Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I really hope Sandy will go across the atlantic and slam britain with winds upto 80-90mph and 100mph over high ground. It also may bring much colder weather behind it. It may happen next week. I maybe wrong though.

Sandy is quite a threat to us. This is why I kept a close eye on it. It would affect us around about next tuesday or wednesday.

I dont believe it is in any way a threat.

The system will move north over Canada and just fizzle out. (Possibly merge into a polar low, That once again will be miles from us) Models are suggesting that we wont see any of it.

We do however have our very own low pressure system that looks like it will cause us some fun over the next week though.

Edited by Lynxus
  • Like 1

I really hope Sandy will go across the atlantic and slam britain with winds upto 80-90mph and 100mph over high ground. It also may bring much colder weather behind it. It may happen next week. I maybe wrong though.

Sandy is quite a threat to us. This is why I kept a close eye on it. It would affect us around about next tuesday-wednesday.

I like extreme weather just as much as the next guy, but 90mph winds seems a little excessive, doesn't it? O_O. And I don't think that there is much chance of this hitting us, and if it did I very mch doubt 90mph sustained winds is possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

What news channel has the best coverage of this?

Been trying to find a live news stream on this for ages. USA websites seem very over cluttered.

Posted

Sandy is quite a threat to us. This is why I kept a close eye on it. It would affect us around about next tuesday or wednesday.

Sandy will not go across the Atlantic unless something incredible happens. It is predicted to move inland and N/NW over North America before becoming incorporated into other systems in the far north (I think). It is not modelled to cross the Atlantic on any output I have seen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I really hope Sandy will go across the Atlantic and slam Britain with winds up-to 80-90mph and 100mph over high ground. It also may bring much colder weather behind it. It may happen next week. I maybe wrong though.

Sandy is quite a threat to us. This is why I kept a close eye on it. It would affect us around about next Tuesday or Wednesday.

The current track of Sandy is to move into Canada by the end of the week

Posted Image

• Like 2

Sandy is no threat to the UK at all, every global forecast model shows Sandy to move inland to America within less than 48 hours the reliable time frame. They've been showing this for the past few days now. Even if by some chance it did the Hurricane still has a large high pressure system in it's way to get through in the Atlantic and would end up tracking South and fizzling out there.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

i believe that Sandy has the highest surge forecast of any east coast storm ?

anyway paths etc below.

Everything is in place now, latest gfs suggest CAT 2 925mb winds for long island et al, considering the pressure is only 935 this will readily be sustained winds at surface.

Areas on the Moorhead radar show that storm totals of 10inches+ have already been recorded.

post-6326-0-04184000-1351448295_thumb.jp

post-6326-0-96553600-1351448355_thumb.pn

Edited by Iceberg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

i believe that Sandy has the highest surge forecast of any east coast storm ?

anyway paths etc below.

Everything is in place now, latest gfs suggest CAT 2 925mb winds for long island et al, considering the pressure is only 935 this will readily be sustained winds at surface.

Areas on the Moorhead radar show that storm totals of 10inches+ have already been recorded.

Seems thah for Hurricane Sandy the east coast is the one that she wants...dont mean to make a joke of it and hope all take heed of the warnings and leave as approopriate. Although the last east coast storm irene disapated to a TS and wasnt as strong as feared. However can someone tell me what is this talk about a "frankenstorm"....I take it this is because it is mixing with artic air...I cant get my head around that..

Will it really track to the north east from its current north trajectory? Didnt irene change track within the last day?

Posted

ECM 12z is looking scary, more than normal with 850's of 120kts now, HWRF 12z follows the GFS with a hit just south of nyc at 935ishmb.

Winds prior to landfall are only 1mph off a cat 2.

Although the last east coast storm irene disapated to a TS and wasnt as strong as feared. However can someone tell me what is this talk about a "frankenstorm"....I take it this is because it is mixing with artic air...I cant get my head around that..

When the Tropical air meets the Arctic air, the fusing of the two systems will release a lot of energy, and then the jet stream is right in the middle of it to give it an extra boost. That's what the news said earlier anyways, and pelase someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

That's a good link, Thank you kindly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

However can someone tell me what is this talk about a "frankenstorm"....I take it this is because it is mixing with artic air...I cant get my head around that..

Will it really track to the north east from its current north trajectory? Didnt irene change track within the last day?

PB, as others have confirmed and you have suggested, the mixing of the two airmasses, aided by an active Cold Front make for the recipe of a Superstorm. Over time, I get tired of these Americanisms Posted Image nevertheless, this has the makings to be a very dangerous storm, given that it could affect NYC area etc. If my memory serves me right, Winter storm systems of the type that the USA endures have produced some of the most powerful storms in history. Posted Image Snow, Rain, Hurricane Force winds and Tornados are all in the mix as I understand it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/

A very good link indeed 'Moor Driver'..

I have a bother in law in NY, he and his wife and already stocked up for the 'outages' as they call 'em - serious stuff for some over there.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

PB, as others have confirmed and you have suggested, the mixing of the two airmasses, aided by an active Cold Front make for the recipe of a Superstorm. Over time, I get tired of these Americanisms Posted Image nevertheless, this has the makings to be a very dangerous storm, given that it could affect NYC area etc. If my memory serves me right, Winter storm systems of the type that the USA endures have produced some of the most powerful storms in history. Posted Image Snow, Rain, Hurricane Force winds and Tornados are all in the mix as I understand it.

Thanks GTLTW ....feel a little clearer now ..and like you I am so tired of the americanisms. It is a nasty storm, no bolt in its neck - next there will be references to Greece Lightning...Posted ImagePosted Image whens the next recon? Just had one at 6pm (2pm EDT)..is it 9pm?

Posted

Seems thah for Hurricane Sandy the east coast is the one that she wants...dont mean to make a joke of it and hope all take heed of the warnings and leave as approopriate. Although the last east coast storm irene disapated to a TS and wasnt as strong as feared. However can someone tell me what is this talk about a "frankenstorm"....I take it this is because it is mixing with artic air...I cant get my head around that..

NASA's TRMM satellite revealed Hurricane Sandy's heavy rainfall and the storm is expected to couple with a powerful cold front and Arctic air to bring that heavy rainfall to the Mid-Atlantic and northeastern U.S. Some forecasters are calling this combination of weather factors "Frankenstorm" because of the close proximity to Halloween. However, because Sandy is a woman's name, the storm could be considered a "bride of Frankenstorm."

The link is worth a look concerning Sandy anyway.

http://www1.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hurricanes/archives/2012/h2012_Sandy.html

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks GTLTW ....feel a little clearer now ..and like you I am so tired of the americanisms. It is a nasty storm, no bolt in its neck - next there will be references to Greece Lightning...Posted ImagePosted Image whens the next recon? Just had one at 6pm (2pm EDT)..is it 9pm?

Yes, according to the following link it is. Posted Image