Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Absolute Brilliant Forum

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I see this is a place where one can leave a little feedback.

I have been a member of Netweather for just shy of two years now and I thought I would just let you all know ( the admin team that is ) what a brilliant forum you are running.

From the day I joined I immediately felt welcome and part of the forum.; The vast knowledge from some of the members in here is incredible, and I don't think I will ever stop learning about various forecasting tools and skills needed to even try and forecast the Great British weather.

When I joined, I knew very little about the weather, probably limited to "its cold", "its raining" or its a bit muggy today. Now, thanks to NW, I can read model output charts, understand the sypnotics and tools needed to produce a forecast, and most importantly, appreciate the weather in all its glory.

The forum is very well run, with a wonderful, friendly group of members always willing to share what knowledge they know onto the less knowledgeable, always willing to help out and answer questions. I am a member of other, non weather related forums too, and I can honestly say some should take a leaf out of NW's book, as this is by far the best forum I am a member off.

Keep up the good work admin/mod's, it's a priveledge to be part of such a great forum.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Now that's a good way to earn 'brownie points' - why didn't I think of that :)

Posted

I'm sure Paul and the team will be very chuffed at your post and that a number of others share your feelings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Thoroughly agree with AWD's comments. I've been using this forum, as well as the various links on here to the model outputs, rainfall radar, etc, for 1.5 years or so i think now. It started when I wanted to learn more about thunderstorms and how they are forecast. Now its for all types of weather. Dont think a day passes at the moment where I dont check the site. Especially as winter approaches! ;) Im generally a lurker, but put my thoughts/observations forward and ask questions when I can.

I find the guides posted on here extremely useful and as I would love to begin a career in some form of meteorology work, it really has helped me gain basic understanding...and more. I'm in the planning phase of enrolling on a BSc Natural Sciences degree with the Open University, with topics such as climate change and extreme weather. This will be alongside my full time job in the civil service, so a busy time to come, I think.

Hopefully it'll be worthwhile though. I previously contacted the MetOffice about their trainee forecasting courses. It'll be a few years ahead yet, but if there are still posts there and if I complete my degree, they recommended me to apply. Bit far off but nice to have a goal... Of course there could be other options to be investigated as well when the time comes.

Cheers and keep up the good work as already said by others. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Totally agree with this first post, no doubt about it, this is by far the best forum, of course people will have disagreements with each other and withe the moderating team at times, and no doubt when there is a knife edge situation like last late jan / feb, it will get heated, however, what i love about this is that it is not just the forecast team on here that are experts, but what i like is that there are so many people who love snow and cold and have got tremendous knowledge of teleconnections, surely Steve Murr, Chionomaniac, Lorenzo and many others must have spent thousands and thousands of hours building their knowledge up over many years but not for a career, for a hobby, and certainly in the case of most becasue they love snow.

Posted

I know the winter thread allows cold lovers to ramp ramp fiction and pray for rare snow events,but it does encourage people to post who have never posted before,yes its childlike at times and does annoy some, but it does get people involved in active weather watching which is good to watch and good for Netweather future.