Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Recretos, I would say that the wave pattern is location specific because the deflection of tropospheric planetary waves is only going to occur in set locations.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, I understand that part. Posted Image What I meant with location specific was, like for example: wave 1 is always in one specific location and wave 2 also at a specific location. As you just said, the deflection is location or terrain specific, but the number for the specific wave is given because of the order, or sequence. Or at least that's how I now understand. And that was my main dilemma: Is the number given in respect to the wave succession, or is it given to a location specific event, just for example: wave 1 only in Asia and wave 2 only in Pacific/N America.

Edited by Recretos

Posted

Yes, I understand that part. Posted Image What I meant with location specific was, like for example: wave 1 is always in one specific location and wave 2 also at a specific location. As you just said, the deflection is location or terrain specific, but the number for the specific wave is given because of the order, or sequence. Or at least that's how I now understand. And that was my main dilemma: Is the number given in respect to the wave succession, or is it given to a location specific event, just for example: wave 1 only in Asia and wave 2 only in Pacific/N America.

This paper below shows where blocks have occured prior to the wave events that have led to SSW's. As you can see Atlantic blocks seem to favour displacements and Pacific blocks favour splits.

Look at table 1

http://www.columbia.edu/~lmp/paps/martius+polvani+davies-GRL-2009.pdf

Posted

This paper below shows where blocks have occured prior to the wave events that have led to SSW's. As you can see Atlantic blocks seem to favour displacements and Pacific blocks favour splits.

Look at table 1

http://www.columbia....es-GRL-2009.pdf

Very interesting paper. I will read the whole thing as soon as I can find enough time.

I see the table 1 yes. Basically it could be safely to say that wave 1 and 2 are with respect to Atlantic and Pacific (on a general view) and with respect to displacement and splitting, as you were pointing out with your analogy.

Thanks again for your time. I probably look really stupid with these questions. I will go through some papers and/or studies to see if I can make things even more clear for me.

Best regard.

Edited by Recretos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Excuse me if this sounds daft - and I cant see a better thread to ask the question in - but can volcanic eruptions affect the stratosphere in any way? I notice today that the previously inactive volcano Tolbachic in Kamchatka has exploded today, sending ash on day 1 33,000 ft up. I guess it may go a fair bit higher if today is only day 1.

Any impact or am I showing myself to be a total novice?

Genuine question...

EDIT: hey - guess what... the volcano erupted in both 1962/63 and 1968/69. Surely that must be a sign... :-)

Edited by Catacol_Highlander
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Excuse me if this sounds daft - and I cant see a better thread to ask the question in - but can volcanic eruptions affect the stratosphere in any way? I notice today that the previously inactive volcano Tolbachic in Kamchatka has exploded today, sending ash on day 1 33,000 ft up. I guess it may go a fair bit higher if today is only day 1.

Any impact or am I showing myself to be a total novice?

Genuine question...

If it goes high enough and ejects enough sulphur, then yes, it can have an effect. There was a paper posted a while back in the Volcanic thread here: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62309-general-volcanic-activity-thread/page__st__1420

Posted

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2001/2001_Shindell_etal_1.pdf

When this paper was compiled, the scientists had no idea that we would be looking at such an inactive sun in just a few short years.My question, on reading the details of the modelling of the processes in the troposphere and stratosphere - are we seeing evidence of what the models indicated in the current unusual patterns of disconnect between the atmospheric levels?

Posted

Chiono. Just thinking out loud...

Is it possible that wave 1 activity will actually have been be a hinderance this time around? Just thinking it must be at least part-responsible for the predicted zonal movement of the vortex pieces split up by wave 2 ? i.e. that if we JUST had wave 2 splitting the vortex that it would have been much more likely for HLB to set up over Greenland, with the western segment of the vortex dritfting out of the way across Canada?

Posted

Possibly, in the short term, s4.

Posted

Possibly, in the short term, s4.

