Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Child Of Nadine (karin) - Severe Weather Discussion - Day 2 To 6

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Your to far south for the strongest winds the strong winds are further north

That's slightly incorrect. The winds are feature up there, but not as much as the south east.

It's extremely windy where i am EML, gusting to 60mph at Portland, expect the winds to increase where you are in the next hour or two.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A few questions about the direction of the system. Get on the NW Extra NMM charts and animate them, brilliant display of the bands of rain, the temps at the core of the system, the vertical velocity and wind speed.

Not forgetting the Matisse print that is the accumulative rainfall !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I've never seen it flood like this where I live in my life. Torrential rain was falling throughout the early hours and on my way to work around 7am this morning. People can't drive through the huge deep 'puddles' at the bottom of the hill to get onto the main road. Some of the streams running through the town have just completely burst.

Surrounding country lanes - most were cut off and people unable to get their cars moving through. Particulary bad areas according to family members are Oldbury, where the flood plains are, and also heading towards Berkeley where the roads are surrounded by drainage ditches from the fields. Villages going down the Severn Vale such as Lower Almondsbury and Aust also affected by the vast amounts of water moving down the hilly roads and where drainage ditches are.

The A38 main road heading towards Bristol was flooded at various sections, including parts of the Almondsbury Interchange motorway junction where the drains couldn't cope. I was crawling at no more than 10mph all the way for 8 miles.

I couldn't get any pictures unfortunately as I was driving and as the sun is finally coming out, it gives the water some chance of subsiding this afternoon. If there's anything I can take pictures of after work that shows how bad it's been, I'll try take a few.

To show how much has fallen over such a short space of time, Saturday evening we had only had 3mm or so of rainfall in September in total so far- we now stand at 95.4mm.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Your to far south for the strongest winds the strong winds are further north

The south east corner is covered by a Netweather alert and a Meto amber warning for the wind strength, gusts up to 70mph.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alerts;reg=3;sess=

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Nice dry day round here now.

60mm . hahaha yeah right.

Might get the BBQ out now.

Posted

Id say that the forecast for a specific area is good but it can't keep up with this today its so far out, especially when it comes to wind. Had no wind measurable so far here it'll get windy but not yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Looking at the accumulations, it seems you've been one of the unlucky ones where 10 or 15 miles to your West, they've managed 25mm and up to 70mm. Nothing worse than always finding the gap .. :(

Don't dispair, as the fronts wrap around in the next 24/36hrs, you'll get some more.

Id say that the forecast for a specific area is good but it can't keep up with this today its so far out, especially when it comes to wind. Had no wind measurable so far here it'll get windy but not yet.

There has been no wind at all of note from this system as of yet, I have no idea if and when its going to arrive either I'm out of my depth! lol

Posted

BBC N24 forecast just been on. For some areas of the N of England the rain will persist all day tomorrow, only letting up late tomorrow night. The forecast showed the centre of the low sitting over the Irish sea, as a result the rain in the middle over N/NW England doesn't move - only really moving late tomorrow as the centre of the low moves back to the S/SW.

If you do get some wind from this, see how long you can stand on billinge hill for! Also be nice to see what happens to carr mill. Hoping it picks up soon mind!

Haha! I won't be venturing anywhere tonight, if this rain persists and as forecast intensifies and even if we only get gusts of 50mph tonight its going to be a stormy night. Quite a serious situation unfolding here I feel. I think the Met Office may issue a Red warning for parts of our region tonight.

Posted

I find that astonishing - just shows how unpredictable the weather can be. Chris K can't be too far away from your location, and is practically underwater by the sounds of things.

Bish

Posted

Possible for your area alot of dips and hills which are great for accumulation, back road to skem won't be nice even right now. I'm right next to the canal at home and my drain outside is blocked! Rain still heavy here definately not torrential, just no chance of it dropping until tommorrow night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

RT @ArrivaTW: We advise passengers not to travel to/from #Shrewsbury station. All tickets that are not used today will be honoured tomorrow.

Some evidence of the problems around here from the flooding...

Posted

here in hyde park, leeds, our basement has begun to flood..low lying water has bubbled up from underneath the floor and is rising slowly...the rain radar doesn't make for pretty reading...not what a student needs at the beginning of the year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Persistent heavy rain is lashing down here, I wonder how long it's going to rain for!

post-9615-0-52449700-1348492599_thumb.pn Latest satellite

post-9615-0-21385300-1348492615_thumb.gi Latest surface analysis, Karin is still to deepen some 10mb+

post-9615-0-15626300-1348492833_thumb.pn Latest radar

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The roads & railways are a nightmare around the Bristol area today. Various flooding issues all across my area.

Brightening up now, the wind nothing more than a stuff breeze here!

Posted

The rain has finally stopped here, for the time being anyway. 38.00mm today equals 52.75mm overall since midday yesterday -pretty impressive.

Getting noticably gustier now.

Bish