Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted

I don't think this one will become close to reaching the criteria for a SSW. However, could it be classified as a Canadian Warming.....?

post-4523-0-20025700-1354733684_thumb.gi

Have you got a link to somewhere which has the temperature part of the criteria. I've read a lot of conflicting ones but in journals, "significantly higher than 10c" seems to be the favored one, though that's far too vague, it could be anything from 15 to 100.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

There is a link to an old paper a good few pages back. The problem with Canadian Warmings is that they don't seem to have the clear distinction in definition that Polvani et al gave to SSW's

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

06z GFS .... best strat forecast of the winter, admittedly at the very extended range but it demonstrates the evolution of the cut off lobe which is now reliably being modelled, as is the shift of the main body towards Siberian sector.

70 hPa post-2478-0-61205700-1354793105_thumb.jppost-2478-0-33028700-1354793122_thumb.jp

30 hPa post-2478-0-79866000-1354793090_thumb.jppost-2478-0-04025900-1354793075_thumb.jp

10 hPa post-2478-0-20887100-1354793044_thumb.jppost-2478-0-90180000-1354793058_thumb.jp

A very displaced vortex and we have a full on Canadian warming forecast there, which could very conceivably shift northward into the Pole and trigger a MMW. Based on this GFS output, MMW centred late December, tropospheric feedback mid jan with a possible earlier fast response similar to what we've seen in the last 2-3 weeks.

This is the GFS we're talking about, and there has been a great deal of uncertainty in these outputs w/r/t the eastward development of the warm pool in the middle and lower stratosphere, but the building blocks being put in place around the middle timeframe are worth keeping tabs on from run to run because this could be highly signifiacnt in terms of weather ramifications in January. Judah Cohen must be pleased.

Edited by Glacier Point
  • Like 8

Posted

Have you got a link to somewhere which has the temperature part of the criteria. I've read a lot of conflicting ones but in journals, "significantly higher than 10c" seems to be the favored one, though that's far too vague, it could be anything from 15 to 100.

I posted the old paper mentioned below - definition from that source:-

2.4 Canadian Warming

The fourth type of warming, a Canadian warming is actually a hybrid; a minor

warming disguised as a major warming. At first, a Canadian warming looks like a

major warming, in which the easterly winds replace the zonal westerly flow in the

polar latitudes. However, a closer examination of this phenomenon shows that the

westerly polar night jet has not really been destroyed, as in a major warming, but

is displaced south of 60°N and, usually, relocated over southern Siberia. Canadian

warmings set up when an intense strengthening of the Aleutian High forces the high

to build into northern Canada. The warm air and easterly winds associated with the

high displace the cold polar vortex, pushing it south into Siberia, causing easterly

flow in the high latitudes (Labitzke, 1977). When the Aleutian High weakens, the

polar vortex pushes northward and the stratosphere returns to its normal winter

circulation.

http://www.dtic.mil/.../u2/a227731.pdf

Another one from Karin Labitzke.

Canadian Warmings often happen in early winter. They take place when the Aleutian stratospheric high intensifies and moves poleward. The Canadian warmings can reverse the meridional temperature gradient and sometimes briefly change the zonal wind direction over the polar cap, but nevertheless they do not lead to a breakdown of the cyclonic polar vortex.

http://www.atmosp.ph...5_Labitzke.html

I'll just add this recent paper as the forecast GP has posted looks very akin to the illustrations.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:eNxekOZyNaoJ:www-mete.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/Kyoto2012/ppts/oral/Feb22/S01_Bancala.pdf+Labitzke,+1977%29.&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjme56mDysC6MTDfyI7355TsOMFceBBHqho9LnnJcLWD_y3tlJV014ByrZgtYID5KmVCDOo_PxuVHEiaRTESGBn8GJs-0YCCEq9KKMpM2_rosPyRWgAMGQd3g8S8A2hoRgreaOo&sig=AHIEtbQfJtzaqENMkb8CWpXp6i56Ezau0w

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Cool, Atlantic blocking structure at day -15/-16 leading to increased Wave 1.

GFS reacting to this ?

post-2478-0-31674400-1354808613_thumb.jp

November meridional heat flux was also good in that respect:

post-2478-0-00987200-1354808937_thumb.jp

If so, that will be a sustained wave 1 attack in 15-20 days time given this structure is likely to be in place for a good few days - takes us to around end December for MMW displacement type.

Edited by Glacier Point
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

MMW odds now?? Before end of month or early January... Exciting stuff.

Liked the ECM for a number of reasons, then thought about this double barrel signature on the upper Vortex.

post-7292-0-51091600-1354818377_thumb.pn

Extreme FI at time range mentioned previously - The Aleutian Strikes Back from the GEFS Ens.

post-7292-0-62588500-1354828227_thumb.pn

That should do the trick! I think I am more excited by January now than the present Beasterly saga !

