Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summer Sun

Gas Explosion Leaves 63 Year Old Man In Hospital And Closes East Coast Main Line

The East Coast Main Line is currently closed between Darlington and Newcastle due to a Major fire and Gas explosion at Albert Hill in Darlington the Bishop Auckland line is still running but the ECML will remain closed until further notice

An Air Ambulance is currently on scene it has also airlifted a man with burns, head and arm injuries to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Newcastle. The 63-year-old is said to be in a serious condition.

A spokesman for Darlington Police said: "We are responding to a multi agency incident on the Cleveland Trading Estate - the Air Ambulance is on scene."

Meanwhile, Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue added: "We currently have four fire appliances and one aerial ladder on the scene. It is a single story premises of about 10m in size. It is a gas conversion for motor cars that is well alight."

Firefighters believe the explosion was caused between propane and oxy acetylene cylinders.

The fire is now under control and an investigation is set to begin shortly.

_63013937_firecrews.jpg

The East Coast Main Line is currently closed between Darlington and Newcastle due to a Major fire and Gas explosion at Albert Hill in Darlington the Bishop Auckland line is still running but the ECML will remain closed until further notice

An Air Ambulance is currently on scene it has also airlifted a man with burns, head and arm injuries to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Newcastle. The 63-year-old is said to be in a serious condition.

A spokesman for Darlington Police said: "We are responding to a multi agency incident on the Cleveland Trading Estate - the Air Ambulance is on scene."

Meanwhile, Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue added: "We currently have four fire appliances and one aerial ladder on the scene. It is a single story premises of about 10m in size. It is a gas conversion for motor cars that is well alight."

Firefighters believe the explosion was caused between propane and oxy acetylene cylinders.

The fire is now under control and an investigation is set to begin shortly.

_63013937_firecrews.jpg

Is that anywhere near you? Can you see any smoke etc?

There was a similar incident near me around a year ago when gas cylinders exploded and closed the main railway line for a few hours.

Is that anywhere near you? Can you see any smoke etc?

There was a similar incident near me around a year ago when gas cylinders exploded and closed the main railway line for a few hours.

No I'm just under 2 miles away but I could see the smoke at the height of the fire

The East coast main line has been shut for 1hr 30 mins now and people are been advised to travel on the west coast main line if possible

A replacement bus service in operation

The East Coast Main Line remains shut due to presence of gas cylinders in the vicinity

This is whats left of the unit

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/images/2163557/?type=articleLandscape

No I'm just under 2 miles away but I could see the smoke at the height of the fire

The East coast main line has been shut for 1hr 30 mins now and people are been advised to travel on the west coast main line if possible

A replacement bus service in operation

The East Coast Main Line remains shut due to presence of gas cylinders in the vicinity

This is whats left of the unit

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/images/2163557/?type=articleLandscape

The West Coast Main Line is the opposite side of the country. How do they expect passengers to get over there? Lol.

Must be hectic at the train stations in that area then. Hope the gentleman injured recovers too.

The West Coast Main Line is the opposite side of the country. How do they expect passengers to get over there? Lol.

Must be hectic at the train stations in that area then. Hope the gentleman injured recovers too.

If you are in Birmingham or Edinburgh / Glasgow then you can use the West Coast Main Line to / from Birmingham to Scotland

The line has reopened after been shut for 2 hours

Yes my thoughts are with the Gent injured hope he makes a speedy recovery