Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted

Is it true (amazing to me if it is) that Mountain Torque effects (low pressure one side of a range, high on the other) actually slows the earths spin (albeit miniscule amounts)?

I'm genuinely impressed by that as a backyard astronomer.

Des.

I believe so, it surprised me too though! Although if I remember correctly, this applies to -ve mountain torque events, and +ve events speed up the earths rotation. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Just found this Skyraker, Chiono posted this a while back from a paper:

Mountain Torque is a function of pressure and orography and is the ‘turning force’ exerted

due to a difference in pressure across any raised surface on the earth, but most signiï¬cantly,

mountains or mountain massifs. Consider a mountain with a high pressure on the west side

of a mountain and low pressure on the east. The pressure system will exert an eastward

torque that causes the earth to increase it’s rate of rotation, imparting angular momentum

from the atmosphere to the solid earth. The opposite case, where there is higher pressure

on the east side of the mountain, will slow the earth’s rotation down, reducing the solid

earth’s angular momentum, and imparting it to the atmosphere.

Here is the paper:

http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/maths/Simon_Driscoll.pdf

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

Just found this Skyraker, Chiono posted this a while back from a paper:

Mountain Torque is a function of pressure and orography and is the ‘turning force’ exerted

due to a difference in pressure across any raised surface on the earth, but most signiï¬cantly,

mountains or mountain massifs. Consider a mountain with a high pressure on the west side

of a mountain and low pressure on the east. The pressure system will exert an eastward

torque that causes the earth to increase it’s rate of rotation, imparting angular momentum

from the atmosphere to the solid earth. The opposite case, where there is higher pressure

on the east side of the mountain, will slow the earth’s rotation down, reducing the solid

earth’s angular momentum, and imparting it to the atmosphere.

Here is the paper:

http://www.reading.a...on_Driscoll.pdf

That proposition seems to me most improbable. Considering the mass of the air in the high pressure system, the mass of Earth, and Newton's second law, I should have thought we could see "highs" bouncing off mountain ranges, but they don't seem to me affected by, say, the Ural Mountains, and neither have I observed that that the huge Asian winter high north of the Himalayas causes Earth to start rotating north - south in winter. Of course there is a reaction from Earth, but what form it takes is most complex, and in any case it is so insignificant we have always ignored it. If this is supposed to be accepted science, it ought to be possible to measure it going on.

When I think of Earth's surface, with the Andes, Rocky Mountains, Ghats, Atlas mountains etc each experiencing weather, and when I think of tectonic plates floating about like seperate islands, the plastic nature of Earth's crust and the molten core, the idea that high pressure pressing against a mountain range alters Earth's rate of rotation seems impossible to prove, for which reason I am inclined to dismiss the notion as metaphysics.

Wouldn't stong winds crossing a mountainous coast have the same effect if this is true? isn't it likely that high winds and high pressure to one side of mountain ranges would cause earthquakes? How can we compile excellent astronomical almanacs if Earth's rate of rotation is subject to the whim of weather? Does Earth's rate of rotation change when a storm surge presses masses of the Southern Ocean against the continental shelf off Chile?

Edited by Alan Robinson
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

Looks like the latest run of ECMWF for 240 h is showing wave 2 backing down a bit from yesterday.

E.g. geopotential is only 500 where is was forecast to be 650 yesterday (http://wekuw.met.fu-berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/eczm.php?alert=1&forecast=f240&var=ha2&lng=eng)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

That proposition seems to me most improbable. Considering the mass of the air in the high pressure system, the mass of Earth, and Newton's second law, I should have thought we could see "highs" bouncing off mountain ranges, but they don't seem to me affected by, say, the Ural Mountains, and neither have I observed that that the huge Asian winter high north of the Himalayas causes Earth to start rotating north - south in winter. Of course there is a reaction from Earth, but what form it takes is most complex, and in any case it is so insignificant we have always ignored it. If this is supposed to be accepted science, it ought to be possible to measure it going on.

When I think of Earth's surface, with the Andes, Rocky Mountains, Ghats, Atlas mountains etc each experiencing weather, and when I think of tectonic plates floating about like seperate islands, the plastic nature of Earth's crust and the molten core, the idea that high pressure pressing against a mountain range alters Earth's rate of rotation seems impossible to prove, for which reason I am inclined to dismiss the notion as metaphysics.

