Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Advice On Davis Vantage Vue Purchase

exodus

Posted

Hi Everyone,

Been a site member for a while now, normally a winter visitor more than a summer. ALWAYS wanted a weather station and this year taking the plunge and looking to invest in a Davis Vantage Vue. My question is about where I buy it... Can I buy one from the USA as i have the opportunity to... I understand that the plug would be US but i'm not so worried about that, and as far as I can tell, I can probably either order the Metric version or get the replacement rain spoon for metric which is apparently easy to change? But are there any issues with getting any spare parts etc... in the UK for a US model? Any other issues I should be aware of or will I be ok?

Thanks!

Richard

Posted

It won't be transmitting on a legal UK frequency either.

Unlikely you will get caught out with that though.

But if you wanted a 2nd console for another room you would have to get the appropriate one from USA again.

Customs will charge you VAT and import tax, savings are not as great as they appear bearing in mind possible hassle should there be a warranty issue.

Posted

Ah yes, forgot the frequency thing... If a friend is bringing it back from USA, could it be a present and thus not be charged for customs/import tax? So you reckon just swallow it up and buy it here? I'm really interested in linking it up to my computer to record data and maybe subsequently putting this online. Am I tied in to having to pay the extortionate costs of Weatherlink and weatherlink IP or are there alternatives that could save me some of the outlay? Thanks for your quick reply!

Richard

Posted

I got my cheep here

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/

Id also recommend them good quality for money unlike when i got mine from weathershop.co.uk came in faulty condition sent it back got a refund then re-ordered from weatherstations.co.uk and i wasnt disapointed :).

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Don't need to worry about it being American., The UK Weathershop down in Eastbourne sells them. They are a very good station and the wireless transmission is very reliable. However, as an all-in-one they are obviously a bit of a compromise. Site them too low down and you'll get great temperature/rainfall readings but the wind readings will be off and vice-versa. However, if you have Weather Display software you can use a Vantage Vue and a Vortex Inspeed anemometer in tandem without problem.

Posted

The Vue console can receive a 2nd station for wind only.

This could be another Vue - bit odd but an option - or a special anemometer kit from Davis.

I picked up a used VP2 "condition unknown" from ebay for about £70 and the anemometer and wireless transmitting box worked fine in this arrangement.

Since then I got a replacement temp/humidity for the VP2 - which was found faulty - and am using the full suite on the Vue console as the used VP2 did not come with console - which was why they weren't sure if it was working.

The Vue is in storage ready to go as backup when something else fails eventually.