Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Child Of Nadine (Karin) - Severe Weather Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Latest fax charts not painting a good picture - Best start building an ark!! Severe easterly gales on the lows northern flank.

post-9615-0-14934900-1348342261_thumb.gi Atrocious conditions through central/northern UK on this chart.

Off-topic I know. But - if this were mid-January?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Off-topic I know. But - if this were mid-January?

Simliar conditions, maybe slightly cooler - This system is of tropical origins so unless we had a frigid airmass in place then it's just be wet wet wet. Were you thinking epic snow and blizzards? smile.png

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Simliar conditions, maybe slightly cooler - This system is of tropical origins so unless we had a frigid airmass in place then it's just be wet wet wet. Were you thinking epic snow and blizzards? smile.png

Maybe if it bumped into some colder air there would be blizzards up on the highlands.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

I was once told by the late Paul Bartlett that there was also in issue with missing data, which in turn didn't help the models get a true grasp on things. Is this correct?

It did not feature in any discussions I heard nor in the final report if my memory is correct. I've lost the link I once had to the actual report the Met O issued but I suppose if you search on the Met O site it would be found eventually?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The bbc weather forecasts at the Moment are rubbish lol, not much detail at all. The rain does not seem to heavy apart from the south west and Wales for a time? Then lighter to mod stuff

Rubbish for your location or rubbish in general?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Worth mentioning that every model will likely show a different scenario and if one shows a less deeper low then it doesn't suddenly mean that the general theme is for it to be downgraded.

Posted

In general at the moment for this event

I've never been a fan of TV forecasts, I expect a more comprehensive forecast will go live once confidence grows even further. As per the BBC weather video posted on the last page ''we are now less uncertain and more confident''

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I've never been a fan of TV forecasts, I expect a more comprehensive forecast will go live once confidence grows even further. As per the BBC weather video posted on the last page ''we are now less uncertain and more confident''

I would have to agree.

Just checked latest BBC forecast which only mentions wind gusts of 50mph on coasts. Going by models it is likely to be higher then this, more like 60mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

UKMO suggests the heaviest rain could be on Tuesday in the north of the UK, lasting a good 24 hours too, only very slowly receeding west:

post-12721-0-39398000-1348348101_thumb.gpost-12721-0-96658700-1348348125_thumb.gpost-12721-0-60243100-1348348133_thumb.g

Very heavy rain across the central lowlands.

post-12721-0-68247900-1348348147_thumb.gpost-12721-0-03901700-1348348164_thumb.g

Posted

Instead of child of Nadine, why not kicked-out lover of Nadine, that would make this a bit more tabloid-friendly.

I agree that rainfall potential is moderate more than heavy. The biggest rainfall potential is probably in Ulster and adjacent parts of the Irish Republic (bearing in mind that Donegal and two other counties of the ROI are part of Ulster). Local rainfalls of 40-60 mm appear possible around Belfast extending WSW into Fermanagh and then 20-40 mm amounts in west central Ireland. That would be mainly on Monday night into Tuesday morning. Parts of Wales could see 30-60 mm but otherwise I feel that 15-30 mm will be a fairly common outcome for the UK. Flood potential is probably greatest for Severn valley western tribs.

The winds should ramp up rather steadily on Monday night across northeast England and eastern Scotland as the low deepens and draws in 40-60 mph winds from the ENE. Peak gusts should occur where channelling allows local max gusts to develop, and bear in mind that stronger winds will occur during rapid deepening phase than after the low becomes steady-state.

This is probably going to draw a fair amount of let-down and damp squib comments so don't be too shocked if it under-performs, the dynamics are not as strong as the isobars alone might suggest. At the same time, a few places possibly around Wiltshire will do pretty well for thunder and hail from local convection in a moist unstable SW flow on Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Poor Birmingham are set to get the worst of it because they are forecast to move up the M6 on Monday..

8ygj0m.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Partly correct

I was part of the team given the task of trying to find out why Met got it wrong in the end (only by about 80 miles!) when for the previous 3 days the Met O model was spot on but the last 24 hours the French model (not sure if they have one now) got it correct.

So it's YOU I have to thank for being without power for 6 weeks and without water for the first two… you can go off people diablo.gifrolleyes.gif

Posted

Poor Birmingham are set to get the worst of it because they are forecast to move up the M6 on Monday..

8ygj0m.jpg

Must be some serious up drafts associated with this system! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Must be some serious up drafts associated with this system! rofl.gif

That's a howler of a mistake! fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest NAE has stepped back a bit on the totals compared to its 12z run, but the rainfall looks a little more widepsread into eastern England on this run, plus there is a hell of a lot coming up from the SW still

post-12721-0-43052300-1348349451_thumb.g

Posted

Mon 24 Sep BST

Wind Avg.   Gust Temp. Rain Weather Cloud Visibility Pressure

01:00

ENE 15 mph to 37 mph 9 C 3.8 mm

100% 6900 m 998 mb

04:00

E 15 mph to 37 mph 10 C 5 mm

100% 6200 m 993 mb

07:00

E 14 mph to 35 mph 10 C 4.5 mm

100% 4600 m 989 mb

10:00

E 12 mph to 29 mph 12 C 2.7 mm

100% 6300 m 986 mb

13:00

SSW 1 mph to 9 mph 12 C 7.4 mm

100% 6700 m 984 mb

16:00

WSW 13 mph to 24 mph 12 C 12.4 mm

100% 8300 m 982 mb

19:00

SW 17 mph to 31 mph 11 C 0.5 mm

100% 9600 m 982 mb

22:00

SSW 14 mph to 30 mph 9 C 0 mm

90% 14900 m 983 mb

Tue 25 Sep BST

Posted
at 1300 the wind goes very light will that be a fault or the eye of the storm ?

Mon 24 Sep BST

Wind Avg.   Gust Temp. Rain Weather Cloud Visibility Pressure

01:00

ENE 15 mph to 37 mph 9 C 3.8 mm

100% 6900 m 998 mb

04:00

E 15 mph to 37 mph 10 C 5 mm

100% 6200 m 993 mb

07:00

E 14 mph to 35 mph 10 C 4.5 mm

100% 4600 m 989 mb

10:00

E 12 mph to 29 mph 12 C 2.7 mm

100% 6300 m 986 mb

13:00

SSW 1 mph to 9 mph 12 C 7.4 mm

100% 6700 m 984 mb

16:00

WSW 13 mph to 24 mph 12 C 12.4 mm

100% 8300 m 982 mb

19:00

SW 17 mph to 31 mph 11 C 0.5 mm

100% 9600 m 982 mb

22:00

SSW 14 mph to 30 mph 9 C 0 mm

90% 14900 m 983 mb

Tue 25 Sep BST

Posted

Watching this system over the next few hours and days is best done using Buoy reports

Station 62163 - Brittany Buoy reporting winds 27 knts and pressure falling

Watching these buoys in South west approaches will give the best idea of what is happening, especially later when the Jet stream comes in to the equation.

Link to ship and Buoy reports

Posted

Nadine herself is off to Africa amongst other places:

023818.gif