Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knocker

John Bond Has Died

John Bond, who managed Manchester City in the memorable 1981 FA Cup Final against Tottenham Hotspur, has died aged 79.

Bond, who also managed Norwich City, took over at Manchester City in 1980 and led them to their Wembley meeting with Tottenham that was made famous by Ricky Villa’s slaloming run and winning goal in the final replay.

Bond spent much of his playing career as a defender for West Ham and also played for Torquay before embarking on a managerial career with Bournemouth, whom he led to promotion from the old fourth division at the end of his first season in charge.

He went on to manage Manchester City, Burnley, Swansea, Birmingham and Shrewsbury, as well as leading Norwich to the 1975 League Cup final, which they lost 1-0 to Aston Villa.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article3550048.ece

He'll be sorely missed, knocker. There's only one word I can think of that sums him up: Magic!

Very sad news , he was a great manager for Swansea in very difficult times, he managed to keep us in Division 3 with a last game home draw v Brstol City [May 85] . One moment I remember vividly was the photo of him in his car leaving the club after were we temporarily wound up in 1985, even playing our next game on Boxing Day at Cardiff was a triumph (even though we lost).

Very much an old school manager, but when football was a very different game.

May he rest in peace.

He'll be sorely missed, knocker. There's only one word I can think of that sums him up: Magic!

Agreed Pete. Great bloke and manager. Not a bad player either.

Another one of those characters that are sadly lacking in today's sport has now gone.