Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

C/2012 S1 (ison) Could Be The Brightest Comet Ever Seen By Mankind

Polarlow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Looks like other people share your thoughts to some degree Grey-Wolf!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

How can ISON's debris be hitting the Earth, this is its first visit to the solar system and it's still beyond mars. So it's quite impossible.

I suppose you have to think about what tidal forcing/collisions brought ISON out of the ort cloud and into the solar system? Was it the only thing that was 'disturbed' or is it just big enough to be easily seen? Maybe there is a 'cloud' of debris on a similar path to the comet ( with all the mass impacted by the same gravitational forcing that puts ISON on it's course?)

I haven't given it much thought but I suppose that if a 3 mile comet is brought out of the cloud then should we expect it to have smaller companions?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
Posted · Hidden by Boro Snow, September 18, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Boro Snow, September 18, 2013 - No reason given

i liked the end of this video it shows you what the meteorite shower might look like in jan 2014 from this comet

Posted

i liked the end of this video it shows what the meteorite showers might look like in jan 2014 from this comet

• Like 2

Posted

I hope I'm not being lumped in with the first geezer Lee!!! He seems a tad confused and is lacking in basic understanding of perspective I feel!

The second chap seems a little more believable though? I'm still confused as to how NASA can tell us that we will only get micron dust when other comets leave behind debris that gives us fine meteor showers as we pass through the remnants of their tail ( many years after the comets seeded them?). This is a first time visitor! we don't even know if it will put on a show yet as we have no idea just how much ice it's carrying ( never mind the 'dirt' of the 'dirty snowball' and it's makeup?)!

This new thought of what else came along with the comet does have me interested though. Have we any experts that have a better idea of what does throw stuff out of the cloud in the first place? Is it just orbital tides ( from other stars/systems ) or is it that and ensuing collisions? 'Collisions' would suggest debris following along ( and in front and behind) of the main body?

Could this be what sparked the 'omen' business that has surrounded comets appearing in the past? Do we have a long enough cultural memory to remember times when comets have been accompanied, from time to time, with meteor showers that caused alarm/panic/damage? Could they have lead to climate impacts that lead to plague/famine for a period after the comet ( due to dust impacts on solar inputs?)?

We'll know a lot more as the months roll by and we see how the comet starts to perform!

• Like 3

Posted

I hope I'm not being lumped in with the first geezer Lee!!! He seems a tad confused and is lacking in basic understanding of perspective I feel!

The second chap seems a little more believable though? I'm still confused as to how NASA can tell us that we will only get micron dust when other comets leave behind debris that gives us fine meteor showers as we pass through the remnants of their tail ( many years after the comets seeded them?). This is a first time visitor! we don't even know if it will put on a show yet as we have no idea just how much ice it's carrying ( never mind the 'dirt' of the 'dirty snowball' and it's makeup?)!

This new thought of what else came along with the comet does have me interested though. Have we any experts that have a better idea of what does throw stuff out of the cloud in the first place? Is it just orbital tides ( from other stars/systems ) or is it that and ensuing collisions? 'Collisions' would suggest debris following along ( and in front and behind) of the main body?

Could this be what sparked the 'omen' business that has surrounded comets appearing in the past? Do we have a long enough cultural memory to remember times when comets have been accompanied, from time to time, with meteor showers that caused alarm/panic/damage? Could they have lead to climate impacts that lead to plague/famine for a period after the comet ( due to dust impacts on solar inputs?)?

We'll know a lot more as the months roll by and we see how the comet starts to perform!

i no everything is up in the air, i dont think anybody can be sure whats gunna happen, because it is a first time visitor to our solar system is it even gunna make it through perihelion, my understanding of the tale is they should be nothing but gas and dust but nobodys knows what this 3mile wide comet pushed out of orbit when passing through the asteroid belt and what direction they where pushed, 

Hopefully everything is gunna happen as its predicted too and its one i can share with my young children Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

http://earthsky.org/space/big-sun-diving-comet-ison-might-be-spectacular-in-2013#recovery

This seems a nice 'balanced' view of how things seem to date.

Another reminder for me to not get my hopes up with 'first impressions' methinks?

Posted

Hi W-H !

I'm also now just hoping for a 'naked eye' comet......sad really as the last time we had a decent winter comet , in 97'? (Hale Bop?), I thought it was ace so I wished for something similar, or better, for son No. 1 to witness!

Still , we could have the bonus of a meteor shower in early Jan as well? If it's less 'water icey' and more rubble then as it melts it could leave a good debris field for us to plunge through come Jan 12th ( and week following)?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter.

i am looking forward to the meteor shower should it happen as there will be different elements in the tail and should give us some colour full displays

Posted

Hi W-H ! I'm also now just hoping for a 'naked eye' comet......sad really as the last time we had a decent winter comet , in 97'? (Hale Bop?), I thought it was ace so I wished for something similar, or better, for son No. 1 to witness! Still , we could have the bonus of a meteor shower in early Jan as well? If it's less 'water icey' and more rubble then as it melts it could leave a good debris field for us to plunge through come Jan 12th ( and week following)?

Comet McNaught, 10 years later in 2007. Saw that just once in the January twilight.I hope I do see it.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

COMET ISON IN MOTION: Comet ISON is falling toward the sun for a close encounter on Thanksgiving Day 2013. If it survives, it could become one of the finest comets in years. At the moment ISON is still far away and faint, but its sunward velocity is impressive--more than 72,000 mph on Sept. 22nd.

Posted Image

Alberto Quijano Vodniza of Pasto, Narino, Colombia, obtained the 35-minute video on Sept 22nd. "The motion of the comet was clearly visible," he says. "I used a 14-inch Celestron telescope and a STL-1001E SBIG camera."

Comet ISON is now approaching Mars in the eastern sky before sunrise. On Oct. 1st it will fly past the Red Planet at a distance on only 0.07 AU. Mars satellites and rovers are in position to snap the first close-up pictures of the comet. Until then, browse the Comet ISON Photo Gallery where pictures from Earth are already pouring in.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

• Like 2

Posted

Amazing enhanced image from the hubble of ison 

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

• Like 2

Posted

http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/comet_ison/

wow i didnt realize how close the comet comes to earth

and below photos from sept 24th of ison

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Lee aka Boro Snow

Posted

A little interesting fact for you at the moment it takes 19.54 mins for the reflected light to reach us from ison

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter.

A little interesting fact for you at the moment it takes 19.54 mins for the reflected light to reach us from ison

geting shorter every day

Posted

Not a lot of chatter about the Mars encounter???

I'd have thought we'd at least have confirmation of the equipment's ability to look at it's passing???

4 Days away?

• Like 1

Posted

I doubt that any of the instruments on the rovers are capable of either pointing in the right direction or geared up to looking for a fuzzy blob in the sky.

Edit:  PM's post below shows how wrong I can be!

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

COMET ISON APPROACHES MARS: In two months, Comet ISON will make a spectacular flyby of the sun. First, though, it has to fly by Mars. The sungrazing comet is approaching the Red Planet for a 0.07 AU close encounter on October 1st. http://www.spaceweather.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uJFvkJzBVA

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1