Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PerfectStorm

What Do You Do For A Living?

I'm thinking about going to university and I can tell you that it's a very hard to decide what career I want. So what did you want to do? And what are you doing at the moment?

I'm thinking about going to university and I can tell you that it's a very hard to decide what career I want. So what did you want to do? And what are you doing at the moment?

If my advice is anything to go on I would say to you, don't go to uni until you are certain what career, or what field of work, you want to do when you leave. I never had a clear choice, and ended up going to university because it just seemed like the natural thing to do, but ended up abandoning it because i felt i was wasting my time. Then i returned with the same mind set, and quit again!

Right now i sell advertising space to businesses ( magazines, radio etc ). It is freelance, i make my own hours, i earn what i sell. It is probably the best job i have had, of many. Lacks a bit of creativity at times though, and sometimes i have to force myself to be more social than i may want to be .

I wanted to be a meteorologist or a journalist..but i think these were just childhood imaginations taken to adulthood without a solid enough interest.

My dream job would be a beachcomber on a tropical island, or a gold or roman treasure prospector. Then head to the pub at the end of each day with friends and a fellow worker or two, discussing the days finds and tomorrows opportunities.

I work on the railways. Won't say any more yet as my position will hopefully be changing in a couple of weeks time.

I did my A-levels, well one year of them as I then decided I wanted a job, and got my first job as a civil servant. If your not sure of your career path, don't go to Uni just yet as the subjects you take may affect you in the future and you may of hoped to have done something else. Be sure of what you want to do first..

When I was at school, my ambition was to get a degree. And then run my own pub.

But half way through my A Levels it suddenly occurred to me that I could be earning a living instead of earning nothing. So I got a job instead. Twelve years at one of the world's largest insurance brokers followed.

And then I ran my own pub :D

These days I'm semi-retired and just run an antique centre. Most of the time it's a lot less stressful!

Just waiting for official retirement in December....Medically retired...now...

I wanted to be a professional footballer..i got pretty close..having had trials for Arsenal, Watford and Ipswich Town..but never made it due to injury, illness and possibly not being quite good enoughsorry.gif..anyway i ended up in construction and am now a Project Director for the 2nd biggest construction company in Canada.

I wanted to be a nurse in the army. passed all the tests but ended up working in an office parents did not want me to go into the army. Got married had 3 children am now a health and safety consultant own my own business and earn pretty much what i want. And do the hours i want too. Did not need uni to get along in my life but times have changed. Take a degree that will open doors for you my kids have law maths and nutrition degrees which open up quite a few doors. Hope that helps.

I went to Uni twice both times studying geology. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left the first time in 1993, knew I wanted to be a geologist but didn't know exactly what type of geologist I wanted to be. Got hooked on hydrogeology so went back to do a Masters in Hydrogeology in 1997 and haven't looked back since. It's only going to get more important too on a global scale as water supplies come under more pressure from climate change and population growth.

I would say that if you do it right Uni will open more doors than not going to uni, but you have to know what you want to do with your degree. whatever you do do not do one of the mickey mouse degrees with the intention of jumping on one of the corporate management courses, those days have gone. Thankfully, now you need to do a degree that serves a purpose afterwards,e.g medicine, economics, engineering, etc.....

I will be telling my kids only to go to uni if that's what they want to do, if they want to work straight from school that's fine. However, the years at uni, particularly the 12 months at UEA on the masters were some of the best years of my life so far.

M

At the moment I'm a student. Starting my masters degree on Wednesday, then onto a PhD after that and then hopefully I can call myself a scientific researcher (based mainly in climate and Arctic sea ice).

While in college I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Did environmental and earth system science because I had an interest in meteorology, geography and things of the sort. I still had hopes of being a professional drummer at the time too, and was playing a lot of gigs and stuff in my time off.

It was only when I had a year off that I fully decided to focus on sea ice and climate as my area of expertise (the band not working out sort of helped too!). So now I'm doing my masters in Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing, so I can learn more about the satellite techniques used in monitoring sea ice and other climate attributes, and then doing spatial analysis through the GIS software.

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I went to Uni and sometimes still think I don't 25 years later. Go have fun and worry about what you want to do in 3/4 yrs time.

I did regret not doing a Msc at Plymouth Poly in Oceangraphy because at 22 I thought I was too old and ought to get a job ! That was around 1987 before Global warming !

Now days I will give you a Insurance cost if you want to build a off shore oil rig !