Wouldn't stong winds crossing a mountainous coast have the same effect if this is true? isn't it likely that high winds and high pressure to one side of mountain ranges would cause earthquakes? How can we compile excellent astronomical almanacs if Earth's rate of rotation is subject to the whim of weather? Does Earth's rate of rotation change when a storm surge presses masses of the Southern Ocean against the continental shelf off Chile?

That's just what I know. Earth's atmospheric angular momentum varies all the time and that momentum has to go somewhere, through events such as mountain torques.

I think what you described with wind over mountains is called frictional torque, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Alan the answers are yes - that all does occur - but the effect on the earths rotation is negligable - however it isn't negligable on the reverse- the global wind oscillation (GWO)

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like the latest run of ECMWF for 240 h is showing wave 2 backing down a bit from yesterday.

E.g. geopotential is only 500 where is was forecast to be 650 yesterday (http://wekuw.met.fu-...var=ha2&lng=eng)

Yes I agree, with that FSP - I suspect that we will need further wave activity further down the line.

One thing I noticed this morning is the slightest hint of an upper warming (1hPA) about to occur? Who knows?

post-4523-0-68562200-1352794332_thumb.gi

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hi chio a qs. With the data we have available to us what is the lowest strat temp recorded and and highest recorded? Thx.

Posted

That's just what I know. Earth's atmospheric angular momentum varies all the time and that momentum has to go somewhere, through events such as mountain torques.

I think what you described with wind over mountains is called frictional torque, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes there is friction because there is contact and movement. But think of the roof on your house, the timber structure is there to prevent the wind pressure distorting the roof. Pressure is force * area. It is exactly the same with mountains, and the wind causes pressure on the slopes. That pressure is resisted by stresses in the ground, which is why I mentioned earthquakes. If the wind force was sufficient to alter Earth's rotational velocity, I am convinced there would be earthquakes.

We have also to consider that strong winds probably exert a greater force on mountains than mere barometric pressure. The Trade Winds and monsoons most generally affect low-lying coastlines, while the westerlies hit the Andes and the Rockies. If the westerlies cause Earth's rotational velocity to increase, where then are the winds that slow it down again? Newton's First Law states earth will continue rotating at a constant velocity unless something happens to slow it down. Something has to counteract the westerlies hitting the Andes and Rockies. What exactly?

Moreover, as I put, people are able to calculate the positions of stars, planets, moon and sun in the sky with such considerable accuracy many years in advance, that we are able to navigate the oceans using a sextant and chronometer; and navigators have never in my knowledge reported in recent times that the almanac has been wrong, which it would be if Earth was speeding up and slowing down because there happens to be a big high off Chile.

I'd say that the kind of observations navigators carried out before GPS arrived amount to a huge scientific experiment. The calculations on which the almanac is based are the theory, and the theory is confirmed by practical observations that can be repeated by anyone, anywhere if they are taught and equipped. This means that scientifically speaking, Earth's rotational velocity is not subject to any significant random variation (highs off Chile or British Columbia), and that the variations that do occur are predictable. It follows that the notion of high pressure next to mountains altering Earth's rotational velocity is most unlikely.

Edited by Alan Robinson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I don't think there is any suggestion that the earth itself slows or speeds up, the effect is so small as to make no difference.

However, when negative mountain torques occur the momentum is transferred to the atmosphere in the form of waves through the atmosphere that can have a measurable effect on the atmospheric circulation.

When these waves reach the stratosphere they can cause warming and reverse the polar flow. That is what is measurable and what we're looking for evidence of in this thread.

• Like 4

Posted

I think that if anyone wishes to discuss the transfer of energy from the atmosphere to the earth that it is now done in a new topic so that we can keep this one relevent, interesting though that the discussion is.

Thanks.

• Like 4

Posted

Back to the stratosphere. The latest forecasts are veering away from a lower strat split today. The increased wave activity is causing distortion of the stratospheric vortex - my thoughts are very much along the lines that this wave 2 activity will not be enough in itself to lead to prolonged blocking but will set off a number of trop/ strat feedback waves that eventually will lead to a warmer strat.

I think that it is very unlikely that we will see a Canadian Warming this month.

Posted

hi chio a qs. With the data we have available to us what is the lowest strat temp recorded and and highest recorded? Thx.

That depends on what pressure level, latitude and time of year that you mean.

Data here to check http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/ - if you have difficulty viewing due to a VI, syed I will look later for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

thanks chio. Im talking during nh winter.

Posted

I don't think there is any suggestion that the earth itself slows or speeds up, the effect is so small as to make no difference.

I agree the effect - if there is one - is insignificant, however see #602 where it certainly is suggested Earth's rotation velocity is affected, which is why I saw fit to comment.

Posted

I agree the effect - if there is one - is insignificant, however see #602 where it certainly is suggested Earth's rotation velocity is affected, which is why I saw fit to comment.

The way it is worded to the uninitiated, one would imagine that the earth's spin could almost grind to a halt if the MT is strong enough! - however in practical terms we know that the effect is negligable!

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Hey guys, I'm new to this Strat thread and I was just wondering if someone would be able to explain what MB is in terms of the strat, is it millibars like pressure? Also, which start catergory should i be looking at on this page: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/temperature/?

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Posted

Hey guys, I'm new to this Strat thread and I was just wondering if someone would be able to explain what MB is in terms of the strat, is it millibars like pressure? Also, which start catergory should i be looking at on this page: http://www.cpc.ncep....e/temperature/?

Thanks a lot for the help Posted Image

You're right it is millibars in that context - effectively the same as hPa for the level that we look at.

Posted

Yes there is friction because there is contact and movement. But think of the roof on your house, the timber structure is there to prevent the wind pressure distorting the roof. Pressure is force * area. It is exactly the same with mountains, and the wind causes pressure on the slopes. That pressure is resisted by stresses in the ground, which is why I mentioned earthquakes. If the wind force was sufficient to alter Earth's rotational velocity, I am convinced there would be earthquakes.

We have also to consider that strong winds probably exert a greater force on mountains than mere barometric pressure. The Trade Winds and monsoons most generally affect low-lying coastlines, while the westerlies hit the Andes and the Rockies. If the westerlies cause Earth's rotational velocity to increase, where then are the winds that slow it down again? Newton's First Law states earth will continue rotating at a constant velocity unless something happens to slow it down. Something has to counteract the westerlies hitting the Andes and Rockies. What exactly?

Moreover, as I put, people are able to calculate the positions of stars, planets, moon and sun in the sky with such considerable accuracy many years in advance, that we are able to navigate the oceans using a sextant and chronometer; and navigators have never in my knowledge reported in recent times that the almanac has been wrong, which it would be if Earth was speeding up and slowing down because there happens to be a big high off Chile.

I'd say that the kind of observations navigators carried out before GPS arrived amount to a huge scientific experiment. The calculations on which the almanac is based are the theory, and the theory is confirmed by practical observations that can be repeated by anyone, anywhere if they are taught and equipped. This means that scientifically speaking, Earth's rotational velocity is not subject to any significant random variation (highs off Chile or British Columbia), and that the variations that do occur are predictable. It follows that the notion of high pressure next to mountains altering Earth's rotational velocity is most unlikely.

The effect is there, but it is tiny, which I think is what you are trying to get at. I never suggested that the effect was measurable, which is where I think the confusion has arisen!

Pressure is Force/ Area by the way.

I think that if anyone wishes to discuss the transfer of energy from the atmosphere to the earth that it is now done in a new topic so that we can keep this one relevent, interesting though that the discussion is.

Thanks.

Yes, either that or we draw a line under it.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

Just quickly, Matt, as I am at work, but I agree with all of that and was going to post something similar today, so thanks for saving my slow typing fingers!

• Like 1

Posted

. Stewart seems to expect plenty wave 2 activity over the next few weeks. My understanding being that the activity we see now forecast is the consequence of trop waves a few weeks ago and the trop picture over the past couple weeks/currently will lead to more of this.

whilst I would tend to agree with you, I've rarely seen GP so bullish about the next month or so.

The current wave 2 forecast seems to prevent the zonal wind going above 30 m/s at 30 hpa.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

Thanks for a professional sum up Matt.

I guess most people follow the evolution on the Berlin site but is there a possibility to access the EC 32 Day or is it only available to professionals?

Thanks,

Stephane

Edited by FrenchScotPilot1

Posted

Thanks for a professional sum up Matt.

I guess most people follow the evolution on the Berlin site but is there a possibility to access the EC 32 Day or is it only available to professionals?

Thanks,

Stephane

Unfortunately not I'm afraid, it's only available to companies who have paid the ECMWF for it, these usually being WMO organisations. Obviously I can offer text updates and information and clearly the 15 to 30 day outlook on the UKMO website is based on the EC 32 day primarily, but as for graphics and info, that's not online to the public.

Cheers, Matt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

If I am going to a fun fair today, its going to be the MJO one in Kamchutka, think the balls (ridges) used there might help win the game.

Saying that some less positive signals defined by HM over on US Wx, solar activity cited as cranking the vortex up.

Finely balanced..