are. Unless you've got sensors outside your back garden, in a more open area, which consistently indicate your readings are 1c too high then any adjustment is little more than guesswork.

It's also likely that the difference in temperature between your back garden/roof and the general area outside will vary considerably from one day/night to the next irrespective of whether it's clear or cloudy.

Very few amateurs can manage a recording site compliant with Met' Office specifications but at least your recordings are consistent for your patch even if they are a bit higher than those of the nearest official station.

Cheers TM, I was thinking something similar, although I've been informed that there is another poster in Runcorn over on another forum who reads consistently lower than I do in winter, but I think I'll re-adjust them so they're back to normal today.

Posted

The actual figures are somewhat irrelevant over time, it becomes more important to compare today, this month, this year with previous data.

So best to avoid any changes which upset the comparison.

If you felt an adjustment was needed before, keep doing it.

Or possibly stop doing it but revise earlier figures at least the record ones.

Posted

The actual figures are somewhat irrelevant over time, it becomes more important to compare today, this month, this year with previous data.

So best to avoid any changes which upset the comparison.

If you felt an adjustment was needed before, keep doing it.

Or possibly stop doing it but revise earlier figures at least the record ones.

Think I may as well just leave it the way it is. I've taken the 1C downward adjustment away and it correlates more with the car temperature. Here's a link to my station, pretty crap, but meh. :lol:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=Runcorn

Posted

I would look at calibrating your pressure reading if anything. It has been showing 1042-1052hPa so far today and a high of 1057hPa for the month, thats probably 25-30hPa too high.

Temperatures are a complete minefield. Ive had nights when it has been milder here than any other station in the area and likewise here has been the coldest. It should also be remembered that even the most accurate of stations have an error margin of 0.5-1.0C, so you could place another AWS right next to yours and the temperatures could still be out.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

I would look at calibrating your pressure reading if anything. It has been showing 1042-1052hPa so far today and a high of 1057hPa for the month, thats probably 25-30hPa too high.

Temperatures are a complete minefield. Ive had nights when it has been milder here than any other station in the area and likewise here has been the coldest. It should also be remembered that even the most accurate of stations have an error margin of 0.5-1.0C, so you could place another AWS right next to yours and the temperatures could still be out.

I've no idea how to calibrate the pressure, really isn't something I look at really, I just use the official stations for that.

I have two weather stations, each one of them always reads differently, it's annoying. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've no idea how to calibrate the pressure, really isn't something I look at really, I just use the official stations for that.

I have two weather stations, each one of them always reads differently, it's annoying. laugh.png

You should be able to get a good approximation from the GFS or UKMO charts, BT?