Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I think it's that the size of the tropical storm force wind field, and the total energy in the system makes it the strongest tropical Atlantic system on record. I think I've seen 222 tera joules mentioned for Sandy, compared to Katrina at 117 tera joules.

Will try find the source...

EDIT: 222 tera joules, not over 300...

It is the largest hurricane in terms if diameter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The image is a bit old, but here

Posted Image

The IKE is just under the chart

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/ike/

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

With regards to continuing deepening of Sandy this evening, the hurricane is caught between two jet streaks atm. And interestingly it's in both the right entrance of an intense jet running north across the Great Lakes and Hudson Bay on the forward side of the upper trough across the east and also Sandy falls in the left exit of a sub-tropical jet streak.

post-1052-0-41232600-1351529791_thumb.pn

For those unfamiliar, the right entrance and left exit regions of jet streaks are very developmental areas for a low pressure to move under, because upper air is diverging while air at the surface is converging to fill the void above and hence aids deepening of lows moving in these areas.

• Like 5

Posted

From Tri-State Weather:

Breaking Weather News: Aircraft reconnaissance aircraft currently flying into Hurricane Sandy is reporting rapid pressure drops which means rapid intensification is occurring. They are indicating 99mph sustained winds at the surface of the storm, which would make this a strong Category 2 hurricane. The storm would need sustained wind speeds of just 110mph to be a Category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

• Like 1

Posted

With regards to continuing deepening of Sandy this evening, the hurricane is caught between two jet streaks atm. And interestingly it's in both the right entrance of an intense jet running north across the Great Lakes and Hudson Bay on the forward side of the upper trough across the east and also Sandy falls in the left exit of a sub-tropical jet streak.

post-1052-0-41232600-1351529791_thumb.pn

For those unfamiliar, the right entrance and left exit regions of jet streaks are very developmental areas for a low pressure to move under, because upper air is diverging while air at the surface is converging to fill the void above and hence aids deepening of lows moving in these areas. Of course the warm waters of the Gulf Stream, The warm core and its interaction with colder air being dragged down from the north are all playing a part too.

• Like 3

Posted

strongest storm for this location...should be added.

Latest visual shows the very good centre that kold mentioned. It's losing 1c of sst now for roughly each hr and is probably on ssts of 23c so baroclonic forces will be at play in the next 2-4 hrs imho.

Storm surge has been officially increased to 12-15ft for parts of NYC and surrounds now..

cdo is about the size of new jersey now.

Lovely sat picture.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I mentioned this earlier and I see Nick F has now also referred to similar terms, however can anybody give me an idea as to my previous question as below. Posted Image

I've seen others refer to whether the storm is tropical or warm-cored, cold-cored etc. by the time it makes landfall. Can somebody enlighten me as to what impact this would have on its ferocity and why it is regarded as noteworthy?

Sorry if this has been posted

http://www.nnvl.noaa...3&MediaTypeID=1

Nice one, I cannot like it as I've ran out of likes. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Another photo set here.

post-7292-0-73354900-1351530570_thumb.jp

BFTV - updated image from your link @ 323TJ.

post-7292-0-94239200-1351530605_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

not far off a category 3 hurricane hitting the North East US - have to say, the global climate is becoming more extreme it would seem. Didn't think i'd see that so soon after Irene! Eyes will be on the News tonight, seeing if Manhattan (amongst other places) can hold out against the surge expected this evening!

Posted

One of our local amateur weather men has just reported on Facebook that Sandy is now heading back out to sea. I find this implausible or is he correct? He posted this wee bit of information in the last few minutes.

M...

Posted

A MODIS subset image here of the NE US coast, with Sandy at the bottom. The full image should update in the next hour or so when the next pass has been made.

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=USA4.2012303.terra.1km

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

One of our local amateur weather men has just reported on Facebook that Sandy is now heading back out to sea. I find this implausible or is he correct? He posted this wee bit of information in the last few minutes.

M...

What drug is he on? Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

M...

Yes I think he is a bit crazy.

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

M...

I wonder if he's watching the sattellite and misinterpreting the movement that way - either way he'll be glad he's an amateur if (when) he's wrong!

:) Sam

what info did he post Maitland? Any chance you can paste it in here -

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Be interesting to see what happens in some of the enclosed bays where the benthic topography is more suited to increased wave amplification - It wouldn't surprise me to see somewhere like the Cape May Peninsula or somewhere on the northern edge of Long Island Sound recording wave heights of 25 feet + at the next high tide - that's pretty sobering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Different photo shop things appearing on Twitter....Jury still out on this one.. !

post-7292-0-28650600-1351531953_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

I wonder if he's watching the sattellite and misinterpreting the movement that way - either way he'll be glad he's an amateur if (when) he's wrong!

Posted Image Sam

what info did he post Maitland? Any chance you can paste it in here -

This was what he posted about 45 minutes ago.

"HURRICANE SANDY -

Windy says latest just in from the US . . . . . . And take a look at the fukers path, he's heading back out to sea . . . . . . . watch this space for regular updates !!

That is all !!"

I blocked him months ago as some of his postings leave me shaking my head. He is known as Windy Wilson and has thousands of followers on Facebook.