Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

pottyprof

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very sad day indeed, R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore you will never be forgotten cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Aww, bless him.

What a full and fascinating working life he had though.

RIP Sir Patrick.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

RIP Sir P...Will never forget all those late-night progs, back in the '60s...cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Awful news.

He was an important part in inspiring the interest I have in astronomy. Still have this VHS back at my parents house from when I was a kid.

51C8ECZ29ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Posted

I shall always remember his enthusiasm. The programme to cover Halley's Comet was a fantastic example of that. Just like a young child with a Christmas present he was.

He was a fantastic musician too and loved to not take himself too seriously.

Edited by pottyprof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

How very sad, and a huge loss....I still have my very first astronomy book 'The Concise Atlas of the Universe' written by Sir Patrick way back in 1973 when I was just a small child, yet it was that book that sparked my thirst for astronomy, a thirst that is still there!. ..Thank you Sir Patrick for your huge inspiration, and rest assured, your legacy and influence will live on for many generations,

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

This is a great loss to Astronomy and Science in general. Now take your place amongst the real stars Patrick, your twinkling enthusiasim will burn forever.

Posted

RIP Sir P...Will never forget all those late-night progs, back in the '60s...cray.gif

More like the early 70's for me when I was 6+, being allowed to stay up to see TSAN. We'd no money and I'd be walking around with the soles of my shoes hanging off and have ice on the inside of our crumbling windows, but I'd save my meagre pocket money up for months and when I'd enough I'd walk into town to buy an astronomy book or even one of his works of fiction. Hard times,good memories. R.I.P.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

More like the early 70's for me when I was 6+, being allowed to stay up to see TSAN. We'd no money and I'd be walking around with the soles of my shoes hanging off and have ice on the inside of our crumbling windows, but I'd save my meagre pocket money up for months and when I'd enough I'd walk into town to buy an astronomy book or even one of his works of fiction. Hard times,good memories. R.I.P.

Aye, barrie. Staying for TSAN was a really special treat, for me...

Posted

Very sad indeed, have watched him on TSAN for over 20 years (and of course as Gamesmaster, anyone remember that?).

RIP Sir Patrick.

Posted

Posted

I'm hoping the Beeb continue the monthly programmes with Chris, Pete, and Paul not only as a legacy to what Patrick made but because so many amateur-astronomers rely on it so much for the 'whats up in the sky this month' segments. Patrick was looking a bit frail during this months filming but he took his choice to discharge himself from hospital and at least pass-away in the home he spent most of his life in.

A sad day for astronomy and science as a whole, it'll be a challenge for any production to find a presenter even close to imitating Patricks enthusiasm and passion to what he did.

Posted

Travellers In Space And Time was one of my favourite books when I was a kid. It gave me a sense of just how far away 10, 100 & 1000 light years are. I've still got a planisphere for 51.5 degrees north (London's latitude) which came with one of his starter packs.

It's hard to believe he's gone. When someone has been old since you can remember you tend to think they'll live forever; alas time catches up with all of us at some point.

R.I.P.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Very sad news. I just watched the latest Sky At Night the other day and sadly he looked very tired, an inspiration a fine gentleman. A man who never married after his fiancée was tragically killed during WW2 he was totally heartbroken.

I'll never forget when he explained the difference between Astronomy and Astrology saying that Astronomy was the study of space,planets stars, etc and Astrology "Utter bunkum, utter bunkum..!!!

I think his ashes should be the first to be buried on the moon as this was his first love that got him interested in the cosmos.

Edited by NL

Posted

I wrote to Patrick Moore about whether he thought Pluto was actually a planet back in 2001. He typed backed to me on his trusty typewriter he had for decades saying he didn't think it was a planet but one of the Kuiper members.

Even in his late 70s, he was still replying to people's queries and letters.

Posted

Sad news indeed - I'd hoped to see a celebration of the 90th birthday of the man who got me (and many thousands of others) interested in astronomy. I met Sir Patrick a couple of times and he was as charming as you could imagine. I still have my Observer's Book of Astronomy that inspired my interest from the age of about ten, and the Concise Atlas of the Universe that I pestered my dad to buy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sad news indeed - I'd hoped to see a celebration of the 90th birthday of the man who got me (and many thousands of others) interested in astronomy. I met Sir Patrick a couple of times and he was as charming as you could imagine. I still have my Observer's Book of Astronomy that inspired my interest from the age of about ten, and the Concise Atlas of the Universe that I pestered my dad to buy!

the Oberservers book of Astronomy, possibly the best pocket book ever printed! good.gif

Posted

the Oberservers book of Astronomy, possibly the best pocket book ever printed! good.gif

Along with the Observer's Book Of Weather! Still got my bruised and battered copies from when I were a lad....