Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

Any Daniel Corbett fans?

Was anyone a fan of Daniel Corbett's quirky presentation style?

Here's the earliest Daniel Corbett forecast I have from 25th September 1998. He talks about hurricane Georges as a tropical troublemaker.

I liked his enthusiasm, although I found his presenting style a little distracting!

Is he the one who slightly exaggerates the word "Scotland"? Ie "Heavy rain edging its way into western Ssscchhotland"

He comes up with some very unusual cliches to describe weather patterns at times.

I like him though, I would put him behind Rob Mcelwee, Richard Angwin & Ian Fergusson.

Daniel is still doing weather, but now on the other side of the World:

http://kirsty.typepad.com/ttwfn/

Well that's something to be thankful for. He was my least favourite weather presenter ( on the BBC ) by a wide margin.

For 'quirky' read irritating and facile in my opinion.

The great Ian McCaskill was quirky but managed to deliver his forecasts without degenerating into ludicrous analogies.

It was the analogies that did it for me, so inventive that man.

Um, no. Terminal Moraine covers it well. I was thinking of visiting NZ...a little less keen now.

These things are very personal, though - for me Rob McElwee was THE man on many levels - intelligent,informative, literate, witty, and perfectly timed and presented (Corbett always seemed rushed) - but others (including, obviously, his bosses) disliked him.

He is definitely an acquired taste but I did love his quirkiness. The way he shuffles from one side of the map to the other endlessly throughout his stint made me laugh.