But is wave number two about to make a reappearance?

Posted

i think S4L has a valid point and i made similar in the MDT. however, the wave 2, wave 1, wave 2 scenario will ultimately do more damage to the vortex than a simple split and reformation. we may lose out on an early dec very cold spell but the benefits down the line could be better for sustained cold.

Posted

Will the EPV Flux have much of an effect? It appears to be forecast to be going away from the pole if I'm reading it correctly, or is this usually the case?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

Is this a warming at 1hPa starting on day 9 over Spain?

http://wekuw.met.fu-...st=f240&lng=eng

Edited by FrenchScotPilot1
  • Like 1

Posted

Is this a warming at 1hPa starting on day 9 over Spain?

http://wekuw.met.fu-...st=f240&lng=eng

Yes- I was just going to mention that even though that this warming is not as strong as previously forecast on the extended GFS, it is still strong enough to cause sufficient displacement towards Iceland. Again, the position translating down to the troposphere actually translates to that MW to SE flow seen at 100hPa:

post-4523-0-45732300-1354177733_thumb.gi

It doesn't appear that this wave 1 activity will yet lead to a warming lower than the top of the strat - so I think that we may need 1 more tropospheric led blow to be GP's killer blow. There is a lot of uncertainty regarding exact vortex positioning post day 10. As I mentioned last night in the model thread there have been a few suggestions that the vortex may split or relocate to the Canadian sector - and I will be keeping a close eye on developments here to get an idea of the overall trend.

Will the EPV Flux have much of an effect? It appears to be forecast to be going away from the pole if I'm reading it correctly, or is this usually the case?

Posted Image

The ep flux in normal circumstances id directed away from the pole. In events when the EP flux is directed towards the pole we see both propagation and mid level disruption of the vortex that can lead to a SSW.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction

Very roughly, Eliassen-Paml vectors represent the amount of heat and momentum fluxes from the troposphere to penetrate the polar stratosphere.

If I remember correctly vertical vectors are synonymous of heat and any deviation from the vertical indicate momentum.

Therefore, long vertical vectors indicate a good propagation and vertical flow of heat (good wave propagation).

Please correct me if this is wrong.

• Like 4

Posted

It will be good to see this going in the opposite direction. I hope the posters' interpretation of the charts that affect stratospheric temps are right!

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/html_e/pole30_n.html

Posted

Anyone have any idea as to why the strat is so cold?

From what I gather the GFS has pockets tanking down to near -90 over the next few weeks. This is nearly off the chart. Why is it so cold, as in what causes this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Here is a well written paper, by that I mean slightly easier to digest than some of the ultra-technical works, not looked at everything here yet, heat flux is the next area figure out !!

Within this the role of Wave 1 and Wave 2 upon the Polar Vortex is examined for correlation to SSWs, very topical. Other features covered include a re-analysis of work by Charlton & Polvani (2007) on definition, among other work the paper also looks at the influence of Blocking and other pre conditioning prior to SSWs.

Here is an image re-produced in the paper, great visual representation of our - currently cannot make up my mind where I want to live in GFS FI - friend.

post-7292-0-36619900-1354213330_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

Posted Image

Well according to these E-P flux charts the flux is pointing northward.

post-10506-0-72683900-1354219565_thumb.g

Posted

Thanks for the update Matt.

Still a lot of uncertainty regarding vortex positioning around day 10 - 15.

We have a warming programmed for the top of the stratosphere from day 10 - I don't think that this will propagate too much to lower levels as it looks to fail to thoroughly break the surf zone (displaces only).

post-4523-0-77779100-1354264698_thumb.gi

My suspicions are currently that we will see a more significant warming around day 20 at the 10 hPa level. There are hints in the longer range forecasts suggesting that a warming is waiting in the wings at that timeframe ( late December).

Stewart - would that be consistent with your thoughts and have you spotted the trend at 10 hPa FI?

• Like 5