Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Frost Watch Autumn 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

There have been ground frosts here most days this week but today was the first air frost. It got down to -0.3c. Clear again tonight so another possible air frost. Currently 5.4C..and falling quickly.

Posted

Another day with the temperature around 0C (probably a little below) and it was the best frost we've had yet here, there have been two or three light, developing frosts on surfaces such as car roof tops but today's frost a lasted longer into the morning and covered many surfaces.

It's currently 6C here, can tonight be even colder?

Posted

Last three nights have delivered a ground frost, and we got close to freezing point on Sunday morning, however, we experienced our first air frost of the season back on the 22nd September and our first ground frost as early as late August. Suspect we won't see an air frost tonight but we should see another ground frost. To see a clutch of nights between 0-2 degrees in early October is quite notable.. in some years it has taken until December before such a clutch as occured.

We really need cold uppers associated with arctic air at this time of year to see notably very cold conditions - a northerly followed by a ridge is the ideal set up - something we saw in mid October 1993, when Shap recorded -9 degrees. However, high pressure and average uppers can easily produce minima as low as -5 degrees in the Highlands at this time of year - just as we saw last night.

Posted

Looks like tonight will be the first air frost as we're on 0.6C now.

Previous low was 1C, there have been at least four ground frosts.

Posted

near misses but not a frost yet in this area,mind you my first recorded frost here is 14 oct so not that surprised,good to see things under way elsewhere.

Posted

The effect of even a slight breeze was well illustrated last night.

It was almost calm until about 1am then a breeze picked up which lifted temperature from -0.6C to about 3C very rapidly.

frost.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A second consecutive air frost here last night though only just at -0.1C. Last year at this time it was double figure night temps.

Posted

Not had an air frost yet though but several ground frosts and Dyce recorded its first September air frost since 1991smile.png

Mean min over the past month has been just 5.7C with three nights below 2C. The same period of 2011 had a mean min of 9.6C and only two nights below 6C.

It's the irritating breeze that keeps preventing an air frost being recorded. Yesterday was the first calm evening but it was cloudy until about 11pm. Got down to +0.9C but would have definitely had an air frost had the cloud cleared earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Not an air or ground frost here yet, but that is to be expected in this area of the country. First ground frost here last year was mid October with 1.6C and 0.9C recorded on two consecutive mornings, with the first air frost, believe it or not, on the 29th of November, showing just how mild last Autumn was. We saw another air frost on the 31st, so meteorological Autumn 2011 saw a total of two air frosts! It looks like we could see more than that here before October is out, with 2 or 3C occurring frequently at the moment, and things set to get steadily cooler.

Posted

We reached a low of 1.1C this morning which is pretty respectable considering the earliest air frost here in 32 years of records is 15th October.

It took until 17th December last year to record one, which is the 4th latest date in the same time period. The latest was in winter 1986/87; that year we didnt get an air frost until 3rd January!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

As far as I'm aware there has been no ground frost here so far this autumn - came close last night but the cloud invaded so that was scuppered. We've had clear nights but no calm nights, the slightest breeze, as insignificant as it may be, has a massive effect.

Our first air frost in 2010 was in October, we had two such nights, our first ground frost last Autumn was in October too but our first air frost wasn't until December.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

No ground frost here yet,came close on two nights with temps getting down to 4c. I dont usually start to get frosts here till around late oct anyway.

As for air frosts i dont usually start to get them until the second half of nov. So in most autumns i only get a handfull,last autumn i didnt get any at all. In fact since feb 2011 air frosts here have been few and far between,ive only recorded 7 or 8 air frosts since then. In the 1-2 years leading up to feb 2011 i must have recorded more then 7 or 8 times that number due to the big cold spells.

Edited by sundog

Posted

Had a couple of air frosts in October 2010. Perhaps unsurprising considering 2010 was the frostiest year on record, countrywide (slightly more than 1963 and 1979)

I suspect there will be a ground frost coming up with lows around 3c. -2.1c record set in October 2010 looks unlikely to be beaten though.

Posted

First substantial frost in Eclles,Greater manchester.Everywhere white with frost and fog,it's beautiful.I am going for a walk before this patchy fog goes.The temp is -1 in my surburb but lower i suspect a mile wlk from here.

Edited by greybing

Posted

Couple of minor frosts so far this year. Proper one last night, with the temperature falling below freezing by 11pm. It's currently -2.8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

There's a ground frost here too. Looks like it could be widespread this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

First Air Frost of the season here :) Got down to -0.5c.

Am starting to think I am in a bit of a frost hollow here in a valley near the North Downs.

Posted

first ground frost for me, quite a bit of white about first thing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Nowhere near an air frost here yet this season due to the usual inversion developing on clear nights but last night did provide the 5th ground frost this month.