Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

This is a new thread for me and one which I am slowly starting to understand. Just a quick question form me. Will the metoffice be aware of this forecasted warming of the stratosphere? If so will their 6-30 forecast change to show a more colder outlook? Many thanks GSL

I am sure that the UKMO will be aware of the strat warming forecasts. I don't know when this will come through in the updated GloSea4 model - but I would expect to see a more variable forecast within a week for the end of the period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I am sure that the UKMO will be aware of the strat warming forecasts. I don't know when this will come through in the updated GloSea4 model - but I would expect to see a more variable forecast within a week for the end of the period.

To a certain extent chiono, they already are, they mention a great deal of uncertainty as one might expect but then also mention the possibility of more settled conditions, obviously that is very open and suggests high pressure more influential, whether they think that be to the North, North East or North West or anywhere less favourable is anybodys guess.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

thanks for that GF - its just meteociels representation of temps only that is misleading

Yep. Its misleading because it only shows temperature. The center is still fairly good visible from the gradients and the general shape, but as others have already pointed out, the geopotential height maps are the ones you need to look at, if you want to know where exactly is the forecasted center. :)

Posted

Wow. http://forum.nwstatic.co.uk//public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.png This could be a major if it comes to fruition. If nothing else, at least the trend is good for now. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Having all been recently burnt by the Easterly that never was it's nice to see the more stable stratospheric forecasts of late. Could anything now scupper this warming event Chiono? Obviously the intensisty could and probably will reduce but how set in stone is a strong warming at this stage?

Oh and GP's comment ref the forecast 100 deg increase at 5hpa, in that timescale, is still (but not yet) sinking in. Outrageous.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Just been reading back through the Cohen et al. Paper on SAI and corresponding stratospheric feedback, and I think this paragraph stood out for me:

I think you can see where I am placing the emphasis there, and this was certainly the case in 2009/10, though of course we did also end up with a cold spell in mid-late December that year. Would anyone happen to have a link to the eurasian snowfall advance in 2009 to see if it happened any quicker than this year?

SK

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/gif_archive.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Indeed the GFS 0z downgrades the 384 warming from 14c to 4c at 10hpa- hopefully the trend is just a freak for now, mind you, the 0z would eventually get very near, it seems under-progressive in comparison to previous runs.

Posted

Recretos - have you seen J Cohen's work regarding stratospehric warming feedback from rate of gain of October Eurasian snowcover? This is well known and has been illustrated many times on here - it confirms what you are trying to show.

We are seeing the first signs of warming brought into the ECM at 10 Hpa today at T+240 - so we can start to watch this come into the reliable now.

post-4523-0-91554000-1355471764_thumb.gi

The GFS still has a strong warming forecast - perhaps not quite as strong as last night - only up to 4.5C!

post-4523-0-60158300-1355471925_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

The 00z is a little slower but 4C max and probably still warming at 384hrs from the looks of things would still more than likely do the job of finishing off what is already still a fairly unstable vortex. You aren't going to see a solid temp rise of 40-50C in 5 days or so not cause havoc on the PV.

Posted

Recretos - have you seen J Cohen's work regarding stratospehric warming feedback from rate of gain of October Eurasian snowcover? This is well known and has been illustrated many times on here - it confirms what you are trying to show.

Actually I haven't read any of his papers yet. And neither have I read this whole thread. I was almost 100% that this is nothing new, but I still thought it might be interesting. Sorry about that. I will try to look around next time before I post. :)

Posted

Actually I haven't read any of his papers yet. And neither have I read this whole thread. I was almost 100% that this is nothing new, but I still thought it might be interesting. Sorry about that. I will try to look around next time before I post. Posted Image

Keep doing what you are doing, recretos. It was good to see that you have reached the same conclusion as Cohen in what was probably a fraction of the time!!

• Like 5

I'm relatively new to this Forum, some fantastic posts and a huge learning curve for me, and cutting edge. Thanks to all.

FWIW, the ECM Ensemble mean from T240 to T360 maintains the PV directly over Novaya Zemlya/Kara Sea, and intensifies and propogates the warming seen over Siberia at T240 driving it towards the pole. 10hPa temps climbing to between -20 to -24C over Siberia, that's an anomaly around +18 to +21C. Being an Ensemble mean it's not as extreme as the GFS/ECM ops. But the trend is definitely there.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm relatively new to this Forum, some fantastic posts and a huge learning curve for me, and cutting edge. Thanks to all.

FWIW, the ECM Ensemble mean from T240 to T360 maintains the PV directly over Novaya Zemlya/Kara Sea, and intensifies and propogates the warming seen over Siberia at T240 driving it towards the pole. 10hPa temps climbing to between -20 to -24C over Siberia, that's an anomaly around +18 to +21C. Being an Ensemble mean it's not as extreme as the GFS/ECM ops. But the trend is definitely there.

Well shuttler, if you have access to the ecm ens mean at day 15, you are a very welcome addition to the forum !

• Like 3

Posted

Welcome Shuttler, the more the merrier!

Recretos, this paper may be of interest to you and others. One of Cohens.

http://web.mit.edu/jlcohen/www/papers/CohenandJones_JC12.pdf

Posted

Up to 9.2C this run at 10 hpa and starting to show at the more southern latitudes in the high res output.

post-4523-0-97649800-1355482750_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Might just be worth keeping tabs on extended GFS ops as there may be a fast response wave induced down through the troposphere as well as the more traditional day +20 downwell.

noted on the 06GFS and also the naefs 00z spreads seemed to be showing some high heights headed towards to pole north of the aleutians

Posted

a very informative forum if slightly above my head , but if im "getting " this right , are we saying that warming of Pole are expected to be higher than usual which impacts the PV which in turn leads to a decrease of westerly winds leading to HLB ? Also in the next few days we may see tentaive signs of an AH in NWP ?

Edited by southbank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Nice read Ed.

Considering that, and the very near miss we just had it suggests IMO an enhanced chance the deeper into winter to what we've just had....and we were close this time. That is one serious Siberian HP

BFTP

Posted

Would i be right in saying those are record temps??

They are only forecasts, but I think that they will be close to the highest recorded. Haven't located that info yet - just means.