Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Daniel Corbett fans?

Posted

Was anyone a fan of Daniel Corbett's quirky presentation style?

Here's the earliest Daniel Corbett forecast I have from 25th September 1998. He talks about hurricane Georges as a tropical troublemaker.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

I liked his enthusiasm, although I found his presenting style a little distracting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

He comes up with some very unusual cliches to describe weather patterns at times.

I like him though, I would put him behind Rob Mcelwee, Richard Angwin & Ian Fergusson.

Posted

My parents and sisters have the pleasure of viewing his unique style...on a regular basis.

For those that miss him, TVNZ is a good place to look.

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/superstorm-sandy-just-immense-metservice-video-5178312

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/gales-and-heavy-rain-set-hit-video-4751673

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Daniel is still doing weather, but now on the other side of the World:

http://kirsty.typepad.com/ttwfn/

Well that's something to be thankful for. He was my least favourite weather presenter ( on the BBC ) by a wide margin.

For 'quirky' read irritating and facile in my opinion.

The great Ian McCaskill was quirky but managed to deliver his forecasts without degenerating into ludicrous analogies.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It was the analogies that did it for me, so inventive that man.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Um, no. Terminal Moraine covers it well. I was thinking of visiting NZ...a little less keen now.

These things are very personal, though - for me Rob McElwee was THE man on many levels - intelligent,informative, literate, witty, and perfectly timed and presented (Corbett always seemed rushed) - but others (including, obviously, his bosses) disliked him.

Edited by osmposm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

He is definitely an acquired taste but I did love his quirkiness. The way he shuffles from one side of the map to the other endlessly throughout his stint made me laugh.