Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January 14th 1776 - what recent day would rank with it?

overcast

Posted

Reading the diary of Gilbert White, he describes January 14th as "Rugged, Siberian Weather. The narrow lanes are full of snow ... I was obliged to be much abroad this day and scarce ever saw its fellow".

For a man who lived thought the winter of 1739-40 that sounds like an an intense easterly spell. He lived in Hampshire about 20 miles from the coast in the village of Selborne and kept one of the best weather diaries of the 18th century. I'm sure the experts on here will be familiar with his work.

So my question is what would be the equivalent of Jan 14th 1776 in your life-time?

P.S. I haven't looked up the CET for that day or the month of Jan 1776 but I'm sure it was pretty chilly.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

There are a few members that were around during 1963, JH, Phil... and a few others im shure,

My choice is December 2009/10. It got as low as -18c here... And the narrow lanes were full of snow.

1775/76: Severe winter; Severe cold weather much of Europe 9th Jan to 2nd Feb: Thames frozen for some time; intensely stormy cyclonic February followed.

January: A widespread and often severe frost for a large part of the month. Also snow. (The 'Great Frost' from accounts by Gilbert White). The month overall almost as cold as the record cold January of 1963. A severe/prolonged cold spell. There were interludes of mild/melting, but snowfall was often considerable, with frequent drifting. Considerably low temperatures over the snow-cover during the second half of the month. Minima recorded at South Lambeth were reported as 11, 7, 6 and 6degF on the nights of 28th to the 31st. (in degC down to about -14degC.). At Selborne (NE Hampshire), the figures for the same nights were: 7, 6, 10 and 0 degF, the 0degF converts to -18degC. These low values were often accompanied by fog, and some reports suggest temperatures as low as -4 deg Fahrenheit at Chatham and -11deg Fahrenheit at Maidstone, both Kent. Obviously daytime temperatures were very low, with sub-zero values persistent.

By the CET series, this January is in the 'top-10' of cold such-named months in that dataset, which runs from 1659.

(A sudden thaw/milder weather evening 1st February.)

http://booty.org.uk/...e/1750_1799.htm

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

-1.6c was the CET, 87,91,86 and 2010 came closest, if you factor in individual days and short spells, although there have been lower months than the those 3 of course.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

26 consecutive days from 7th January to 1st February had sub-zero CET values. This near month-long period had a CET of about -3C. A notable freeze for sure.

The last five days of January were particularly cold - each one came in below -6C.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Probably one day in either 1947 or 1963 but I do not actually recall any one day in either those or any other severe winter month I've lived through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I wasn't around in 1947 but I can remember 1963 well enough. I can even remember the weather on several days in January 1963 but I can't put an exact date to the memories.

As for rivalling Jan' 1796, there must have been several here in February 1947 according to the accounts of elderly locals I've spoken to.

For severity of cold the spell in Jan' 1987 would take some beating here with a temperature between -8 and -10c accompanied by a 20-25 mph E wind.

For a combination of cold and snow then the blizzard of mid February 1979 is unrivalled in my memory, apart, perhaps, from one in February 1956.

Posted

It was the driest January on record by the way.

I think you're getting mixed up with January 1766 (4.4mm E&W). 1776 actually managed 51.6mm.

And TM has definitely made a typo by mentioning January 1796, which was exceptionally mild (7.3C). laugh.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

And TM has definitely made a typo by mentioning January 1796, which was exceptionally mild (7.3C). laugh.png

Oops yes, you're right. If there's any such thing as a Freudian meteorological slip that's it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

For me, Thursday 7th February 1991. The maximum that day here was -4.4C after a min of -8.0C (under fully overcast skies), with virtually continuous snow.

The 6th had seen a max at freezing point, and the snow began falling in the evening. It continued through the night, the following day (7th), and much of the following night, often heavily. By 7.30 pm on the 7th there was 6" fluffy and level (there was little wind); by 1.30 am on the 8th it was 10". Snow continued intermittently thereafter, and the temp didn't rise above freezing - and then barely - until the afternoon of the 10th (after an overnight min of -8.6C).

And that, for inner London, less than 50 ft ASL, ain't 'alf bad!

Edited by osmposm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The coldest English day, as measured by the mean temperature, in my lifetime (and of the 20th Century, from the Hadley CET stats) was 12th December 1981. To me there were more memorable days for snow, strong winds and cold etc., but that CET of -8.5C is notable.

http://www.metoffice...cetdl1772on.dat

And look at 20th January 1838, for the coldest recorded day in this record.

Edited by Steve C