Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Barry12

The Curry Thread

What is everyones favourite curry? what currys would you recommend, what is the hottest curry you've had? post anything curry related!

I'll start - my favourite curry is Chicken Tikka Masala.

well my favourite is sainsbury chicken makahini,however they stopped it:(

so now i go for butter chicken .

If i go out for one i have to have tikka as its low fat and i love the chargrilled taste with the peppers and musrooms and onions.

hungry now !

Favourite is chicken or lamb jalfrezhi, preferably slightly hotter than normal - I always ask for it to be spicy.

Hottest is one of the many phalls I've had, or possibly a very hot vindaloo I once had. The hottest dishes can vary quite a bit with their spice level.

well my favourite is sainsbury chicken makahini,however they stopped it:(

so now i go for butter chicken .

If i go out for one i have to have tikka as its low fat and i love the chargrilled taste with the peppers and musrooms and onions.

hungry now !

Not that keen on supermarket currys myself Posted Image

Lamb tikka with as much raw onion as I can get, but without any sauce.

Lamb tikka with as much raw onion as I can get, but without any sauce.

i might go for one of them!

i might go for one of them!

They're nae bad, Floaty. But if you don't specify, they'll likely give you massala...

can we make a pizza thread too? Posted Image

You can post anything in the lounge! :)

Not that keen on supermarket currys myself Posted Image

Patak's jars are quite good. Even better if you use it as a marinade, first!

Homemade Chicken Jalfrezi or Rogan Josh. Always use fresh ingredients but leave out the gee butter.

Madras or a Vindaloo always chicken Posted Image

Did have a Pathia a few weeks back and that was very nice!

Edited by carl79

Curries are my staple diet - have at least five a week ( homemade), and over the years I've gotten them easily up to restaurant standard. Made a cracking vinda last night and soon I'll be knocking together an industrial strength biryani for tonight. Can honestly,hand on heart say that there isn't a day goes by when I don't have chillis in some form or another, even adding them to dishes where they are totally 'inappropriate'. Ah stuff that - food would be an inedible blandfest without them. I'm growing me some Trinidad Scorpions this summer...

Curries are my staple diet - have at least five a week ( homemade), and over the years I've gotten them easily up to restaurant standard. Made a cracking vinda last night and soon I'll be knocking together an industrial strength biryani for tonight. Can honestly,hand on heart say that there isn't a day goes by when I don't have chillis in some form or another, even adding them to dishes where they are totally 'inappropriate'. Ah stuff that - food would be an inedible blandfest without them. I'm growing me some Trinidad Scorpions this summer...

Watch out for your GHG emissions, barrie?Posted Image

Watch out for your GHG emissions, barrie?Posted Image

Ha - I'm very 'green' on that front Pete - dunno why but I'm not affected at all in that way... just as well,really. Even the dreaded ringburn is but a distant memory. You could say I've become acclimatisedPosted Image !

Posted Image

Would make a good caption thread..

You're stirring...

I used to make a Chicken Tikka Passanda in my catering business using a recipe I have with fresh whole ground roasted spices, fresh almonds and coriander. Yum! Posted Image The meat was marinated up to 36 hrs before cooking and I never use as much cream and make them as sweet and sickly as the restaurants do.  They over westernise curries to appeal to the British palate but they would never eat them like that in their native countries.

I rarely get takeaways but still make this recipe occasionally f.e for a dinner party. Emphasis on depth of flavour and not heat - but then Passanda is a mild curry and I don't like making hot ones anyway in general. Less is more imo when it comes to using chillies. Using old spices is pointless in a curry and ruins how good they can be, they may as well be put in the bin than stored to go stale and lacking in flavour. The spices (including the chillies) simply have to be as fresh and fragrant as possiblePosted Image

Edited by Tamara Road

I love Thai Green (or Red) Curry. I find the flavours have a bit more dimension and freshness than Indian curries (with that said, I also like Indian curries very much!). Love using fresh herbs in curries, especially kaffir lime leaves. Coconut milk and fish sauce add that nice touch too. The Thai curries are nice to serve with the Japanese Soba or Udon noodles.

I like weak to (preferably) moderate heat in my curries though. I find hot curries detract from the flavour of the curry, you can only get in a few mouthfuls of deliciousness and then you are searching for milk / water and sweating bullets. Posted Image

Not sure why, have never been overly keen on the taste of lemongrass? usually found in Thai/other curries.Just don't quite hit the spot for me.

Or maybe they're just too healthy lol!

I have grown lemongrass in my conservatory - very very easy to growPosted Image  If you eat it as fresh as that straight from the plant then you will see a huge difference in taste and flavour between the tired stuff that arrives in the grocery stores and supermarkets.  It was delicious in stir fried food as well as fragrant curries and also perfect for adding to dips and making them extra special.  I used up all the whole plant eventually (it grew to quite a size and kept me supplied for a few years) But amazing value for costing just a couple of £ from an online supplier.

Tupperware comes in handy here tooPosted Image Ideal for crushing stems down and then freezing for future usePosted Image

This thread isn't good to look at when you're starving hungry. My stomach has just outbassed my sub.