Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Child Of Nadine (Karin) - Severe Weather Discussion

Paul

Posted

Thought I'd open up a new thread to discuss the potential severe weather as the 'Child of Nadine' moves in toward the UK.

Animation of the storm track/rainfall as of this morning;

Latest front page update regarding the storm

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=1235;sess=

Could be a really bumpy few days...

Posted

I'm sure they'll be updating as and when - it's still quite uncertain as to how everything will pan out.

Latest 36 hour rain totals show the initial burst of rain coming into the south of the country - with plenty to follow in behind beyond the 36 hour point as it all heads north...

post-2-0-73294100-1348310634_thumb.png

Posted

I still can't work out how they came up with the backwards C shaped warning they seem to have in force now.

Edited by Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Thought I'd open up a new thread to discuss the potential severe weather as the 'Child of Nadine' moves in toward the UK.

Animation of the storm track/rainfall as of this morning;

Latest front page update regarding the storm

http://www.netweathe...ryid=1235;sess=

Could be a really bumpy few days...

This is certainly a different track to what was shown yesterday, it's tracked a lot further west.

I can't check right now, but do we have any agreement to whether that animation will be the final outcome of this system, or is it still to be decided at this short range?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An amber alert has now been issued for South West England on Sunday and Monday

Everywhere except Orkney & Shetland and Highlands & Eilean Siar have a weather warning now for Monday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Some may be wondering why child of Nadine intensifies during Monday.

She enters Sunday as around a 996mb depression and then intensifies during Monday to sit over the centre of the country by Tues morning at around 976mb. Surely extra tropical depressions should lose intensity as they cross colder waters?

The easy answer is to say that she joins forces with the existing depression to the NW - but it is a little bit more complex than that.

To show why we need to look at the jet stream.

On the following chart I have indicated the left exit zone of a jet streak in the jet stream.

post-4523-0-79216000-1348312227_thumb.pn

The child of Nadine reaching this area at the right time is critical to further development. The jet streak is the area where the fast jet stream winds are diverging - creating a lower pressure upper air anomaly that has to be filled from somewhere. The answer is that lower level winds rush in and up to fill that void - intensifying the surface depression. And with these lower winds holding a lot of warmth and moisture due to the original Nadine's source, then the result is an awful lot of rain as Paul has highlighted above.

The GFS has the depression bottoming out at around 976 - with the UKMO and ECM less intense.

post-4523-0-35757200-1348312561_thumb.pn

However, it is the warmth and moisture content that are of most concern with this system. If it engages the jet stream for longer then the amount of moist air pulled in will lead to some very high rainfall totals.

It is also worth putting in the dew points and 850 temps. These show the warm moist airmass to our south that rises, cools and condenses as it travels across the country.

post-4523-0-10364400-1348313930_thumb.pn

post-4523-0-96919900-1348313908_thumb.pn

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Blimey, GFS is showing a lot of rain over the next few days

120-777_mvl6.GIF

Floods if that's right probably.

I'm surprised Wales doesn't have an amber alert really, although I guess they need a bit more time to firm up on how this system is going to track and just how much rain heads in...plus what happens in the following days after..

Edited by Chris K

Posted

THE ONLY TIME I PRAY FOR DECENT WEATHER THIS HAPPENS. IM GOIN TO STAY IN A CARAVN IN NORTH WALES MON TO FRI ...... U MAY SEE ME ON THE TELLY GETTING RESCUED BY THE COASTGUARD YIPEEEEEEE! NOT

not looking forward to drive down either bad.gif

Posted

SatRep latest, batton down the hatches and get your wellies ready!

LOC_20120922_0900.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Impressive satellite image of Nadine's offspring developing to the west of Iberia. Nice vortex spinning with dry air being sucked in behind the cold front and embedded thunderstorms. Looking forward to the 12z suite thats for sure... biggrin.png

post-9615-0-04097000-1348324278_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-21371800-1348324353_thumb.pn