Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Posted Image

GFS 6z at D10 keeps the core polar vortex energy in NE Siberia, and a ridging vortex in NE Canada into Greenland- the long term prediction, moving into D15 is the shift of the NE Canada energy into a more southern clime, around SE Canada/Newfoundland- whilst keeping in a more optimistic western ridge into Greenland- the nwp output at a similar timescale favours a Polar High emerging- what the GFS 0z does to the tropo-vortex is completely take out the Greenland ridge with a squeezing high moving in- this could in turn end the pattern of lower heights to the north and north-east

Posted Image

GFS 6z solution at D16 is for the Siberian sector to remain under the polar energy, without the previous ridge into Scandinavia- and the shift towards the pv to SE Canada..

The signal for me is that pattern rises to the NE are likely in the next 16-24 day period, with heights very low towards the NW, a sort of battleground again (note, this is before the stratospheric warming takes influence on us, so the pattern looks likely to be increasingly transient).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Wow!

Day 11 at 10 hPa - a whopping 15.1ºC

post-4523-0-43020700-1356359660_thumb.gi

• Like 9

Posted

-3c at 192, end of hi-res as well. Definitely moving into strong warming territory; whether it can penetrate into the strat-vortex core is another matter, but the steady synoptic changes we will see over the next month in the NH will be interesting and part of my fascination with weather and meteorology really.

• Like 3

Posted

When waiting for troposphere response, I think this graph might prove useful. Its the blocking strength/location forecast from CFSv2. Since CFSv2 is also a troposphere/stratosphere coupled model with downward wave coupling integrated, it should get the idea of a possible SSW induced blocking.

Posted Image

Given the verification, it should start picking it up around 6-8 days in advance.

Posted Image

CFSv2 has some problems with simulating downward wave propagation from the strat, but on a shorter range when thing are about to "blow", I think (I hope) it should see something. Some easy to understand info in here: :)http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ctb/meetings/2012/CFSv2/Perlwitz.pdf

I find it really interesting how ECMWF just doesn't want to buy this top strat warming. Posted Image My money goes to ECM, due to its reputation, but my hopes are on GFS regarding this matter. But I think they will both correct themselves, ECM firing up a bit, and GFS maybe watering it down a notch or two.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Bye Bye PV....

Posted Image

Posted

Recretos, the ECM is a day behind with it's forecasts which is why the 1 hPa warming isn't showing quite as significantly yet.

Also 12Z GFS as close to a predicted SSW that we have had to date.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 1

Posted

I know. But I was comparing the exact runs and the same forecast time (240h). Posted Image

Ah I see sorry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

There isn't a lot left of the PV here;

post-12721-0-89445800-1356392258_thumb.j

It's been capooned!

Posted

The warming is not as strong on the 18z GFS suite as on the 12z suite- but instead of the vortex (albeit crumbling and in pieces) being situated to the north/north-west of us, the warming takes it from Greenland to Scandinavia, with lessening energy movement from D15 onwards-

A new signal that would be very positive for us here- you can see the potential opening up slowly but surely

edit: HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Edited by Isolated Frost
  • Like 5

Posted

The latest runs are of course still swinging a bit here and there, but an improving trend and progress are defiantly there! :) Interesting times ahead I could say. :)

Happy holidays everyone. Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

The warming is not as strong on the 18z GFS suite as on the 12z suite- but instead of the vortex (albeit crumbling and in pieces) being situated to the north/north-west of us, the warming takes it from Greenland to Scandinavia, with lessening energy movement from D15 onwards-

A new signal that would be very positive for us here- you can see the potential opening up slowly but surely

edit: HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Which would also tie in nicely if we can reach a higher amplitude MJO phase 7/8 by mid month, that would certainly aid in Greenland height rises!

Posted Imagepost-6181-0-99871000-1356396135_thumb.gi

Although saying that the lastest update is for it to remain weak

http://www.cpc.ncep....O/mjoupdate.pdf

Some great posts so far this year, making it one of my favorite threads on the forum. A subject that i've very much enjoyed learning about as well. To many to name but CH, IF, Phil, GP, Lorenzo, Recretos etc.. Merry xmas to you all!! Posted Image

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 6

What a pleasure it is to find such a thread every winter. Monitoring this kind of stuff if incredibly quite interesting and those who have posted in here have done a marvelous job in both explaining model outputs and potential impacts on sensible weather.

To add some food for thought, it has been proposed that in order to help propagate the warming down from the top of the stratosphere to the troposphere, EP flux vectors must point to the poles in the troposphere. EP (Eliasssan-Palmer) flux is used to help describe eddy forcing of zonal wind anomalies. When EP vectors are pointed to the poles, wave propagation is enhanced and the polar jet is decelerated. These poleward propagating EP-fluxes are generated by tropospheric planetary waves which lead to our SSW events.

Essentially when pointed polewards in the troposphere the zonal mean wind state is weakened allowing for some warming to make its way down. Of course, we also have to get the warming down from 10 mb where the 0z GFS shows 60+C temp change at the north pole. So far seeing displacement from 30mb to 100mb from strong wave 1 and weaker PV but the intensity of the warming is dampened as you go down which won't give it a final blow unless we see more events. But then again, the degree of displacement should be sufficient unless you're out for blood against the PV, which in that case we will need more for the kill.

Here's a study which brushes over the EP flux. http://center.stelab...mazaki_koji.pdf

Some more background on the EP http://www.rsmas.mia...Palm Theory.pdf

Source of EP flux forecast that I could get my hands on http://ds.data.jma.g...x.html#monit_nh

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Merry Xmas Strat fiends, hope you have suitably suddenly warm day :)

• Like 3

Posted

Great strat forecasts today. Almost a true SSW forecast by the end of the 06Z GFS run.

post-4523-0-88585400-1356426412_thumb.pn

And how is this for tremendous wave activity?

post-4523-0-26730300-1356426451_thumb.gi

It beats hands down the last activity.

I'll stick with my SSW forecast of 10th Jan!

I truly hopes so Chion, we need something to drag us out of the awful Synoptics showing in the models at the moment. Merry Xmas to all who contribute here, keep up the excellent work.
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks for the updates Chino and all the others who make such great contributions to this thread.

Potentially at least we have some interesting model viewing coming up as we head into the new year.

All these xmas films has made me want my snow fix more than everPosted Image

Merry Christmas everyonePosted Image

Posted

Well the 06z gfs post T300 is astonishing with a clear SSW and reversal of the flow higher up in the strat. At the top of the strat, there is no vortex at all. the past few runs have brought those higher temps straight into the core at 10hpa so we definitely have a consistent signal for an SSW sometime between the 7th and 10th jan. the latter parts of the gfs trop op runs should now begin to show us if we can expect an immediate wave response in the trop.

• Like 4

Posted

The warming at the top of the stratosphere is way off the scale on the 06z!

Edited by Cloud 10