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Liked the ECM for a number of reasons, then thought about this double barrel signature on the upper Vortex.

What is an MMW, is it just another name for a SSW?

Posted

What is an MMW, is it just another name for a SSW?

MMW = Major Mid-winter Warming

I believe it is simply another way of describing a SSW, I stand corrected if not.

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted

Yes Major Midwinter Warming / Sudden Stratospheric Warming.

SSWs: “a major midwinter warming occurs when the zonal mean zonal winds at 60N and 10 hPa become

easterly during winter, deï¬ned here as November-March (NDJFM)†- Charlton and Polvani, J. Clim. 2007

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, lots of it.

I don't think this one will become close to reaching the criteria for a SSW. However, could it be classified as a Canadian Warming.....?

post-4523-0-20025700-1354733684_thumb.gi

Hi Chio, you made a predicition a few weeks back for a Canadian Warming to occur (just a little later than perhaps you were expecting) - a great call, well done.

The most notable year for a Canadian warming - 1962? I shouldn't have said that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, lots of it.

Extreme FI at time range mentioned previously - The Aleutian Strikes Back from the GEFS Ens.

post-7292-0-62588500-1354828227_thumb.pn

That should do the trick! I think I am more excited by January now than the present Beasterly saga !

This seems to tie in very nicely with the NW winter forecast for a prolonged cold spell from about Mid January to early Feb.

Luvely jubbly!

Posted

Thanks again for the update Matt, I have shared the thoughts on the EC32 in the Model Discussion thread, huge audience in there who will appreciate this info.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I'm no expert on the stratosphere, but the chart below suggesting a warming already taking place in the strat?

http://acdb-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/metdata/annual/merra/t60_90n_70_2012_merra.pdf

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

I'm no expert on the stratosphere, but the chart below suggesting a warming already taking place in the strat?

http://acdb-ext.gsfc..._2012_merra.pdf

Nick that post helps a lot.. it's so good to have something to compare to. I'm trying to learn the content in here but the you have to know the language.

A before/after -and/or- previous/present graphical presentation helps so much. Just got to join the remaining dots (-:

Edited by Pixel Precipitation

Posted

Yes Nick, being thrill seekers we are now searching for the next wave of warming. All fingers point to early January now and bits and pieces coming together.

Here is the temperature profile for the Northern Hemisphere of the 70hpa level where you can see this temperature change reflected.

post-7292-0-48325500-1354894540_thumb.gi

This sequence from the ECM run shows the predicted temperature and height movement for the next 10 days as the vortex goes off on it's travels across the pole. Core low heights show the Vortex position relocating from the Davis Strait to the Laptev Sea.

• Like 3

Posted

I found this 30 HPa chart interesting.

Posted Image

As well as showing the main part of the PV moving towards Siberia, it also shows a lobe of PV near Iceland, tracking quickly east. Once this lobe has cleared east, towards Scandinavia, that would open the door for height rises to the NW would it not?

Posted

I found this 30 HPa chart interesting.

Posted Image

As well as showing the main part of the PV moving towards Siberia, it also shows a lobe of PV near Iceland, tracking quickly east. Once this lobe has cleared east, towards Scandinavia, that would open the door for height rises to the NW would it not?

A shortwave will probably come into play again to prevent the cold from reaching us!

• Like 4

Posted

As Stewart wrote a couple of posts back looking at 13th onwards for the ECM for this to filter in. Been looking at this re-loacting vortex this morning and just observing random things out of interest as never really analysed what happens here.

First thing I spotted was the zonal wind profile ramping up again , perhaps in a similar manner to the increase prior to the wave 2 split..

post-7292-0-28422500-1354964437_thumb.gi

Also some evidence of continued heat flux down the line, looking at the recent Wave 2 warming, this estimation at 240 hours has increased quickly near day 0 and was under projected.

post-7292-0-23500300-1354964487_thumb.gi

This screen shot depicts the movement of the lowest Geopotential heights at 70hpa from now to day 10. A google map of the relocating vortex.

post-7292-0-56557900-1354964599_thumb.pn

Chart I liked this morning was this one at 100hpa from ECM at just 72 hrs, the vortex nearly in 3 fragments at this level, a stratospheric shortwave ! Some comedy / irony in there.

post-7292-0-69771200-1354964698_thumb.gi

Vacating vortex displaying a mind scrambling picture at just 72 hrs on the ECM run at 100hpa. The route of travel very close to the Scandi Block in respect of the discussion on model thread.

post-7292-0-79084700-1354964946_thumb.gi

Reading some of the comments about Stratosphere and impact on models etc, totally appreciate that viewpoint. Perhaps it highlights the infancy of the monitoring and many papers that examine what is happening to the Stratosphere.

One of which is this published in October 2012 by the Met Office, reading the abstract qualifies the benefits of continued examination in this area, one I will still continue to enjoy.

• Like 5