Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Extraordinary View Of The Universe

knocker

Posted

The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) has produced one of its most extraordinary views of the Universe to date.

Called the eXtreme Deep Field, the picture captures a mass of galaxies stretching back almost to the time when the first stars began to shine.

But this was no simple point and snap - some of the objects in this image are too distant and too faint for that.

Rather, this view required Hubble to stare at a tiny patch of sky for more than 500 hours to detect all the light.

The XDF will become an invaluable tool for astronomy. The objects embedded in it will now be followed up by other telescopes. It will keep scientists busy for years, enabling them to study the full history of galaxy formation and evolution.

_63121321_universe.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19728375

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Amazing pictures from Hubble, it realy does put us into perspective.

Posted

Fantastic image they've managed to achieve.

Is it just me or do the areas where there is more space than galaxies, give the appearance of an almost cellular structure?

Posted

Fantastic image they've managed to achieve.

Is it just me or do the areas where there is more space than galaxies, give the appearance of an almost cellular structure?

I think I see vaguely what you mean.

Posted

Hopefully i will still be around to see the first images from the new James Webb Space Telescope, which is scheduled to launch in 2018. It will be many many times more powerful !

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/about.html