Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013 Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

We're 6-7 miles east of Salford and we had quite a bit in Feb 2009, it fell overnight. It was wind driven aswell, in the field here we had some slight drifting too.

And in 2009 /2010 Oldham and Saddleworth got some unbelievable snow and i got a decent falls in Salford it was nowhere near as good as places to the east, i then said right ive had enough of this and moved out here and guess what happened in 2010, yes you have guessed it, even places further West like Blackpool and on the coast got a pasting!!!!

I will Just throw a question out there, it is a hypathetical one as i probably would not be able to raise enough cash to enter into a six month tenancy agreement again at this stage but just in case i could, where do people on here think is the best place to move, the best allround place i mean, one that does not just rely on one synoptic, Flash, Buxton, Edale and places just West of Sheffield i would say, im talking within reason though, i could not move to Scotland or somewhere very far, i could probably manage North Yorks or Cumbria at a push

Anyone else getting settled snow on April 4th?

The 4th april 2012? Yes a good few inches but it melted really quickly, trees were brought down and roads closed around here, some of the higher routes got some big drifts as well.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

There really isn't any one particular direction or type of snow event that is outstanding for the Glasgow area. Some frontal snowfalls such as March 2006 have brought some very good depths to the area but more often than not Glasgow misses out on these type of events due to a number of factors.

The western side of the central belt can come out well from snow showers coming in from the west/north west in events such as December 20th 2009 and December 4th/5th 2011 but there are many hurdles than need to be tackled in order to get something out of these events with the mountains of Argyll intercepting most of the snow showers so strength of wind, favourable alignment of showers and heavy, regular showers would be required.

Easterlies can be fantastic such as late November 2010, more often than not snow showers struggle to make their way to this side of the central belt during easterlies. Northerlies normally only bring a few light snow showers this far south in Scotland.

A streamer through the Forth-Clyde valley is often best for snow here.

Posted

Battleground events are probably the best for NW England, providing the cold air wins out. 5th February 1996 is the more recent standout example, but in the past I believe late January 1940 was a monster event. The circumstances of the war meant that not much information about the event was made public.

Arctic winds swinging round from the northwest are good for Irish Sea streamers (December 2009 & 2010), but even better are when polar lows and troughs develop in the flow. December 1981 is probably a good example (I wasn't around then though). I think 28th December 2000 was a polar low event.

with rare exceptions so called 'battleground events' do not usually deliver, other than in a very temporary way, any significant snow, certainly not for lying snow.

At any rate that was my experience 1964-1985.

Posted

Anyone else getting settled snow on April 4th?

10 Inches 3rd April 2012 after record breaking heat in March.post-2744-0-74037600-1348783345_thumb.jppost-2744-0-82305300-1348783390_thumb.jppost-2744-0-33834800-1348783438_thumb.jp

What followed was the coldest wettest spring and early summer up to the middle of July apart from the last week in May which was hot I can ever remember.

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

And in 2009 /2010 Oldham and Saddleworth got some unbelievable snow and i got a decent falls in Salford it was nowhere near as good as places to the east, i then said right ive had enough of this and moved out here and guess what happened in 2010, yes you have guessed it, even places further West like Blackpool and on the coast got a pasting!!!!

I will Just throw a question out there, it is a hypathetical one as i probably would not be able to raise enough cash to enter into a six month tenancy agreement again at this stage but just in case i could, where do people on here think is the best place to move, the best allround place i mean, one that does not just rely on one synoptic, Flash, Buxton, Edale and places just West of Sheffield i would say, im talking within reason though, i could not move to Scotland or somewhere very far, i could probably manage North Yorks or Cumbria at a push

To be honest I think the best place in England if you like snow is the North York Moors. Just far enough inland aswell and on target for north sea snow from either a northerly or easterly. Also Buxton, Flash and even where you are right now are good places. But again North York Moors would be the best bet.

Edited by Alan Medlock Valley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

A belting setup for the pennines but im sure it would have delivered something for areas just West of the pennines as well, i was in the West Midlands at the time though and remember seeing B'ham city centre on the news and baring in mind it was a weekend only 2 weeks before xmas and it was a ghost town then that tells you it was a potent fall, about 8-10 inches very quickly in the early hours of the saturday morning and a real big crack of thunder thrown in at about 3 or 4 am, i rushed to the window worried it was going to have turned to rain but it was still belting down with massive flakes, i was about 9 miles South West of B'ham city centre at the time.

archives-1990-12-8-0-0.png

Anyone have a video forecast for that?, its one of the few left that are not on you tube yet, very grateful if someone would upload it.

I recall this very well as its the only time I have seen knee deep snow in the centre of Nottingham. I don't think it stayed around for long though, a day or two at best!

Edited by Never-Snows-In-Notts

Posted

To be honest I think the best place in England if you like snow is the North York Moors. Just far enough inland aswell and on target for north sea snow from either a northerly or easterly. Also Buxton, Flash and even where you are right now are good places. But again North York Moors would be the best bet.

