Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted

The amount of warming will change at that time range, what is good however is the continued forecast of a strong warming at the 10hpa level around the Siberian sector (can't get access to the 30hpa charts on nw).

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The amount of warming will change at that time range, what is good however is the continued forecast of a strong warming at the 10hpa level around the Siberian sector (can't get access to the 30hpa charts on nw).

Yes, chiono said that 10hpa going above zero would be remarkable anyway and -8 would be fine, if you want any 30hpa charts posted, just tell me the timeframe, ive posted one of them above.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Certainly the poorest forecast for those hoping to see a SSW in the last few days.

Posted

Certainly the poorest forecast for those hoping to see a SSW in the last few days.

Are you referring to just the 18z or the NWP output in general over the last 24 hours?, i thought all was not going to plan going by the last few runs, please dont say it is all going to implode at the last minute like the tropospheric forecast 10 days ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Well the vortex would be well maintained (as in survive) well with the forecasted warming on the 18z- as well as the lack of cold moving into the cold core- plenty of opportunity for change though and the ECMWF is coming into 'warming' territory now.

Posted Image

-21c at 240- hopefully tomorrow's 12z pulls that further

• Like 1

Posted

Blimey, this thread beginning to sound like the model thread during the fabled easterly......'its coming', 'its coming'....'Huston we have a problem...'

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 3

Posted

Decent looking zonal wind profile at D10

post-5114-0-09678800-1355730740_thumb.gi

At 10mb, although not as extreme as previous output, things look very good still, I would imagine this should cause serious disruption to the stratospheric vortex..

post-5114-0-92770900-1355733364_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-54200200-1355733372_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-03541100-1355733379_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-45877100-1355733384_thumb.gi

One thing this year I have noticed regards wave 1 & 2 forecasts is that they have often been under-estimated in terms of intensisty out at D8/9/10. Worst case they don't seem to be any less intense than originally forecast by the time it reaches D0. Or I am imagining that?

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The 12Z EC from yesterday still shows, in my opinion, not a particularly bad outlook. However, saying that the discussions and various charts continue to seemingly be within a time frame which never feels like it's getting any closer.

The warming out towards 216hr/240hr at 30hPa is clearly there, but isn't any significant at that level as yet;

http://wekuw.met.fu-...ast=all&lng=eng

The last chart, again though at 240hrs, looks promising in terms of the position of the main vortex and particularly so regarding the marked height rises evident over Canada. If you move up towards the 10hPa level then the warming is far more marked and noteworthy, but clearly that depends on how much of a rise in temperature you want and/or need;

http://wekuw.met.fu-...ast=all&lng=eng

Will the warmth get entrained into the main vortex over Russia?..who knows, but the above set of charts still look quite impressive and noteworthy to me. The resultant and potential warmth still creates some reduction in the zonal winds and also an increase in temperatures;

http://wekuw.met.fu-...alert=1&lng=eng

http://wekuw.met.fu-...alert=1&lng=eng

What continues to stand out however is the persistence and strength of the wave 1 activity, surely of which can only be a good thing and there are tentative signs of wave 2 perhaps increasing later in the forecast period;

http://wekuw.met.fu-...var=ha1&lng=eng

As I mentioned though, a lot of the forecast charts for a week or two continue to be noteworthy but at a time frame that doesn't feel as though it is getting any nearer. The signaled warmth has always been a feature for later in December, so we'll just have to wait and see I guess, but I am slowly beginning to get an 'unpleasant' feeling in my stomach that unless we get a SSW then the broader outlook may well not amount to much apart from perhaps a week or two of cold(ish) weather. Clearly we are only 17 days into winter and there is a long way to go, but January, in my opinion, is one of the best 4 week windows to get some 'proper' cold weather as otherwise time can quickly move on and you need some really noteworthy synoptics to deliver the goods in February as the sun's strength grows ever stronger.

Long way to go, but I hope these constant signs and signals eventually make it to T+24hr!

