Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Harvest Moon

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Great clear skies so shoud be a view of the Harvest Moon this evening...Will be out on the patio with telescope......Moon fliter will be needed...

Posted

I don't understand this facination for naming a full moon. It's a full moon! Unless it's particularly interesting, say a lunar eclipse or either perigee or apogee then the name has no real relevance. The poets had far better names and descriptions than these awful American concoctions.

That aside, it's nice see the night sky start to take on its winter plumage with dark skies and the familiar constellations re-apearing. Any full moon is always a bonus.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I think it was named Harvest Moon because farmers before having lights on there tractors used this full moon to there advantage to harvest there crop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think it was named Harvest Moon because farmers before having lights on there tractors used this full moon to there advantage to harvest there crop.

Aye, I think you are right. It's a similar story with the Hunter's Moon too, I believe.

Posted

Ye,that's what I've always believed too... and exactly what I told the nipper a coupla hours ago as he stared in wonder.

Edited by laserguy

Posted

Yep, looked amazing when I went out last night. Unfortunately there were more than the fair share off lunatics around too..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_moon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

A cold night by time I finished viewing..Down to 5.4c..Not only Harvest Moon see but also 4 moons of jupiter...Looking forward to Octobers Hunters Moon...

• 11 months later...
Posted

Harvest Moon 2013: Ten Reasons We're Still In Love With The Moon

As Neil Young sang, "I'm still in love with you / I want to see you dance again / because I'm still in love with you / on this Harvest Moon."

Okay, he was probably singing about a lady, and not the actual Harvest Moon. But we're incorrigible skywatchers here at Weather.com, and for us there's nothing more romantic than a Harvest Moon. Sure, it happens every year, but we're still in love! But what is a Harvest Moon, exactly? And why should we be watching the skies this Wednesday and Thursday to see it? Here are ten facts you need to know, starting with the most basic:

1. The Harvest Moon is the name given to the full moon that rises closest to the autumnal equinox. This year's equinox — the official start of autumn — is September 22. 

2. Why "harvest"? As NASA's Dr. Tony Phillips explains, "In the days before electric lights, farmers depended on bright moonlight to extend the workday beyond sunset. It was the only way they could gather their ripening crops in time for market. The full moon closest to the autumnal equinox became the Harvest Moon, and it was always a welcome sight." 

3. Where can you see the Harvest Moon? Everywhere! When the moon is full, it's full for the entire planet. When exactly the moon becomes full changes slightly depending on your location. For Americans on the East Coast, the Harvest Moon will peak at 7:13 AM. But the Harvest Moon will be shining all night on Wednesday, September 18.

4. The Harvest Moon is special. Normally, the moon rises on average 50 minutes later everyday as the year moves on. But the Harvest Moon gets a jump on the calendar by rising only 30 minutes later. This slightly earlier rise is what offered more light to busy farmers.

5. But the Harvest Moon isn't that special. It will still look more or less like a typical full moon. 

6. The size of the moon in the sky is dependent on its orbit. When the moon is particularly close to Earth, a full moon will appear noticeably larger in the sky. This is what is known as a supermoon. The most recent supermoon was last June. 

7. Occasionally a Harvest Moon will also be a supermoon. This happened back in 2010, and is next expected in 2029. 

8. Are Harvest Moons the only kind of special moon? Not at all! There's the classic blue moon, but also quite a few you may not have heard of. Did you notice the Sturgeon Moon back in August? Or the Strawberry Moon in June? How about the Wolf Moon, Hunter Moon, or Beaver Moon? Before modern calendars, naming full moons was a way for people to keep track of time. 

9. How frequent are full moons? It takes 29.5 days for the moon to completely cycle from full moon to new moon and back to full. As this is every so slightly shorter than our calendar months, this is the reason there are occasionally blue moons — the term used to describe the second full moon in a month. 

10. Are there any classic, American folk rock songs about the Harvest Moon? Why yes there are! And I'm so glad you asked.

Posted Image

http://www.wunderground.com/news/10-facts-about-weeks-harvest-moon-20130917

• Like 1

Posted

It looks absolutely stunning this evening, even though it's about not at full phase until tomorrow lunchtime (11.13 GMT).

Posted

The harvest moon, as seen in the clear sky over Eastbourne last night:

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/18977-harvest-moon/

post-6667-0-78400500-1379572404_thumb.jp 

post-6667-0-49197700-1379572647_thumb.jp

It was huge as it came in during the last part of the daylight hours and settled into the evening sky as a bright white ball, lovely!
Edited by Coast
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
Posted

Took a few snaps, the atmospheric dust and pollution didn't help much but out of around 12 on the SLR I managed at least two pics of the Moon (99.1%) rising above the valley. This being the better one of this evening's attempt.

post-8763-0-30749500-1410291809_thumb.jp