This is a good location but im only at 600ft, there are parts which are upwards of 1000ft, I have looked at North Yorks but there are not many villages upwards of 1000ft, ideally i would like to get further east so if a stonking Easterly did occur i would get full benefit but also want as much elevation so marginals also deliver, the thing about here is that a lot of convective snow from a North Westerly seems to either just miss us to the North or the South, that said i have only been here 2 winters so too small a sample size and i also believe that an easterly and more probably a North easterly could deliver feet of snow here so yes a very good place compared to most of England but always worth looking to upgrade being a die hard winter fan.

Posted

I recall this very well as its the only time I have seen knee deep snow in the centre of Nottingham. I don't think it stayed around for long though, a day or two at best!

Yes i only got the one day off school on the monday but i think it lasted longer the further North because i spoke to someone from where i live now and he said there were drifts 5 feet deep and cars abandoned on the A62 and they had to take a pregnant woman in to there home for 2 days because no one could move anywhere!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

This is a good location but im only at 600ft, there are parts which are upwards of 1000ft, I have looked at North Yorks but there are not many villages upwards of 1000ft, ideally i would like to get further east so if a stonking Easterly did occur i would get full benefit but also want as much elevation so marginals also deliver, the thing about here is that a lot of convective snow from a North Westerly seems to either just miss us to the North or the South, that said i have only been here 2 winters so too small a sample size and i also believe that an easterly and more probably a North easterly could deliver feet of snow here so yes a very good place compared to most of England but always worth looking to upgrade being a die hard winter fan.

How about Alston in Cumbria, it is apparently 1,000 feet up. Right on the spine of the Pennines. Might be a shortage of houses though for rent there due to the size of the place.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

We don't seem to do to bad here.....biggrin.png

Posted

How about Alston in Cumbria, it is apparently 1,000 feet up. Right on the spine of the Pennines. Might be a shortage of houses though for rent there due to the size of the place.

Yes thats the problem, its getting one for £550 per month as well and preferably less, Flash is the highest village in the whole of the UK at nearly 1500ft but there is nothing for rent there in the searches. Cheers for the input anyway.

Posted

Queensbury in West Yorks is another town that does very well, again being near 1000 feet, you will find it less hard getting a place there with it being bigger, also not that far to move compared to Cumbria

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

CFS v2 1 month is very indicative of a cold spell as we head into November. Quite consistent that run...

Where the 9 month has gone for a Hurricane hitting the UK!! That's one deep bloody Atlantic storm...

nq4hlg.png

vwpkjl.png

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

What's the best for the north midlands eg stoke . We normally do well from the Cheshire gap effect and given the higher elevation than most parts of Cheshire we normally get snow were as I know people who live in Crewe who don't get as much

haha we never get much in Crewe......haven't seen over 5cm in as long as I can remember......probably late Dec 2000 was the last time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

We do pretty well for snow in Leeds. I don't think there's ever been a winter here when there hasn't been settling snow at some point, definitely every winter in my memory has had falling snow.

We also had to be one of the lowest locations back in April to get settling snow. I'm at 86 meters above sea level and got a few cm.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Leeds always does well. I can safely say I'm very happy with my location when it comes to snowfall. We do well in battle ground scenarios, Easterlies, North Westerlies etc. The only places that tend to do better are villages up on the hills in the Pennines and the Highlands.

Feb 2009 for example we saw 20cm when it rained across most places in the NE. Feb 2011 we saw 10cm of snow while it was sunny and 11.c in the south and in April this year we saw a few cm's. Marginal situations tend to do pretty well here. My only gripe is wanting to be even higher up as the magic snow level tends to be around 400m where it consistently snows when the 850's are 0.c. But then if I lived way high-up it would be in a village and not the city.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

You live in a large city, but with pretty snowy winters by UK standards. I think you've got it good.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

If only the GFS T384 chart was in December. Channel low perfection!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Some fantastic N. Blocking on the GFS in late FI.

Something that GP was alluding to the other day.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Well we've had wintry showers here today! Temp is currently just 3C & the dew point is 2C. Bearing in mind thats during daylight, in September and it's from a SW'ly direction!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

CFS v2 1 month is very indicative of a cold spell as we head into November. Quite consistent that run...

Where the 9 month has gone for a Hurricane hitting the UK!! That's one deep bloody Atlantic storm...

nq4hlg.png

vwpkjl.png

cor, that 2nd one will have Scotland high levels under 6 metres of snow, south though sleet at best

Posted

haha we never get much in Crewe......haven't seen over 5cm in as long as I can remember......probably late Dec 2000 was the last time

I spent 18 months at 16 MU near Stafford way back in 1956 and on returning to camp via Crewe in 1956 found fairly deep snow in Crewe however when

we reached Stafford it was very very deep with considerable drifting making it impossible for any transport to take us to camp from the station ,it was a couple of miles and we had to walk with our kit bags in low low temperatures of around -5c in the early hours of the morning- it was pretty exhausting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The 6z GFS Fi as you would expect was very different to the overnight run (00Z). Here is 2 charts showing the difference, really says alot about Fi to me, look at the difference. I have posted it here, instead of model output as i believe it was starting to show northern blocking which will be very good for us this winter.

00Z GFSpost-15543-0-57472900-1348832692_thumb.p

6Z GFSpost-15543-0-84679700-1348832716_thumb.p

Edited by Mark 'Ox' Neal