Cheers, Matt.

i think u may have made a miss quote in your post as sun grows ever stronger oops i dont think its anywhere as strong as its peak in november septemeber.

so maybe will can remove this factor.

http://www.solarham.net/

although i can in your defence say is the sept and november peak in sun levels is it going to have a lag effect to remove good strat warming event and remove the possiblity of the strat teleconnection ect ect its a possibility because it seems that all the time things are getting downgraded.

one for gp do u think the winter lrf should be taken down until more confidence and more closer range singles start to show there hand?

not saying in anyway i dont think your input is valid infact i think its brillant work.

Edited by model rollercoaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

MR, Matt refers to as the day lengthens so the sun strengthens....its to do with how long its above the horizon and high it gets in the sky, not on its sunspot output

BFTP

• Like 2

i think u may have made a miss quote in your post as sun grows ever stronger oops i dont think its anywhere as strong as its peak in november septemeber.

so maybe will can remove this factor.

http://www.solarham.net/

although i can in your defence say is the sept and november peak in sun levels is it going to have a lag effect to remove good strat warming event and remove the possiblity of the strat teleconnection ect ect its a possibility because it seems that all the time things are getting downgraded.

one for gp do u think the winter lrf should be taken down until more confidence and more closer range singles start to show there hand?

not saying in anyway i dont think your input is valid infact i think its brillant work.

I think he was simply meaning as the sun's height and strength we feel increases in February.

edit too slow!

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

06z seems to bring us a nice burst of warmth

Posted Image

Followed by

Posted Image

Nice integration into the vortex at 384? Novice speaking here, but willing to learn.

Posted

I'm sure ed will be along later but the last two gfs runs plus the berlin update have looked ok to me. temps certainly rising on the canadian side as the warmth is integrated into the vortex and no sign that the source is stopping anytime soon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Hi, sorry to ask because i'm sure its been mentioned, but can someone give me a link to cohens times of weather patterns leading to a SSW, as I heard someone mention that a ridge from the SW is part of the process. Thanks

Posted

After an indifferent Sunday for GFS strat forecasts, a definate trend being retouted by the GFS today.

I'm actually thinking we have two warming episodes going on here, one in the lower middle stratosphere centred over Canada and a second more focussed in the upper stratosphere.

The lower / middle warming continues to be evident within 10 days and reaches peak insentity around the end of the Year. The second is manifested with a really strong uptick in temperatures in the upper stratosphere (check out 1 hpa values). This one doesn't get going until New Year.

If the 12z GFS is to be believed, which was characterised by a succession of deep upper lows (not all going east to west !!), we have a series of further wave 1 episodes down the line, and all also that toxic combination of a Euro / Russian ridge - Aleutian trough around 24th December which argues for a wave 1 and wave 2 response around 13th January (as well as a possible earlier disturbance arising from tomorrow and impacting the upper vortex by 7th January). The timing of the mid January wave 1 / 2 disturbance of obvious interest if the MJO is heading into the western hemisphere at this time.

Stewart, what part do you think the MJO is going to play for us in the near term? Presume we want it out of phase 2 into 3?

Not sure of the reliability of these but Asian forecasts seems to go against Euros..

post-5114-0-02332100-1355768542_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-02332100-1355768542_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-69976100-1355768556_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-00943200-1355768566_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-42228300-1355768549_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted

Cheers for the welcome update Matt. I will also add that i've also enjoyed the contributions from Recretos.

As you say despite our recent run of cold winters these past few years Jan has been somewhat disappointing. So it would be great to see this potential in mid winter.

• Like 3

Posted

I take it that this chart is as a direct result of yesterdays massive area of high heights over the arctic on the ECMWF 12z run and will probably be toned down accordingly tommorow, still great to see though and could well be a trend as we go through the next couple of weeks.

Posted Image

The ECM Ens mean for 240-360h has a very stretched PV (at 10hPa) from northern Scandi to northern Siberia, before re-intensifying into a more focussed vortex over central Siberia. In this period the upper strat warming (evident at 10-30hPa) over Siberia remains there, rather than propogating to the pole as per the Hi-Res GFS, and actually weakens slightly in situ in terms of anomalies. In fact over the Pole itself temperatures in the Upper Strat are stable or even cool slightly, with no major warming evident here.

Meanwhile, the canadian warming mainly evident at 50-100hPa intensifies in this period, with marked height rises becoming focussed on northern Canada.

• Like 8