Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's considering Chasing USA DIY in 2013?

Tony Gilbert

Posted

Intro; My name is Tony Gilbert . I live on the south coast in Gosport, Hampshire. Many of you may know me through my regular convective outlooks on the UKWW forum. I'm a member of the TORRO team and have worked two seasons as a professional driver/guide for the 'Silver Lining Tours' in the USA. I also have eleven consecutive years of experience chasing in the USA 'DIY'.

About me!

Hi All,

just wondering who here is considering chasing USA DIY in 2013?

A thread is started over on the UKWW forum to see who's taking the plunge. The reasoning here is that you may wish to either meet up at some point with our chase vacation or even arrange it directly with us! Probably worth mentioning that unless you are either confident with travelling abroad or have basic knowledge around big storms then the Netweather Tour might suit you better. This post is more orientated around members who want to make up a small team or number of teams for chasing state side devoid of any guidance. This would be a voluntary social arrangement and not a paid professional tour.

The cheapest flight will often be available between Dec and Jan, hence the reasoning behind this early heads up! You might expect to pay around £500.00 return for your flight and maybe another £2,000. for car rental shared, hotel rooms shared, fuel shared and food. But this can vary quite a bit each year! Storm chasing on the great plains is by no means a cheap holiday and can include a lot of driving with some fatigue. Though if the two weeks are fruitful you might expect to witness, photo and video some of the best storms on the planet!

Anyway please feel free to post your questions or interest here! Posted Image

Tony

Edited by Tony Gilbert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I remember as a young lad at the age of 15/16 looking at Silverlining tours photos and chase site. I will consider it Tony.

Posted

Hi Chris,

Yes working with SLT provided me with some great experiences and a wealth of knowledge. Though you never really stop learning where storm chasing is concerned!

I now prefer to chase with friends or other likeminded individuals. A chase vacation in the USA is also a social event where you can share the adventure with others. Hence the reasoning behind this thread.

We are hoping to meet up for pub lunch at some point before xmas. Though I notice this could be a problem for yourself, re distance!