Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013 Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

If there is a cold pool present it could be like latish November 1993

Yes, remember that one well, it was a little disappointing because in the West Midlands we just got dustings i think on the friday / sat night, and an inch followed by a quick melt on the following wednesday, still good for November though, i have only really seen snow settling in about 4 or 5 Novembers and only one heavy fall so was just a positive to see a scandi deliver in a month where the Atlantic usually dominates.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Hi Snowy Weather, Any kind of northerly blocking will bring cold conditions generally, as for snow, it's harder to say. Hopefully some more knowledgeable folks will be able to answer that for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes, remember that one well, it was a little disappointing because in the West Midlands we just got dustings i think on the friday / sat night, and an inch followed by a quick melt on the following wednesday, still good for November though, i have only really seen snow settling in about 4 or 5 Novembers and only one heavy fall so was just a positive to see a scandi deliver in a month where the Atlantic usually dominates.

What about nov 19th 1996? where were you? Ive not had a snowier day since

Posted

Im quite new to this forum and do not know the first thing about charts. I would be very grateful if someone could explain why this chart is good for cold weather and what it means. Thanks you

Also what conditions do we need to produce heavy snow and cold weather for the south east, if any one could explain I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Hi Snowy weather I will try and explain.Firstly you can see a quite impressive scandi high with winds coming from the east from what would be a very cold continent should a chart like that verify, a bit like the December 2010 event we had. If the upper air is cold enough any convection over the north sea would turn to sleet/snow. For snow in the south east and infact any where in low land UK we need cold upper temperatures -8 and below usually do quite well for most places.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

Im quite new to this forum and do not know the first thing about charts. I would be very grateful if someone could explain why this chart is good for cold weather and what it means. Thanks you

Also what conditions do we need to produce heavy snow and cold weather for the south east, if any one could explain I would be very grateful. Thanks.

I am no expert in terms of being able to understand the physics behind meteorology but basically there are a number of different synoptical setups which bring snow to Britain, the one above, coincidentally is the best one for the South East, High pressure over scandinavia draws in winds from an easterly direction which as you might expect with Russia and Siberia at about the same lattitude brings in bitterly cold air in winter, it does not always bring snow, this depends on the tightness of the isobars on the surface pressure chart, tighter they are the stronger the wind, and then there is the temperature of the air above us to consider (most importantly about 1.5km off the ground which you can see on this chart here).

cfs-2-1434.png

Minus 8 or below likely to give some hefty showers for the South East, -12 likely to completely blast the floodgates wide open and send some heavy falls of snow righ inland as well.

Thats as good as i can explain it in short but there is some guides somewhere on here which i will try to find for you.

What about nov 19th 1996? where were you? Ive not had a snowier day since

about an inch / inch and a half, i was in the west midlands, the most i have seen by a country mile in November was about 30th Nov 2010 in saddleworth, West Yorkshire when 6 inches fell in about 2 and a half hours.

Posted

Hi Snowy Weather, Any kind of northerly blocking will bring cold conditions generally, as for snow, it's harder to say. Hopefully some more knowledgeable folks will be able to answer that for you.

Ok thanks. I really hope we get lots of snow like in nov/dec 2010. That was legendary. We got around 30cm of snow and it layed there for so so long. Schools were closed for so long as well and I did not have any exams that following jan so it was so awesome. It was nice their we're no cars on the roads, everything stood still for a long time and their was a real Christmassy feel. Fingers crossed for something Even better this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ok thanks. I really hope we get lots of snow like in nov/dec 2010. That was legendary. We got around 30cm of snow and it layed there for so so long. Schools were closed for so long as well and I did not have any exams that following jan so it was so awesome. It was nice their we're no cars on the roads, everything stood still for a long time and their was a real Christmassy feel. Fingers crossed for something Even better this year.

Nov/Dec 2010 was legendary even for here, 27th Nov- 27th Dec it either snowed, or snow on ground, never as high as 30cms mind you, maximum possible here I think around 15cms

Posted

Here is the Netweather guide to snow setups, and a guide to forecasting snow, both by members of the forecast team on here.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/20474-winter-snow-setups/

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/27989-how-to-try-and-forecast-snow/

Posted

Have a read of this snowy weather which is found in the net-weather guides and written by thundery wintry showers. good.gif

http://forum.netweat...s/#entry1577131

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

No probs,

As others have mentioned, cold upper air temps will bring snow pretty much anywhere if there is the right setup. The winter of 09/10 for me was better (locally) than 10/11 but only because of the way the weather was set up. We had a north easterly blocking with a Jet tracking south east from the the north west which created a "battleground" scenario. 24+ hours of snowfall straight.

Read through the model threads and you will pick up lots of snippits of info.

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted

Nov/Dec 2010 was awesome here with 45cm of snow in the fields around the 3rd of Dec.I would love to see a repeat of those snow depths this coming winter lol.

Posted

Nov/Dec 2010 was awesome here with 45cm of snow in the fields around the 3rd of Dec.I would love to see a repeat of those snow depths this coming winter lol.

I can vouch for that 45cm as I remembered been gutted that the same front stalled further south over you guys, then we got the grubby leftovers as it drifted back north again! cray.gif

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I can vouch for that 45cm as I remembered been gutted that the same front stalled further south over you guys, then we got the grubby leftovers as it drifted back north again! cray.gif

I remember that so well, guys in north Mids south Yorks got plastered and I was incredibly jealous.. oh well, we still did well though, parts of Leeds having a foot of the stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Nice to read of that November period in 2010, truly exceptional.

Also gives me the opportunity to dig out my favourite chart. North Sea snow machine with Lake Effect snow.

post-7292-0-86421200-1348256906_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

What are the chances of getting snow in October, like October 2008? tease.gif

Posted

Also gives me the opportunity to dig out my favourite chart. North Sea snow machine with Lake Effect snow.

Belting chart but i dont think that delivered for me personally, can you remember what day that was?, i think we got battered on the monday night / tuesday morning but only got showers for the rest of the week.

Might have been tuesday into wed.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Greenland bathed in warmth :p

Posted

Aye Lorenzo, that chart's a classic and so was that short, but impressive snowfall that night.

As to my thoughts on the winter, I'm going to wait until the end of October at least to see how conditions in the NH are panning out aswell as the snow cover. At this moment I'd say that anything is possible regarding how crazy a year it's been for weather and I've got high hopes and it's great to see that the winter excitement has begun on netweather.

Posted

What are the chances of getting snow in October, like October 2008? tease.gif

Its the only time i have ever seen snow in Oct and being that i have been alive 36 years, i would say 1 in 36!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Classic undercutter with the Jet diving south taking all the energy under the block which would be a classic in its own right, but for mid November........

cfs-0-1434.png

I take it there was a different run showing when you posted? That is NOT a Russian HP with undercutting, its opposite way round with huge trough to east, North Atlantic ridge and northerly winds....

BFTP

Posted

Its the only time i have ever seen snow in Oct and being that i have been alive 36 years, i would say 1 in 36!!!!!

sorry.gif

Posted

I take it there was a different run showing when you posted? That is NOT a Russian HP with undercutting, its opposite way round with huge trough to east, North Atlantic ridge and northerly winds....

BFTP

Yes a totally different chart to what i posted, the chart i posted was an easterly, i will find it for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

For a 5 year old it would be 1 in 5 .. lol..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/oct/29/weather-london

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yes a totally different chart to what i posted, the chart i posted was an easterly, i will find it for you.

Which shows the extent of uncertainty the models are trying to deal with...Is the noise louder than the signal?