Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

December 1996

Weather-history

Posted

A cold December with a CET of 2.9C, it had its wintry moments although it wasn't as snowy nor as cold as the December of the previous year

It started to brisky and cool

2nd December: A threat of wintry weather for northern hills

3rd December: a pretty wet day for parts of southern Scotland and Northern Ireland with snow on hills

Posted

Remember December 1996 being often cold and very foggy with many frosty nights and little in the way of rain. The atlantic was quite weak throughout, with lots of 'northern blocking', however, it took until christmas before proper cold conditions set in. The last week of the month was very wintry with much snow and bitter easterly winds, a very wintry christmas week. Coming on the back of december 1995 however, it all felt quite 'normal' december service. Winter 96/97 had potential to be a notably cold one, however, a major change in synoptics took place in mid Jan, meaning it ended up being a winter of two halves.

• Like 1

Posted

Really enjoying watching the footage from December 1996. Up until now my memory was that the cold only set in on christmas eve, however, it was the 19th/20th when the swtich came in. The cold spell then lasted through until mid January and it was a proper decent cold spell, often forgotten because it didn't deliver record cold temps like we saw in late Dec 95, or heavy snowfalls like we saw in Dec 09, Jan 10, Nov/Dec 10, but it is up there with mid Dec 09 - mid Jan 10 and late Nov -late Dec 10 as being one of the lengthiest cold spells of the last 20 years. Temperatures in NE Europe and West Russia were notably severe. However, unlike the two afforementioned spells, the cold came courtesy of scandi blocking as opposed to Greenland blocking, but because of this is our last lengthy 'easterly spell'. I much prefer a greenland blocking spell though - when they occur they tend to be very persistant and reoccuring, scandi highs can easily erode as was the case in Jan 97 and if we go back further Jan 87, they only survive for lengthy periods when anchored by higher heights to the NW as we saw during the winters of 84/85 and most evidently in Feb 86.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Thank you for this !! I was only 10 at the time but vividly remember New Years eve being very snowy for us .

Edited by Letitsnowyorkshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I had a lot of snow on 30-31st Dec, and my only white new year, light snow all day on Wed 1st Jan 97

Posted

Up until 2010, 1996 was our last 'cold year' with a number of cold months in Feb, March, May, November and December. It was a very dry year with a very weak atlantic. All changed during 1997, after a dry cold beginning, we saw mild weather set in during Feb lasting through to May, then a change of very wet weather for the rest of the year and often very mild at times excepting June.

I've enjoyed watching footage from 1993-1996 period... however, the next few years in my opinion brought endless mild dross with only shortlived interesting non-atlantic dominated spells.. things changed a little late 2000 - and throughout 2001, but then back to similiar type until summer 2005.

• Like 1

Posted

Up until 2010, 1996 was our last 'cold year' with a number of cold months in Feb, March, May, November and December. It was a very dry year with a very weak atlantic. All changed during 1997, after a dry cold beginning, we saw mild weather set in during Feb lasting through to May, then a change of very wet weather for the rest of the year and often very mild at times excepting June.

I've enjoyed watching footage from 1993-1996 period... however, the next few years in my opinion brought endless mild dross with only shortlived interesting non-atlantic dominated spells.. things changed a little late 2000 - and throughout 2001, but then back to similiar type until summer 2005.

Months below the 1961-90 average from January 1997 to December 1999

Jun 1999: 13.9 (-0.2)

Nov 1998: 6.2 (-0.3)

Jul 1998: 15.5 (-0.6)

Apr 1998: 7.7 (-0.3)

Oct 1997: 10.2 (-0.4)

Jan 1997: 2.5 (-1.3)

Not many cold months there!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

29th December 1996

That is a rare sight on the 29/12/96 forecast chart. 3 cold fronts in 1 easterly flow on the same day.

Edited by Craig Evans