Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Child Of Nadine (karin) - Severe Weather Discussion - Day 2 To 6

Coast

Posted

Has the foam been posted yet? Amazing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...etland-19716141

Couldn't believe it when I saw those pictures. Easterly gales were far more common in the past and I have seen lots of old photos of massive waves crashing over the harbour but never anything like that Posted Image

A pity it hadn't happened yesterday when it was a local holiday as I could have gone down to take photos myself!

Aside from the foam, conditions were not all that unusual. Peak gust I recorded was 47mph which was exceeded several times last year and rain has totalled 24mm for the last 24 hours. Rate reached 103.8mm/hr in showers during the afternoon though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well rivers in Carlisle have stood there ground and I think they have peaked, the rain has also stopped for nearly 2 hours

I'm afraid things are looking very grim this evening as that band of rain to the east comes across the region over the next few hours. River levels will rise again significantly tonight. Lots of rain pouring onto the catchment areas...

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I'm afraid things are looking very grim this evening as that band of rain to the east comes across the region over the next few hours. River levels will rise again significantly tonight. Lots of rain pouring onto the catchment areas...

How much is forecast

Posted

Floodplains along the river Goyt getting perilously close (if not already) flooded when I was out taking a walk this afternoon, reservoir conduits also in near flood and the usual standing water on the A6 around Furness Vale. There's a delay locally given saturated rainwater usually takes a day or two to run-off the moors so even late on Thurs things will only slowly start to show signs of improvement.

Didn't get chance to head up to Hayfield to see how the Kinder Downfall would be looking, but no doubt it'd be quite a sight.

Posted

Very serious rainfall event over Northern England this afternoon and still it continues falling, The band is expanding and pivoting back towards the NW - rivers are running at the brim and won't be able to cope if that back of rain moves over the region. The models were on the money yesterday showing rainfall totals up to and over 100mm. Worrying times...

Unlikely the situation will ease much this evening to give any respite to those badly affected - Stay safe everyone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19710183 - Latest BBC news from the Nort East.

Looks pretty breezy on the coast around Lancs? cheers

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

River calder Near Burnley at bursting point

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Been wet all day. Really bucketing down for the last 3 hours.

I suspect we shall break the September max wet record by tomorrow morning.

A few minutes ago there was an an eerie yellow grey glow -- then turned purple. Suppose there must be a sunset there somewhere above the clouds

Perhaps tomorrow we shall see the sun. Last seen last Saturday

Posted

We're starting to move toward the end game of child of Nadine now, but there's still a fair bit more rain to come, as shown on the 36 hour rain total forecast:

post-2-0-40935000-1348597324_thumb.png

This animation shows how the rain begins to clear from the north overnight with the rain tomorrow further south, chiefly across Wales, central and southern England. By Thursday the majority of the rain clears to leave the whole UK with a bit of respite, and although there will be an Atlantic front approaching for Friday it's certainly not going to be anywhere near as significant as the rain we've seen so far this week.

• Like 1

Posted

Couldn't believe it when I saw those pictures. Easterly gales were far more common in the past and I have seen lots of old photos of massive waves crashing over the harbour but never anything like that Posted Image

A pity it hadn't happened yesterday when it was a local holiday as I could have gone down to take photos myself!

Aside from the foam, conditions were not all that unusual. Peak gust I recorded was 47mph which was exceeded several times last year and rain has totalled 24mm for the last 24 hours. Rate reached 103.8mm/hr in showers during the afternoon though.

Sea foam on the Lancs coast north of Blackpool (Cleveleys) in gales last December.

Is it sewage or washing powder to blame?

Enjoy this anyway ....

• Like 2

Posted

River calder Near Burnley at bursting point

An anxious night ahead for many people - 79 flood warnings and 142 flood alerts still in force http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Wind getting right up now and the rain is back after less heavy rain today here in leyland, lancashire.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest NAE suggesting a little more rain to come still across the same areas as today, cheifly the north & west.

post-12721-0-14767000-1348599135_thumb.g

Posted

Wind getting right up now and the rain is back after less heavy rain today here in leyland, lancashire.

We got a false sense of security earlier, with the less heavy rain I thought the worst was over here too, Chiffer !

Although it looks clear on the radar to the NW out in the Irish Sea, where the low is centred, it's dragging the heavy rain into the Cheshire Gap !!!

Posted

Banging it down here now..anybody would think it was Glastonbury

Getting worse than it has been here finally become windy and rains getting worse. Northwest could be in alot of trouble.

the NORTHWEST is always in alot of trouble lol