Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mike Meehan

Should I Really Join Facebook?

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter. I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, 13 grand kids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

That was before one of my grandkids hooked me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting World.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Mitre 10 talking to my wife and everyone was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead. Well, it was not a good relationship..

When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look. I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do fart a lot."

The TV remote and the garage door remote are about all I can handle.

I don't blame you, Mike...I'm getting fed-up having to delete 'Friend Request' from folks I've never set eyes upon!

What's the point of having 500 complete strangers referring to themselves as 'friends'? It kinda beats me...

Yep, I wish I could find some time in between responding to incessant electronic demands on my time to enjoy the 'easier life' all these labour saving convenience gadgets are supposed to be affording me....................

I got so damned fed up with with the ludicrous affected accents on my sat nav that I changed it over to French - male, female, Australian, American they wre all the same - why couldn't they just speak normally?

At 38, I have never had a Facebook or Twitter account. Seems like a nuisance irrelevance. Seems in many instances, but not all of course, as a presentation of how someone wants to be perceived rather than a show of true self. My god my narcisstic brother is a classic example.

Then again, I had a distant relative who was part of the luddite movement in England during the start of the industrial revolution, and was sent to Australia as a convict for destroying machinery which he probably believed was replacing a way of life and set of values that were detrimental to mankind . Perhaps i got the genes.

I've had profiles on/off over the past few years but tbh once the fad goes away it's really nothing more than a place to 'snoop' around on. Deleted my 3rd profile some 9 months ago after getting grief from not only strangers but those who have bigger ego's than the Goodyear Blimp.

Now i'm facebook free again and it's been fantastic not worrying about trivial things such as telling the whole world i'm off to the pub, or a post-tropical storm is coming only to get the usual smug replies.

Just use it to see what daughter is doing in Coventry and son in essex...Dont post much on it but ther if need. it....

I use Facebook a lot, helps keep me in touch with my school and university friends. I have it so only Friends of Friends can add me, gets rid of 99.9% of those random friend requests.

I use Twitter but I'm not signed up to it. It is pretty much for celebrities (A to D grade celebs) and attention-seeking teenage girls who incessantly harass tweet those people. I use it a few times a week just to see what some of those celebs are up to.

The only thing I use my mobile phone for is calling/texting, though when I'm out of the house occasionally weather radar/obs and Facebook as well (depending on the weather / what I'm doing).

Don't use a GPS. I study the area that I'm going to on a map before leaving, and I take a street directory when I'm in larger cities like Newcastle and Sydney (Btw, I don't use the street directory while driving, lol!).

I have a facebook account with an alias but I'm not on twitter, I use it for news mostly.

Twitter & Facebook would explain why the streets are so full of imbeciles (too busy sending/receiving inane messages) who never seem to have enough time to look where they are going?

I had Facebook.. but there is too much drama in my family so I refuse to partake in it. I just find it useless and boring. I use twitter occasionally to see updates from the West Yorkshire Police Helicopter and to see what is trending (such as the meteor/space junk incident).

I had Facebook.. but there is too much drama in my family so I refuse to partake in it. I just find it useless and boring. I use twitter occasionally to see updates from the West Yorkshire Police Helicopter and to see what is trending (such as the meteor/space junk incident).

I do have a Twitter account, so as I can keep up with LBC. I've had if for two days' and I've already forgotten my password!

Twitter & Facebook would explain why the streets are so full of imbeciles (too busy sending/receiving inane messages) who never seem to have enough time to look where they are going?

Indeed! I really have to be aware of my surroundings when I am walking around college with a hot drink and or one of our expensive cameras due to the insane amount of people (mostly females) who walk around typing away in to their phones all the time instead of looking where they are going, considering there is also a huge construction site in the middle of the place I'm surprised there hasn't been a horrible accident yet.

Hopefully manufacturers will soon start taking this in to account and build protection in to their devices which prevents use of the keyboard if it detects that the user is moving on foot.

Never bothered with facebook but I love Twitter. I never tweet but find it an excellent source of reliable info....I get all my weather, tech and footy info all in one place without having to go to different websites

as an ex computer guy, all i can say is, stay away from the lot of them. if yuo need to contact someone, call them, simple as that. in my experience, those that use theese sites very regurly are attention seekers, nothing more than that. keep your freedom as its slowly being eroded day by day by technology..

Got friends all over the place and FB is a good way to have some interaction, keep in touch, remember birthdays and things, especially as i'm 250 miles away from a great many of my friends but if i could be bothered i'd love to remove the 100 odd friends i can't even remember.

To the OP, i'd turn the notifications off. The only notifications I have on my phone are silent email, phone and SMS otherwise i'd be a walking beep.. beep..beep..beep..beep -... . . .--. / -... . . .--. / -... . . .--.

I much prefer twitter over Facebook

All some of my 'friends' seem to talk about on FB is how much booze they can put away in a weekend. Or they are posting other rubbish from other sites which ends up on my wall.

I briefly joined it but never did anything with it, looked again after a year or so and I had various 'friends' and posts saying I was attending this that and the other?!

(Is that normal?)

Anyway I deleted everything to do with it.

I do use twitter on and off, this has real practical uses not least a quick way to upload the odd pic or video almost instantaneously - but often you can pick up useful tips even daft stuff like temporary local road closures get mentioned.

Luckily I can't rejoin anyway even if I wanted to as my email is now 'blocked' after submitting a deletion request many months ago. Farcebook is mostly aimed for the egotistical types who want constant approval of themselves via adding not only 400 people they don't know but expecting those 400 people to stroke their masochistic ego.

There's twitter for keeping up to date with breaking news and events, can't say i've missed Farcebook being cut off from it 4 months ago anymore than I did 26 years before it's creation.