Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighPressure

Windows 8 upgrade 32/64bit Problems

Microsoft say upgrading to windows 8 is easy and even allow you to do it online for just £24.99.

Having just built a machine from scratch, I thought I would take advantage, by first installing my old copy of that nasty OS Vista which was only 32bit and upgrading to 64bit Win 8.

What I got was another 32bit OS and no option at all to choose 64bit?

After reading forums I now know that microsoft have forgotten to build in the bit rate switch in their download upgrade with the result that you cannot upgrade from 32bit to 64.

Anyone attempting to upgrade to 64bit from 32bit should do the following:

Order the backup disk which should come with both systems, but it is worth contacting MS to make sure?

The only other way of doing it apart from buying the retail version is too find a machine which is operating a 64bit OS, XP, VISTA or WIN7. You then go through the download process but instead of chossing 'install' choose create ISO image and burn to DVD. You can then install a clean copy of Win 8 64bit on your 32bit machine.

I hope that helps and stop people from doing what I did and ending up with a F1 car running like a Morris Minor :(

You can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Never have been able to and I doubt you will ever will be able too.

You can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Never have been able to and I doubt you will ever will be able too.

I can confirm that carrying out the download process on a 64bit machine and choosing create iso media and then burning to DVD will produce a 64bit version that can be installed on a machine which is currently running xp/vista/win7 32bit OS.

To check which version you have on DVD you should find the file ibwbinfo.txt and if it says BuildArch=amd64 you have the 64bit version if it says BuildArch=amd x 86 you have 32bit version.

Yes but it won't upgrade it just end up with a clean install. Rather annoying when you've got a lot of stuff. PCmover from laplink has had claims that it can do the move but I haven't tried it .

Yes but it won't upgrade it just end up with a clean install. Rather annoying when you've got a lot of stuff. PCmover from laplink has had claims that it can do the move but I haven't tried it .

This is true but as I am buildind a new machine - I am alright Jack good.gif

But yes clean install only.

And after the clean install comes the problems:

Native 64 bit applications are still rather rare meaning your nice 64 bit processor has to convert all those programs designed to run on 32 bit machines to run on your 64 bit on-the-fly. At best there is marginal (if any) performance gain to be had unless you have upgraded the clock speed of your processor considerably too.

Memory handling is far more complex with 64 bit although you have the advantage of addressing beyond the 32-bit capacity of 4GB (effectively around 3GB because 1GB is used by the O/S mapping itself onto the address space) without needing to resort to multi-word register addressing.

Legacy compatibility with old 32 bit device drivers where the manufacturer does not have a 64 bit driver.

Backward compatibility with 32 bit applications and potential for memory location contention causing lock ups and re-boots for seemingly no reason. (this has happened to me).

Be prepared for some faffing about while you iron out the bugs!

Good luck.

ffO.

My windows 7 laptop is 64bit and I had a number of programs one first installed on ME - no problems at all with any of them.

64bit is the future, for a start 32bit can't use more than 4GB of RAM

This is fine for general use, until you want to work on HD video or even large files from still cameras which can be well over 20MB

Amazing how many progs still aren't 64 bit. Office 2010 installs 32 bit by default as 64 bit is considered beta. Mozilla have stopped 64 bit Firefox for now. Not sure about chrome. Bit silly really. 64 bit should now be the default.

I intend to install virtual PC and a copy of 32bit XP pro I have as I expect win 8 to have issues. i would have installed win7 but I don't have a copy and Vista is a total pile of rubbish.

On the subject of 32 and 64-bit, I've noticed that in the 64-bit version of Windows 7, if I click "Open With" and "Browse" for opening any kind of file, Windows automatically takes me to the "C:\Program Files" (64-bit) folder, presumably on the premise that most users' programs will go into that folder, and I haven't been able to find a way of changing that away from the default.

However, a large majority of my programs contain 32-bit components and default to installing into the "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder for 32-bit programs. It is generally possible to change the default installation folder (as I often do for games) but I have serious doubts about installing 32-bit programs into a folder that Windows has designated for 64-bit programs (i.e. "C:\Program Files") so as it stands, I don't have many programs actually installed in the default "Open With/Browse" folder.

It seems that companies have been far slower to embrace 64-bit than Microsoft had expected.