Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Child Of Nadine (karin) - Severe Weather Discussion - Day 2 To 6

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Storms

Bet it's blowy on the Marsh this evening? The wind has really gotten up in the last hour...nice cell out in the Channel headed this way too!

Yes, it is blowy, those showers need to come inland just slightly especially as i live right in the middle of sheep territory, however i just got soaked by a shower off of littlestone, very windy now as another shower heads in, strangely the lower clouds are going south easterly and the higher shower clouds are tracking north easterly

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Down in Kent last night and could hear some thunder growling through the torrential rain late evening. First thunder for a long-while.

As the low deepens over the NW tomorrow then slides SW again, winds gusts of 60-70mph across Scotland in the morning, then transfering across Ireland. Further south, surface to mid-level winds across the S England and E Anglia look to back towards the SSW to eventually S'erly which will not only bring the showers over the English Channel further inland but will also increase low-level shear, so there is scope for any storms to develop some rotation perhaps - tomorrow afternoon across SE England especially.

More storm potential on Wednesday - particularly across the SW then across the SE on Thursday. Winds easing by then though.

• Like 3

Posted

Who wants to be captain? Posted Image

Going to be some rough sea conditions with those easterly gales.not

sure the boat can take it!

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 1

Posted

Just been looking at the NMM rainfall accumulation (forecast) and by this time tomorrow evening 60-70mm across a swathe of northern England and the Irish Sea : Posted ImagePosted Image

post-1052-0-59374800-1348521587_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Rain has stopped here now and the band is running parallel to us just to the north. If you look at the NW radar you can see this and you can see some very light showers over W Yorks that are moving East whilst a few miles to the north the main band is travelling West. This is the wind shear that I think Nick F was talking about earlier. It really is pronounced. It also varies with height I reckon as here the wind is now westerly but the rain band, less than ten miles North, is an easterly: I am sure that higher up here it is still easterly and the wind direction changed earlier 180 degrees in half an hour from an easterly to a westerly.

Really interesting weather I must say...

Posted

The system has stalledpivoted over Leeds. Its been raining none stop since yesterday , currently all trains from Leeds are either cancelled, replaced by a bus service, or delayed due to flooding.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/sabcd1f7db1642aa9aa1ffaf0dffb27d/details.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

it has finally stopped, or is very very fine now. Crazy amounts of rainfall, 46mm here since 12am, one of the biggest totals in one day I've ever recorded

And here is Leeds city centre where the river as burst its banks (for the millionth time this year)

Posted Image

Posted

That is one huge area of rain on the latest radar,also some potent looking

showers near the south coast with the odd s.feric.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Yup can confirm we've been having sharp showers on and off throughout the evening down here on the South Coast, but No Thunder or Lightning , total rainfall since Sunday Morning sits at 37 mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

That is one huge area of rain on the latest radar,also some potent looking

showers near the south coast with the odd s.feric.

Clear channel streamer shown there. Been having some torrential downpours this evening, on & off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

thought this might things in a little perspective

UK rainfall records for consecutive rainfall days (0900-0900 GMT) Highest 2-day total 395.6 mm 18 to 19 November 2009 Seathwaite (Cumbria) Highest 3-day total 456.4 mm 17 to 19 November 2009 Seathwaite (Cumbria) Highest 4-day total 495.0 mm 16 to 19 November 2009 Seathwaite (Cumbria)

Edited by EML Network

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No further rain overnight but winds increasing but nothing of note.

Posted

A couple of photos from this morning, looking out of my front window..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Watched this develop in about 5 minutes, its looking SSW from my front window, 'Karin' is behind me and to my right, and the front is almost exactly above me. The sunrise is to my left, which is why this has developed like it.. Just a shame I couldn't get my camera out in time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very wet overnight and it's still raining heavy - a couple of torrential bursts over the last 30 minutes. Got water running down my drive from the back lawn which looks like a new pond. Moderate northerly wind here, surprised the wind isn't more of a feature over the north & east as the depression tracked westwards, not really seeing the strength that was predicted.

Just listening to the local radio speaking with the Environment Agency about new flood warnings that'll likely be issued this morning. 50-70mm of rain has fallen over parts of Cumbria in the last 24 hours.

post-9615-0-64185900-1348554241_thumb.gi Karin is currently centred around Newcastle with central pressure of 978mb

post-9615-0-34879800-1348554454_thumb.pn Latest satellite

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Significant rainfall overnight in places and a lot in my part of the World with over an inch already in this 24 hours period. Looks like a more to come today and mainly in Northern areas:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Currently 57 flood warnings and 165 alerts. I hope everyone avoids floods with loss of property or worse.

http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx

Posted

Its still raining, none stop rain since Sunday evening.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning everyone,

just took me an hr too get home this morning , usually takes 20mins, yesterday i recorded 33 mm rain today so far 28mm already this morning, thats a whopping 61mm in 24hrs, its been none stop for the last 24hrs, pressure reading now down to 974.8hpa

roads flooded, anyone round Newcastle Grandstand road is completely closed, by the Blue house roundabout,

STAY SAFE

Edited by stormchaser1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The wind has gone very light here in Darlington but the rain continues to fall heavily a number of flooding issues in the area this morning including the A1 been closed at Catterick

Posted

Still no rain here in Perthshire but the winds have been pretty impressive. I live on the edge of some woods and much to my amazement there has been no damage at all. I suspect it has been gusting in excess of 70mph yet there are no branches in the garden and no trees down.

I believe that we are still looking at gusts in excess of 70mph for the next couple of hours and they are still forecasting heavy rain.

It will be interesting to see the official figures for this area once things calm down. Roads are all passable with nobody in the village reporting any problems at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at the radar this morning it seems the rain is moving away from the north east now it seem to be moving in a North East to South west direction

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun