Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lightning Shutter Trigger

Posted

With Xmas coming I was looking for things to stick on the wish list and this has caught my eye, as I never quite get the button pressed at the right time in daylight:

http://www.pmgadgets...&products_id=37

3in1.jpg

Has anyone used these or even something similar and how effective are they in day and night time photography? I can get one shipped free from e-bay at a reasonable cost for the actual item, but I'm loathed to get it if it just going to take up camera bag space and not work!

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I can't answer this, as I'd never heard of it, but I'd guess that if you have tried taking lots of lightning shots and have been disappointed, then if this will help, it's not a lot of money in the scheme if things?

It certainly reads like it's a useful device.

Posted

If it's as simple and effective as the blurb says, then its a useful addition. I just need to move to a place where they have thunderstorms :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

If it's as simple and effective as the blurb says, then its a useful addition. I just need to move to a place where they have thunderstorms laugh.png

Yes, I was going to point out that it would have been hopeless for me, personally, this year, although others obviously did much better!biggrin.png

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I don't know what ones they use in America, Robin - but I was under the impression that they were a lot more expensive than that. Best ask Ian M. He will probably have a good idea.

Posted

I use a lightning trigger when I go chasing in the USA, and it cant certainly help capture that "elusive" stirke. However good photographers on this borad will tell you they are not necessay. to be honest I find it useful for storm chasing, but never ever used it here in the UK.

Also of note it says day or night, I question that, as mine does say "f....g useless at night" on the pack (actually not true) but they do usually say not to use at night.

Warning, I found they are great for clean lightning, i.e. good clear strikes. When you have inter cloud it trggers like crazy and you end up with lots of wasted shots.

Overall, I wouldnt ditch mine that's for sure.

Posted

Overall, I wouldnt ditch mine that's for sure.

Cheers for that! I can set the camera up on long exposure at night and use the remote and normally capture something It's any daylight stuff I'd want to try and nab, but as I said at the top - we have to actually get a few storms next year!!! (sounds like this is going to cost me a fortune, as I will end up on one of the NW Tours!!! :lol: )