Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted

Yes look carefully!

post-4523-0-37837600-1356590866_thumb.gi

Forecast SSW 4/1/13!

The question is - will we see propagation?

This is what we would like to see on the EP flux forecast in the coming days:

post-4523-0-19465000-1356591096_thumb.gi

Do you think the EP flux is coming round to that?The ECM forecasts seem to be less equator bound every day but still quite a way away from a poleward surge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Zonal wind reversal showing up nicely at 10hPa on the ECM outputs within T240hrs now.

http://wekuw.met.fu-...l&var=u&lng=eng

confirming a SSW- surely the trophospheric vortex is on borrowed time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lots of excitement in here but the models are still not showing anything colder well into January even the ensembles are mild, so at the moment theirs no signs of any cold spells even in FI

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow that settles then freezes!

Thats such a poor effort at trolling I feel even more positive now, cheers pal!

Posted

He's not trolling though, just stating what the models are currently showing.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Lots of excitement in here but the models are still not showing anything colder well into January even the ensembles are mild, so at the moment theirs no signs of any cold spells even in FI

I am sure a more learned member will correct me if I am wrong but don't think the weather models will show anything until the warming cycle hits the troposphere (sp)?

Besides, the Meto 16-30 suggests colder so what are they looking at that has made them suggest that?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

That's because we don't know exactly how the forecast SSW will affect the troposphere. I do not expect to see too much on the ECM op yet - though the extended ensembles may begin to show increasing colder scenarios. The GFS ensembles may also start to hint at some colder solutions as well. Remember we are looking at around day 10 right up in the strat and that will take some time to filter down.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

He's not trolling though, just stating what the models are currently showing.

Pretty sure this isn't the Model Output Discussion thread - it's about the Stratosphere and what effect it could potentially have on our weather further down the line. Read through the pages, mid Jan looks like a good bet of a SSW event. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Posted

Would you agree CH that the future GFS FI charts are prone to wildly different outputs due to the model figuring out how the warming will impact the troposphere. Also if you had to put a rough date on when you think this SSW could have the biggest impact on our weather when would that be?

Apologies if im asking an impossible question but its more desperation on my part.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Would you agree CH that the future GFS FI charts are prone to wildly different outputs due to the model figuring out how the warming will impact the troposphere. Also if you had to put a rough date on when you think this SSW could have the biggest impact on our weather when would that be?

Apologies if im asking an impossible question but its more desperation on my part.

Definitely impossible questions Dave. Climatology would suggest that in the following 45 days after a SSW we will have 3 bursts of negative mean zonal winds directed towards the troposphere. At these points blocking will be increased in high latitudes. Climatology also suggests that following a displacement SSW one of the areas seeing increased heights would be around southern Greenland.

My guess is that we will see height rises towards the N/NE of the UK as there have been repeated suggestions that the displaced vortex towards the Atlantic will subsequently split in this area.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I'm no expert, but from from what I have come to learn over the past few years, the lag time between a SSW and any possible effects here in the UK sits somewhere between 2-4 weeks ?

So assuming that's right, I'd say somewhere around the end of January or the beginning of Feb ??

Posted

Cheers CH for the reply mate.

Ignore my latest post on the model discussion thread then because it looks as though im being far too impatient and expecting too much too early. Personally I would love to see the impact of the SSW towards the latter part of Jan/Early Feb because although the days are slightly longer the upper temps from the N/E can be at there coldest.

Whatever happens though its been another fasinating season of following this thread.

Posted

Pretty sure this isn't the Model Output Discussion thread - it's about the Stratosphere and what effect it could potentially have on our weather further down the line. Read through the pages, mid Jan looks like a good bet of a SSW event. Correct me if I'm wrong!

it does indeed look very likely, but that means nothing if we end up on the wrong side of things.

Posted

I'm no expert, but from from what I have come to learn over the past few years, the lag time between a SSW and any possible effects here in the UK sits somewhere between 2-4 weeks ?

So assuming that's right, I'd say somewhere around the end of January or the beginning of Feb ??

I think I'm right in saying that the date of the forecasted SSW has actually moved forward somewhat, from Jan 10th to Jan 5th or thereabouts.

Bish

Posted

I don't think we shall be waiting long, certainly not till the start of February. But as CH iterates, we don't know how the SWW will impact upon the troposphere, i.e. blocking. Interestingly there is some support for height rises around the southern Greenland area around mid month, with a possible MJO phase 7.

Posted Image

Beforehand the geopotential height charts seem to show heights attempting to build north eastwards, which is shown on the NAEFS as well

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

On the latest GFS 06z suite, the stratosphere's top temperature at 10mb is above 0c from +81 to +216, peaking at an incredible 10.1c at +129.

Regardless of the overall outcome, it truly is a pleasure to witness the atmosphere change so dynamically and the processes involved.

• Like 2

Posted

Can anyone tell me what we in europe will have? And to the south like Portugal and Spain? Cold temp to us too? Thank's!

You can never tell the tropospheric response at this stage (-10d from SSW), but the overall outcome would be more conductive to northern blocking, with vortex energy moving elsewhere, potentially away from northern latitudes- the crux of the current warming will be how the vortex responds (and to a lesser extent, where the polar high and associated ridge puts itself)-

Right now, I couldn't tell you, but the chances of cold will increase for Iberia as we progress through January. Ask back in perhaps a week or so and confidence will be higher as the NWP comes to grips with the energy 'spill' from the initial warming.

Posted

You can never tell the tropospheric response at this stage (-10d from SSW), but the overall outcome would be more conductive to northern blocking, with vortex energy moving elsewhere, potentially away from northern latitudes- the crux of the current warming will be how the vortex responds (and to a lesser extent, where the polar high and associated ridge puts itself)-

Right now, I couldn't tell you, but the chances of cold will increase for Iberia as we progress through January. Ask back in perhaps a week or so and confidence will be higher as the NWP comes to grips with the energy 'spill' from the initial warming.

Thank you so much for your reply... as i understand it's difficult to know what will happen, but what kind of temp we can expect in Portugal? You know we are not prepared for cold temp, so it's important i have an idea of what i should be prepared. Thank's a lot!Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Anywhere between 15c and 21c

Posted

I don't think he is trolling but it does bring absolutely nothing to what is a fantastic thread. Hopefully the perenial knockers will keep their cynicism and reservations to themselves or better still let it all go in the model mood thread!!

So here's that age-old caveat to those that either just seem to want it to not work out or who are just generally pessimistic (or realists in their own minds)... We are heading towards a strong stratospheric warming, even a possible SSW. With that comes increased opportunities of cold weather through increased HLB that will almost certainly occur as a consequence. BUT it may not be favourable for us. Nobody knows that yet!

Think of it as getting to roll one throw of a dice once a month during winter and under 'standard' atmospheric conditions needing a '1' to get a decent cold weather period to our shores. With this warming about to get underway rolling a '2' and '3' should also do. If we then get really favourable signals on top going into January add a '4' onto the list and even in extreme circumstances a '5' may also suffice. But spoiler number '6' is always, but always, going to be on that dice.

The analogy is not saying it's JUST about luck, moreover that some degree of luck will always be required for us.

• Like 8

Posted

negative???

I can't predict, but if pushed to, my analogues would be conductive to a negative anomaly of -1c to -3c in Portugal for January. For Coimbra, this is a high of about 10c and a low of about 1c.

Posted

I can't predict, but if pushed to, my analogues would be conductive to a negative anomaly of -1c to -3c in Portugal for January. For Coimbra, this is a high of about 10c and a low of about 1c.

well that's the normal temps... today i have 0c of min temp, but below -5c, i have to take precutionary measures.