Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

pottyprof

Posted

It's not a sad day for astronomy, this is not x factor. I am very grateful now as I have always been for Patricks leadership on television. When I think back how I learned and the excitement of I felt i am very grateful to all that opened that window. I trust and look forward as I know he did that we will continue to learn and by learning be liberated. Think positive. What a future we have. Be excited. Be as excited as Patrick was. he was so hopeful for science.

Posted

I wrote to Patrick Moore about whether he thought Pluto was actually a planet back in 2001. He typed backed to me on his trusty typewriter he had for decades saying he didn't think it was a planet but one of the Kuiper members.

Even in his late 70s, he was still replying to people's queries and letters.

What age are you?

I hope he gets a cremation so his ashes can be sent into space!

Yes, Captain Kirk and Spock would be very happy. The earth is as much par to of "space" or the universe as Milton Keyes. So I doubt that.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

After they made him they broke the mould - He was a star! - I always loved the Sky at Night - not only that he was quiet a good musician and cricket was his other love.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I was so shocked to hear of his death. Sleep peacefully, Sir Patrick, your enthusiasm for astronomy was an inspiration for many. Bless him. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

The guy was a legend and the Sky at Night is probably responsible for my unhealthy fascination with all things astronomical. That show has been a part of my life since I was a little kid (And I also used to love Gamesmaster ;)). Whilst I may have lost a little respect for him with a few of his comments in his later life, he ultimately managed to push science and astronomy into the public eye like no-one else and the world needs more of that sort of enthusiasm directed towards science and less towards the dross that pervades the current TV line-up!. Unfortunately, for every Patrick Moore or Brian Cox, there's 100's of vapid reality stars and that's a damn shame.

Posted

A time would come when Men should be able to stretch out their eyes, they should see the planets like our Earth.

-Christopher Wren, Inauguration Speech, Gresham College, 1657.

Perhaps we should place Sir Patrick's ashes within this other great man's legacy. If ever there was a person so deserving, I am sure Mr Wren would approve.

ffO.

Edited by full_frontal_occlusion

Posted

I had the privilege of knowing him for years and working with him on several books. Even though it's been patently obvious that his health was failing, it's still a shock.

He was an inspiration to everyone around him, unfailingly kind (except when anyone mentioned astrology!), generous and willing to share his knowledge without ever being patronising. A sad, sad loss.

Apparently, in his will he specified a private burial and this will be followed by a memorial on what would have been his 90th birthday in March.

Posted

Will the Sky at night continue? I think he only missed 1 or 2 episodes in about 50 years or so

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted

Oh, spode, as he would have said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01psbjf/Sir_Patrick_Moore_Astronomer_Broadcaster_and_Eccentric/

Thanks BBC for not bothering to publicise it.

Posted

I like James Delingpole's piece.

he knew too much about science – real science: in his case astronomy, which he had studied with the obsession of an autodidact, as opposed to the faux science of global warming which is the obsession of all modern TV scientists.
clapping.gif

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100193436/sir-patrick-moore-proud-patriot-would-never-have-got-a-job-in-the-modern-bbc/

Posted

I wonder what will happen to his house? It's practically a museum.

Sir Patrick Moore's dying wish to turn his home into a museum.

Plans are made to honour Sir Patrick Moore's dying wish by turning his home in Sussex into an astronomy centre

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9743532/Sir-Patrick-Moores-dying-wish-to-turn-his-home-into-a-museum..html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

The Sky at night can never be the same again.

they should end the program now and start a new program under a different title I think.

Edited by Village

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

I disagree Village,

I'd like to see this program continue out of deference to Patrick Moore - he spent his life trying to educate us into the ways of astromony and I am sure he would wish it to continue and such a continence would be a monument to him.

Posted

The next one may feature Patrick briefly; they'd already recorded January's according to Chris Lintott.

If they do continue with it, I'd certainly like it to contain the mix of amateur and professional astronomy of the last few years. A while back the emphasis was much more on professional astronomy.

As far as what will happen to the house is concerned, it seems, according to the Sunday Times, that Brian May bought the property from Patrick some time ago rather than see him have to sell it off to pay for his care and to allow him to live his time out there. Whether that makes turning it into an astronomy centre more likely is a future decision according to his website.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

It was an excellent, if painful, episode, concentrating on what Patrick did best - enthusing amateurs to go out and look! According to Chris Lintott's twitter feed, the rest of the team are back next month, at least.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just seen from the Radio Times that in February's episode Chris Lintott is at the old Royal Observatory in Greenwich talking about how the Sun affects the Earth, and the other members of the team will be looking at images procured using the telescopes.