When i was 12 i decided i wanted to be a businessman and for the next few years it was a tie between that and Meteorology (volcanology and astronomy also have their appeal) however business won the day when i was 15/16. I decided that i was going to go to university and took my AS levels but far too much partying and lack of attendance resulted in a CD, i had also started part time work and became addicted to money (coming from a benefits background a few hundred sent me crazy) and so i decided to quit A levels and work part time. For several years i did menial jobs in retail and bars before my interest in politics was peaked in the run up to 2010 and i realised that politics was my true calling. I enrolled on an Access course and am currently studying an Economics degree with the intention of doing a Msc in Public Policy.

My advice is despite the bad press about graduate numbers, go to university for you will at least gain in knowledge that you may not elsewhere. In regards to degree choice my advice is to do more traditional degree subjects (such as Economics over Business studies) as these are better respected for the most part unless it is something very specific.

The most important piece of advice i will give you however is not to fall foul of the common barriers to success. Learn a foreign language (Spanish or Mandarin) and do not limit your career search to the UK for a lack labour flexibility is one of the biggest barriers to employment (remember that the UK is much better educated than most nations) so in the developing economies of South America or Aisa your skills will be in high demand.

When I was at school, my ambition was to get a degree. And then run my own pub.

But half way through my A Levels it suddenly occurred to me that I could be earning a living instead of earning nothing. So I got a job instead. Twelve years at one of the world's largest insurance brokers followed.

And then I ran my own pub biggrin.png

These days I'm semi-retired and just run an antique centre. Most of the time it's a lot less stressful!

Sounds great good on you

Worked in a psychiatric hospital in York up until 2001 when I left to live in Oulton Broad. Then studied English Lit' and history at UEA but left after two years on account of mental health probs. Now a writer of M/M gay stories with a 50,000 word WIP. And I'm a child minder for my sins. :D

Sounds great good on you

Except I don't make much money! Although there's a lot more to living than money.

I've done my A Levels and even though I could of gone to Univeristy (I had the grades) I decided to go to a Univeristy of Wales partner college and I'm doing a HND Business course and so far I love it. I'll do 2 years in Bridgend then I can do my top up to a BA Hons Business at any Univeristy or just stay at the college. It's lovely at the college instead of being in massive lectures, your in a small quiet education centre and the classes are only about 15-20 strong so you get to know everyone. I think I've made the right choice, there's more routes than just going to a big Univeristy, il still get the same degree as someone doing the 3 yrs BA Hons in Cardiff. After that I hope to get in to banking or work in retail (manager or something similar) but I'm keeping my options open. Might even do a masters.

Nail Technician - It's taken me years and various different career paths from Dental Nursing to working for Thames Valley Police until I found something that I really enjoy doing, I'm self employed and work from my home based salon so it ticks all the boxes for me !

Strategic (Business) Analyst at a major telecoms firm - yawn!

Wanted to be a pilot when i was younger....

Thanks guys, I'm glad I set this thread up because it's interesting to see what people do and how they gained experience. I'm currently doing an extended diploma as an IT practitioner, I wouldn't mind being a consultant so I could enroll on a computer science course with a year working abroad, might be valuable!

Thanks guys, I'm glad I set this thread up because it's interesting to see what people do and how they gained experience. I'm currently doing an extended diploma as an IT practitioner, I wouldn't mind being a consultant so I could enroll on a computer science course with a year working abroad, might be valuable!

Oh, you weren't just being nosey then blum.gif lol

All I can say is follow your heart and do something that interest and excites you, I've made a few bad life choices (and not just career ones) but there is nothing like the school of hard knocks and the university of life to make you realise what is important (and it's certainly not money).

All I can say is follow your heart and do something that interest and excites you, I've made a few bad life choices (and not just career ones) but there is nothing like the school of hard knocks and the university of life to make you realise what is important (and it's certainly not money).

Well I'll be in £40,000 debt when I come out so I will be trying my hardest to forget about the topic of money.

MKS is exactly right, I have been lucky and have ended up doing something that I enjoy most of the time. What I didn't put in mypost yesterday was that Inearly ended up as a solicitor, was working as a para-legeal bewteen graduateing and doing my MSc. I thought becasue eventually it would pay very well I could cope with doing something I hated as teh cash in the spare time would allow me to do fun things. That was very misguided we spend so much of our time at work it is essential to my mind that we enjoy doing it.

Good luck with whatever you do decide to do, keep your options open as well as you never know what might turn up and drag you off in an unexpected and fun direction.

M

I work for the National Trust in the North Lakes here. I'm part of the retail & recruitment team working in the small shops around and about, also I do help with running events in the Lakes. This is my second year and I'm loving it :)

A meteorologist for 30 years, working in the UK and Canada. Now sought of semi- retired with interest in rental property in Austria and West Sussex.