Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Barry95

The Curry Thread

Mmmmmm lime pickle....

Doesn't do it for me - have bought a few jars of various condiments in the past to accompany curries et al, rarely do they get finished.The other question I'd like to ask our curry aficionados - if using say chicken, is breast or thigh better? Many rate thigh for added flavour but then there's the juiciness of breast. Problem is should you overdo the latter, any meat can become dry and quite tough.

Breast every time!

Free range or standard?

They all probably come from Thailand anyway :doh: 

My fave from the takeaway is Chicken Bombay Flame made with naga chilli and I make a mean Vindaloo in the slow cooker. I'd eat curry everyday if my body allowed me to, sadly it doesn't!

• Like 5

Only used two scotch bonnets this time round and it was still phall-standard. Those things are deadly!

Never seen that one..and I've seen quite a few menus :) nice ring to it though.One place I use now and again give it the nickname..Mr.Naga chicken, where it clearly states.. hottest item on the menu! Not sure if someone has asked for a few extra chillies in it though? Place is a little bit more upmarket, with prices to match. Nearly nine quid a pop minus compulsory sundries, rice etc :)http://memsahibrestaurant.co.uk/Read the comments in the food menu lol..gullet burning and a few other regrets maybe!

Oooh that looks good, love the comments on it lol, id definately try that. Bombay Flame is gorgeous, it has potatoes in too which are Devine. It's hot...lip numbing hot. The prices are the same from our favorite. It works out about £35 a time for 2 but it's good food and worth every penny. Edited by Tilly

Just remembered they do cookery courses at our favourites' resturant. £200 for a 6 week course though... Ouch. I'd love to know some of their secrets though!

I find far too many restaurants add too few whole fresh spices and too many western supplementary ingredients to make the curries far too sweet, lack in true fragrance, and nowhere near as good and authentic as to how they would traditionally make them at home.

The Rick Stein India programme shown during the summer is inspirational in terms of the best insight into making real curries and not the pale imitations found over here far too often

• Like 2

I just spotted this feature on the Guardian site which I thought might be of some interest in here..............

The 10 best curry recipes

Vegetarian koftas, massaman lamb and creamy pistachio – try these variations on curry from across the world

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/02/10-best-curry-recipes-koftas-massaman-lamb

Bish

• Like 2

Nice one Bish..there's even a Rogan Josh shepherds pie! If that's not fusion cooking then what is Posted Image

Delayed the curry tonight (boo hiss..) and replaced it with a rich, beef, potato and veg one-pot stew. Ok just a few whole chillies to give it some bite..

The creamy pistachio recipe got me drooling, and I'm not even a big curry fan.....

Posted Image

Bish

• Like 1

There is an Indian takeaway that has just opened near me in Calgary..nothing unusual there you might think...however they dropped the menu through the door the other day..and it is something that i have never seen in Canada..its a UK style menu with very British Indian dishes..tikka masalas, rogan josh, byrani, joe fraziers the lot..hoping its a British Indian family that have moved to Calgary....shall give it a try at the weekend...fingers crossed!

• Like 1

First bit of junk-mail to catch your eye then! i bet the joe fraziers got a fair punch mind, careful you may get hooked Posted Image

Do let us know the results, genuinely intrigued.

Ok so i did visit the said takeway last Friday..now i order a chicken madras with rice and some poppadums...results as follows...i choose the madras as i guessed it would be a strong as a normal UK curry as Canadians dont like spicy food...and this proved to be correct..much milder than a UK madras..but apart from that was pretty close to the taste im used to...the rice was labeled basmati although it was actually just boiled rice when i opened it..which was ok as i did not order basmati rice. The only let down were the poppadums which were overcooked and tasted like cardboard so went straight into the bin..i would give it 6.5/10 for effort would have got a 7 had the poppadums been up to scratch.

• Like 2

I went to a curry joint the other night, on the strength of numerous internet reviews which couldn't rate the place highly enough, ten out of ten all round etc. It was crap,really crap. No atmosphere whatsoever and the nosh was little better than a microwave meal. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what it was, with the bare minimum of tweaking. Also wouldn't surprise me if the proprietor had placed the reviews himself. Not having learned my lesson, a few days later I sent for a take-out from another place which was rated highly on the 'net. The chef at this place gives lessons on curry-making to the public, and my vindaloo was staggeringly good. Will be going back for more soon.

.... including one case where I swear the lamb curry may as well have come out of a tin!

Thinking about it, I wonder how many places really do that - then just chuck a few extras in? The guy I mentioned earlier who does cookery lessons in-house, keeps a fabulously clean take-out which puts many a top restaraunt to shame. Going by the magnificence of his vindaloos I might just sign up.

Ha! Would love to be able to list 'U.S.Grade Pepper Spray' in my ingredients just 'cos it sounds good....

Once the missus has stopped messing around in the kitchen and I've got it to myself, I'm making an industrial-strength vinda from scratch. No nagas or bonnets in, just a pack of about 20 bird's eye chillis. Stuff this - I'm gonna throw the lot in.

• Like 1

Ha - didn't throw the packaging in too, but I counted 18 chillis. The deed is done and now it's 'resting', to be warmed up when I cook the missus' steak and chips later. She opted out of the curry; can't for the life of me imagine why -  she likes chicken....

EIGHTEEN bird's eye chillis in one meal? I usually do about 5-7 and that's hot enough!

Dare I ask how many scotch bonnets you usually throw in?

Edited by AderynCoch

EIGHTEEN bird's eye chillis in one meal? I usually do about 5-7 and that's hot enough!

Dare I ask how many scotch bonnets you usually throw in?

I've definately used 5 before (stopped there 'cos it's all I had)! But I think a point comes where adding more than a certain amount makes little or no difference. Those bird's eye ones I used the other day were really small but they punch higher than their size would suggest - though us curry nuts know small ones are mean! My favourite curry takeout does a dish called Lanka Mirch, it's truly incendiary (though I do ask 'em not to be shy with the chillis) and it's absolutely seething with what looks like bird's eye chillis chopped roughly into quarters. I'd guess there's more than 18 in it. Marvellous!

• Like 1

Looks a lot like phall to me with its distinct red colouration.

Or is it something else?

I've definately used 5 before (stopped there 'cos it's all I had)! But I think a point comes where adding more than a certain amount makes little or no difference. Those bird's eye ones I used the other day were really small but they punch higher than their size would suggest - though us curry nuts know small ones are mean! My favourite curry takeout does a dish called Lanka Mirch, it's truly incendiary (though I do ask 'em not to be shy with the chillis) and it's absolutely seething with what looks like bird's eye chillis chopped roughly into quarters. I'd guess there's more than 18 in it. Marvellous!

I guess this is probably the same as a curry from Sri Lanka as these curries are usually very hot, Mirch just means chillies in indian.

• Like 1

Did that by-pass the rude word filter?

Obviously!  Had a volcanic take-out vindaloo last night, and for the first time in ages I've had an 'adverse' reaction. My back - end must look like a Japanese flag.