Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 coldest minima watch

damianslaw

Posted

Thought I'd start a thread dedicated to predictions and readings for cold nightime minima this winter. There is usually a thread titled 'winter your minima predictions - but there hasn't been one this winter I note.

Already I believe we have seen temperatures down to -12 degrees possibly -13 degrees in the Highlands not too long ago - could someone post the coldest minima so far this winter for Scotland and England/Wales.

Had we a snow cover over the country right now, the next 2-3 nights could have easily produced the lowest minima of the winter so far, alas we are looking at lows between -5 and possibly -10 degrees in frost prone parts of northern Britain - a standard cold spell in many respects.

Anyway we are only in the second week of December and winter rarely proper gets going until after christmas, late jan-mid feb on average is the coldest core period of the winter when we expect to see our lowest minima of the season, look back at last winter for example.

Please use this thread to post your thoughts/musings on minima predictions this winter. I do hope this thread doesn't get lost amongst the more general winter thread posts...

Posted

I believe the lowest minima so far has been -10.6 at Loch Glascanoch on the 5th of December.

Thanks for this stat - I thought it had got lower than this, oh well, -10.6 degrees isn't a bad benchmark for this stage in the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

My minima so far: A 'mild' -1.6C

My prediction: -23C at either Altnaharra or Aviemore.

Posted

Well saying that Northern Ireland wasn't mentioned above I'll go ahead and put in a wee stay. Katesbridge dropped to -4.6 last night. Apparently the coldest place in the UK and it's set to drop even lower tonight. Katesbridge also dropped to -18 back in 2010 which is pretty epic for this part of the world! Not sure if that will be challenged this winter!! I would predict something in and around the -10 mark this winter.

Posted

I reckon we could get down to about -13/-14C in one of the usual Scottish sites, Tulloch Bridge looks to have a slight head start going into tonight.

The short days at this time of year give low temperatures every chance but as has already been mentioned a lack of snow cover is a killer.

Posted

Tonight could see the lowest minima of the season so far, -12 degrees or below could very easily occur somewhere in the Highlands. For England and Wales we might get down to -9 degrees.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

-8C in Scotland now.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I suspect it could become well used soon if the synoptics shown the the models today verify...

Will be nice to see this thread being used after 4 weeks of no activity.. thanks to the woeful lack of frost since the 14th December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I suspect it could become well used soon if the synoptics shown the the models today verify...

Will be nice to see this thread being used after 4 weeks of no activity.. thanks to the woeful lack of frost since the 14th December.

If any of the GFS operationals today come off then some records are likely to be under threat, certainly sub -20C possible with them. A long way to go yet though.

Posted

Will be interesting to see how low temperatures go tonight and tomorrow night. BBC suggest some spots may get down to -10 degrees, pity the Highlands are not covered thick with snow as the current low for the season of -12.1 degrees would be seriously under threat.

Would like to know what the current temps are and see reports of tonights and tomorrow night minima. Indeed it would be good if someone could provide such updates particularly if we do manage to see below -12.1 degrees.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

-5.2c here now.

DS, The Cairngorms are pretty good regarding snow cover http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/bluebird-day-in-sneachda.html

P1110558.JPGP1110519.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Cold night near here smashing through daily if not the monthly records http://coolwx.com/record/ -8 at Humberside airport at 1am and -10 at Marham Norfork http://weather.glads...rmation〈=en

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm

Posted

A low of -8c last night, coldest night of the winter so far..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

We were at -2.3C at 11:30pm last night but then we hit the dew point and the fog came, ruining any chance of a cold night. Especially annoying when places in Norfolk got very cold. RAF Marham got down to -13C.

Lowest minimum remains at -7C on December the 12th.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The current -8.5 is the coldest here, by quite a margin...

Posted

Last night was the coldest night so far this season in England, with Marham recording a very chilly -13 degrees thanks mainly to the snow cover. I don't think we will see quite such low temperatures tonight, but a few spots could easily get down to -10 degrees.

However, I suspect with the predicted very heavy falls of snow on Friday, under clear skies over the weekend intense radiation will take hold and some very cold minima will be recorded, I'm expecting temps easily below -13 degrees.

I'd like to keep this thread alive and would appreciate anyone providing an update on how low there temps are in the coming days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Last night was the coldest night so far this season in England, with Marham recording a very chilly -13 degrees thanks mainly to the snow cover. I don't think we will see quite such low temperatures tonight, but a few spots could easily get down to -10 degrees.

However, I suspect with the predicted very heavy falls of snow on Friday, under clear skies over the weekend intense radiation will take hold and some very cold minima will be recorded, I'm expecting temps easily below -13 degrees.

I'd like to keep this thread alive and would appreciate anyone providing an update on how low there temps are in the coming days.

I think this is a great thread so would love to see a little more activity :)

Currently -4C under clear skies.