40% chance of above normal temperatures, 20% chance of below normal

3up_20121201_t850_months24_europe_prob_public.png

40% chance of above average precipitation, 20% chance of below average

3up_20121201_prec_months24_europe_prob_public.png

Its not looking good for coldies at the moment ample time for change of course

How often are these correct. I personally don't believe them one bit

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
test8.gifis it just me or does anyone else notice in the past few runs that trough getting boxed in by high now run it on would it not end up like the gfs chart on the right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I believed they're based on the Glosea4 long range model which has done really quite well in recent years. A consistent signal since the last update too for HP to the south and LP to the north of us as a general pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Well, the title says "Hunt for cold" - I can't find any at all in the near future. Latest charts are abysmal for any cold/snow prospects. A strong Jet Stream, Westerly flow, and nothing building around us even for a glimmer of hope! Looking like a wet Christmas for most if the models are to be believed. I think there will be some twists & turns, but after Thursday / Friday... It's looking Atlantic Dominated.

You seem to have a lot of confidence in what you are saying, but why? The weather for later this week is still changing, so how can you know what Christmas has in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

gfsnh-12-114.png?12

As the transfer of energy takes place across the arctic- the only erratic longwave feature is the atlantic flow; the pfj tint is more SW-NE rather than W-E on this run and accordingly more energy is moved up into Britain and Central Europe on it's eastern frontier-

The notable heights over Novaya Zemlya can really make inroads if the more temporary progressive Azores ridge falters- the 12z suite is often progressive so the GEFS will provide a sharper guide as to where we stand-

Posted

One thing I have noticed is within 120 that high to the east just keeps increasing in strength and size

6Z

h500slp.png

12z

h500slp.png

Also worth noting that there was a large increase in this from the 00z to 6z as well.

Edited by Weathizard

Posted

I can't believe that there is a 40% chance of above average temperatures this month... Running as we are about 2c under until at least the 12th, that means the rest of the month would have to be very mild!

Posted

One thing I have noticed is within 120 that high to the east just keeps increasing in strength and size

6Z

h500slp.png

12z

h500slp.png

Also worth noting that there was a large increase in this from the 00z to 6z as well.

The thing is the size of the HP means nothing if it's stuck out east,not being able to back west. In fact it could become more of a hinderance than a help as it's just stalling LP over or just to the east of us.....we just sit in mild Atlantic air.

Posted

I can't believe that there is a 40% chance of above average temperatures this month... Running as we are about 2c under until at least the 12th, that means the rest of the month would have to be very mild!

They're for Jan/Feb/Mar, not this month

Posted

The thing is the size of the HP means nothing if it's stuck out east,not being able to back west. In fact it could become more of a hinderance than a help as it's just stalling LP over or just to the east of us.....we just sit in mild Atlantic air.

Spot on with that assessment. We will end up a bin for the LP's from the Atlantic to rain on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Jet stream taking a trip to Spain at 141hrs, will this help cause a ridge into Greenland?

Edit: C'mon Low move SE!

post-17320-0-41119300-1355156346_thumb.p

Edited by panayiotis

Posted

Well, at t144 the Azorian High starts rising

Yes, Azores is ridging, it's one possible way for things to tip in our favour for cold, but it's tricky. Need the LP to move now

Edit... Close by T156 to dropping through

Edited by snowmaiden

Posted

Well, at t144 the Azorian High starts rising

Yes this is really going to be the saviour if it can retrogress.

We need more amplification in the eastern USA but as I mentioned earlier today the Azores high often the winter enemy can help if we get that amplification upstream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

WOW, if this run was to verify, how much snow in Scandinavia plus strong winds. That would be a 36 hour plus snow fall.

Edited by snow drift

Posted

True, was just noting a trend anyway, seems to be increasing in strength and size every run now. I just hope we can avoid the worst of the rain from this system as I have relatives living in the south west and they are still recovering from the last water encroachment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

im mor incline to go with u.k met they call it mor rite than wrong.

Posted

Not enough amplification yet on the GFS with the next low upstream flattening the ridge. Given the timeframes a chance we could get more but also they could flatten things out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Interestingly the METO Glosea4 model has been updated today for the period Jan/Feb/Mar.....look away if you're a coldie....

2cat_20121201_mslp_months24_global_deter_public.png

Bartlettesque I would say

Well you know I did mention earlier today that the charts looked to be trending towards a Bartlett style set up , but hey what do I know...I'm just a weather enthusiast who keeps repeating myself and who knows nothing rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

gfsnh-12-156.png?12

Question. After 7 days of being under a 1055-1060 blocking high, how cold will it be at dawn in a Ural valley?

The major point of the 12z is the Azores-Greenland link-up will occur earlier as a result of progression-

from a more weather 'geek' rather than 'enthusiast' view, the strength and intensity of this block against an atlantic which is lacking of typical systems- is bloody enjoyable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I really don't want to keep watching to see if the Azores high links up with Greenland and then ponder the possibilities that brings up and talk about potential but....but ....but